Sign in to follow this  
Max Branning

What do you class as high mileage ?

Had one in yesterday looking at a 12 plate done 118k, he didnt know the mileage at first but saw the car loved it, loved the price, as soon as he found out it had done more than 100k he nearly fell on the floor !

This is a diesel btw so to me personally with decent history 118k is nothing on a nearly 9 year old car, just above average you could say.

100k seems to still be the magic number with customers, anything over this and they feel its "high mileage" and not much life left. I feel more like 200k should be the magic number ?

As we only do very small engines no diesels the magic number I have found is 80k anything after that they think doctor who owned it. 

way i look at it ...................condition is very subjective......................  low miles the sort of miles that make you different to everyone else now thats  a material fact, its a huge bargaining point, For an easy life i tend to go for  less than 100k on Diesels  lower the better and 80k for petrol's again lower the better

we all know however that a  150k diesel thats been serviced 10 times has a whole  lot of life left in it, Buying public are still thinking its  a high mileage car

5 minutes ago, C B said:

My dad (he has 0 knowledge of the motor trade) runs his cars on the tightest of budgets, scrimps and save wherever he car and 'lives' with certain issues. How is his car which will have 2 owners on it better than a 6 owner car which has potentially been retailed 6 times and therefore gone through more prep, MOT's, services, warranty clams, good will gestures and that new owner TLC than the 2 owner car.

Unless it sold priviately everytime and never been touched

I find it depends on the amount of miles the prospective punter does on average or what the cars they have had have done. 

We get some right fussy (often older) customers here on the south coast-and anything above 70 is often a problem & over a 100? you get the impression they think it’s a scrapper!

Obviously the internet has luckily widened the audience, as elsewhere in the country I think attitudes differ. 

I think a lot of it stems back to when a clock ran to 99999 then went back to 0

100k has been around the clock !

I like the leggy stuff personally, always a bit wary of low mileage diesels, why does someone buy a 3.0 diesel to do 5k a year in ?

My sales this week have done the following miles, 157k, 151k, 129k, 97k, 109k, 19k. Some good margins in them too. 

I would consider over 15K miles a year high. Would sell them with no hesitation though. 

Depends on the car I think. Some people see their purchase as something they will sell after a year or two so they are thinking of resale value. Someone buying a car they are going to be driving for the next 5 years don’t want to think a 100k car will have 150k on by the time they are finished with the car and can’t sell it. 

I recently had a 12 plate 1.6tdci mondeo in with 184k on the clock, full history every 10k from new and it honestly drove like the day it left the Ford showroom. Couldn’t fault it at all, even the bodywork was near mint.

On the other hand though I also once had an ex driving school Peugeot 207 with 170k and it was definitely ready for scrap. Every part on it was completely knackered.

Edited by Lakeside

It's a British thing! Our continental friends are more sensible when it comes to 100k +  cars.  Modern lubricants are so good most engines will last to 250k. I've sold a few high mileage cars.. Most people that buy higher mileage cars have a bit of sense.. 

I have sold 16 cars this month -

lowest 58k miles 118d Msport convertible auto - highest 140,000 520d m sport auto - anything will sell if it looks nice and is the right price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc said:

It's a British thing! Our continental friends are more sensible when it comes to 100k +  cars.  Modern lubricants are so good most engines will last to 250k. I've sold a few high mileage cars.. Most people that buy higher mileage cars have a bit of sense.. 

It’s all about service history to me. Service every 12k or year and that gives me a lot more confidence selling it. I ran an E36 328 to 196k without issue, but Fsh, despite 7 owners before me. 

Edited by CCC

I have a customer with an over 300k 1.9 T5 that still goes strong, doesnt smoke or rattle

Anything over 100k i struggle to sell.

Over 100k is high...120 to 150k+ is where you can expect major problems with a car...

Gearbox, pistons, top end, bottom end, oil leaks ...Thats the point where you decide whether you scrap it or spend tons of money on it...

Before trade days i bought a 56 vectra with 113k... Replaced flywheel at 140... 146 the gearbox went! Had good service hisrory and that but service history means peanuts unless major components have been changed

• Like 1

I had a  Mazda 6  a 2.2 TDi some time ago, Some national sales manager for a drinks company, That had 223k on it one owner 18 services with the first 100k all done at Mazda, I have driven loads of high mileage German stuff and of course they take the miles well, I drove this  and it was truly unbelievable it really was tight  had excellent suspension and body control, all the interior and switch gear gave no sighs of the  mega miles, Only  small giveaway was the  drivers seat that felt a little flat,

He  did  quite rightly say...............  where is the wear in an engine doing 2000 rpm in 6th gear for 2-3  hours 2 times a day as he was visiting customers

That car really was an eye opener, It  drove perfect, Brought it at a  £1000 and sold it 3 days  later £1500 to taxi man, 

A 3 year old 120,000 mile company car, serviced regardless of cost, is a different beast to a 120,000 mile 10 year old car.

• Like 1

I think if the cars under 10 years old, had low owners and has been looked after (ie getting the advisories done and serviced on time), mileage isn't an issue up until 150k

1 hour ago, met said:

How about the 256k prius at paddock wood tomorrow?

All yours SIR :)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

All yours SIR :)

I sit and think wtf... Or what the hell was all that about... When people go mad for a scrapper... A shity run around small car around a grand... Or a high mileage donkey 

:lol:

21 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Or a high mileage donkey 

A lot of that at auction is a buyer who is planning on exporting it. 250K miles turn into 75K and the car is sold abroad with no service or MOT records. A newish Audi A8 with almost 200K on the clock and book value of 8000 recently made £13000 at Brighouse. I bet a proud new owner in Malaysia or similar paid over £25K and regard it as the bargain of a lifetime :-)

• Like 1