andymc1973

How’s January started out?

Up here in the north east it appears some are still quiet whilst others are firing cars out, I sold 4 between Xmas and new year and 3 this week, The job still feels very slow to me and a lot of punters are more hard work than normal, finance dreamers are out in force and the last price brigade are on the upsurge. 

Hows everyone else getting on?

After an awful December (we sold 1 car), January has started pretty well.

Four this week so well on our way for our monthly target of 10, fingers crossed!

-Kelly-

Same old January almost impossible to buy anything the prices some people are paying is eye watering 

3 this week so not complaining and got somebody on route for a golf so hoping that will be gone today, not looking forward to bca Leeds tomorrow

Edited by Tony911

There’s not a lot out there to buy to be honest, just wondered if the job was on fire elsewhere? 

4 Friday 4 Saturday nothing today until a handover turned up I forgot was coming. Only call I have had was someone asking checking if something was still for sale and a wrong number for another garage - On the subject of that if someone has a punter turn up to look at a Vito today asking for Aussie Derek its my fault I gave in on the 4th time of him calling and put on an Australian accent and said if he could get here in an hour with cash he could have 2 grand off. 

• Like 2

Not bad for me, 2 away this week with plenty of phone calls etc, had a crap viewing today though, slated the car from the off. Said he worked in the car trade but wouldn't tell me where or doing what, was adamant it has been exported at some point because there was a small dent in the sill (for a strap), cut him short and said it wasn't the car for him and tried to send him on his way when he asked what I'd take for it gone today, asked him what he was working towards and he wanted 750 off....... He was quickly shown the door.

Just off the aeroplane last night.

I had my phone on constant divert “Please phone on the 8th IF you’re still interested”, and the same with my emails.

The standard of enquiries appear to be little different to usual - stupid offers, last price brigade etc. All ignored while I indulged in some foreign hospitality.

Already had a few phone calls today. I wouldn’t describe them as ‘leads’ as such, more like wankers with no money suffering from over optimism.

• Like 3

It doesn’t take long for the bastards to snap you out of holiday mode. I’ve stopped going. Just the thought of the trip to the airport is enough for me. Don’t know how long I’ll get away with it though before her indoors says otherwise. 

Much busier all of a sudden. 308 eBay guy has confirmed so that’s six so far. 

the utter scruffy penniless dreamers I'm getting make me feel like the Statue of Liberty

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 0:54 PM, andymc1973 said:

There’s not a lot out there to buy to be honest, just wondered if the job was on fire elsewhere? 

BCA have a whopping 34,000 cars in their system! Ive never seen that figure so high.

28 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

the utter scruffy penniless dreamers I'm getting make me feel like the Statue of Liberty

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

It’s a bit better than Angel of the North.......You can get treatment Andy....I saw some tempest tossed prices at Brighouse today,went for 3 got 1.( a grand over c/c) never do any good there.

47 minutes ago, Stalker said:

BCA have a whopping 34,000 cars in their system! Ive never seen that figure so high.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Look at some of the sale dates 5 + weeks away and probably not even in their possession

We’ve done 5 and 2 that were sold from last year collected

Realistically I need to fill 5-6 spaces though so that’s next challenge.

1 out of 6, but plenty of enquiries on other cars. Expect 2-3 to go this week all being well.

Ticking along. Not been as busy as some January's but got 4 on the doors all with reasonable profits. Not too bad considering my stock is 8 to 12 cars.

Can I be Bill Murray and just start again?

After a cracking 2018 I started the year with high hopes to ride out the Brexshit worries, improve marketing, make both sites more visibly appealing, cut costs, improve service, quicker turnover without sacrificing profit, etc.

Ten days in and i've got engine failures (multiple), refunds (two counts as multiple), ECU failures/issues (multiple), gearbox failures (OK just the one, but it was bloody expensive to put right) and mould (multiplying at quite a rate although I think we have a grip on it now).

It's a rant. We all get times like it, but right at the start of a new year just isn't fair...it's really made a dent in my new years resolution to drink less and exercise more.

Prices haven’t been as high at BCA in the midlands than they have at this time in previous years, but that could be due to their high stock levels? As stalker said they seam to have a lot of cars at the min, maybe a backlog due to having no auctions over the Xmas period? Who knows, but every sale at Walsall, Measham, Perry Barr, Wolverhampton and Derby this week have been stacked full.  

Edited by Lakeside

9 hours ago, grant8064 said:

Can I be Bill Murray and just start again?

After a cracking 2018 I started the year with high hopes to ride out the Brexshit worries, improve marketing, make both sites more visibly appealing, cut costs, improve service, quicker turnover without sacrificing profit, etc.

Ten days in and i've got engine failures (multiple), refunds (two counts as multiple), ECU failures/issues (multiple), gearbox failures (OK just the one, but it was bloody expensive to put right) and mould (multiplying at quite a rate although I think we have a grip on it now).

It's a rant. We all get times like it, but right at the start of a new year just isn't fair...it's really made a dent in my new years resolution to drink less and exercise more.

I feel your pain Grant.  Same for us, started promisingly - first day back and an immediate straight forward sale.  Second day - walk on for Clio - never came back/timewaster, Third day - no show on MX-5, Fourth day - walk on for Punto - never came back/timewaster, Fifth day - Chap keeps calling saying he is almost certain he wants our Fabia - gone away.

On top of that 2 x warranty claims.

Shit start to the year for me but do have an appointment at 4pm today on V50 - fingers crossed. 

18 minutes ago, Lakeside said:

Prices haven’t been as high at BCA in the midlands than they have at this time in previous years, but that could be due to their high stock levels? As stalker said they seam to have a lot of cars at the min, maybe a backlog due to having no auctions over the Xmas period? Who knows, but every sale at Walsall, Measham, Perry Barr, Wolverhampton and Derby this week have been stacked full.  

Apart from the 66 plate  RS6 at Perry Barr VW/Audi Sale earlier in the week that was cap clean £59k and did £66k I wanted to buy. 

Slowed down here.

After 4 last week, we've had nothing yet this week and the enquiries have slowed down once more. Hoping to get some wheels turning over the weekend!

3 minutes ago, RJEauto said:

Slowed down here.

After 4 last week, we've had nothing yet this week and the enquiries have slowed down once more. Hoping to get some wheels turning over the weekend!

Exactly the same here, 4 last week, then hardly an enquiry this week....