MarkTVS

Cars on your don’t buy list?

There very price sensitive with lots of selection around so much people tend not to travel for them so price is key

37 minutes ago, tradex said:

Never give CAP for them as they never make proper retail money, hard to find nice ones thoughB)

Never see them making less than CAP though, that's the problem.  I agree, they are plentiful so price is key.  Just shifted a 14 plate 5dr one with 33k on clock at £3995. Owed me into the £3ks, so not a great return on that one.  Oh well!

1 hour ago, CRW said:

Never see them making less than CAP though, that's the problem.  I agree, they are plentiful so price is key.  Just shifted a 14 plate 5dr one with 33k on clock at £3995. Owed me into the £3ks, so not a great return on that one.  Oh well!

Just sold one of mine 50k 2009 down to two now.

4 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

4 Cylinder BMW petrol 2008/2012 era and anyone who does sell these is asking for huge trouble at some point.

Land Rover Discoverys or Range RoverSports 2006/2013  absolute pieces of shite, selling them piece of cake keeping them away no chance.

Mini's avoided wherever possible.

According to our BMW guy, the newer 4 cylinder petrol engines are even worse.

54 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

According to our BMW guy, the newer 4 cylinder petrol engines are even worse.

My sisters 19 plate has already broken down with 3k mikes on it with fuel pump failures etc :blink:

4 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

My sisters 19 plate has already broken down with 3k mikes on it with fuel pump failures etc :blink:

Older is the way to go for reliability. Small issue of ULEZ charge to deal with, but maybe the lesser of two evils.

My 1997 328 got to 200K miles without any issues....not sure many would do that now? 

I avoid anything from Ford that says Ecoboost on it, and their durashit auto gearboxes as I've replaced several clutch packs at very low mileages. Also avoid the B Max like the plague.

Fiat Twin Air, I mean really what were they thinking?

Alfa Romeo, that's a given obviously.

Dacia, had a Sandero Stepway and it was just putrid. It was the 0.9 petrol and was horrible to drive and was made out of Renault parts that were rubbish when they were putting them in Renault's, and the plastic interior felt as cheap as the Proton Savvy if anyone remembers them?

Not keen on Mini's these days, at least when BL/Rover were building them they were cheap and shit now they're expensive and shit.

Anything from Peugeot with four numbers in, like the 3008. Don't know why really, maybe it just reminds me of the kind of bill I could be looking at to repair it when it goes wrong! £3008 :lol:

4 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

Jesus....that's unbelievable. I know BMWs look good, but I don't understand why they're so popular, considering their mechanical reputation.

22 hours ago, Del Boy said:

This! 

Oil pressure, injectors, chains... the list goes on 

...and on, and on, and on and Ariston :lol:

On 10/4/2019 at 1:28 PM, JA Trader said:

Just sold one of mine 50k 2009 down to two now.

Actually I take back everything I said sold all 3 this weekend.

On 10/3/2019 at 2:20 PM, grant8064 said:

VAG TFSI are the only engines we avoid.

What's the years on these to avoid? 

For us it's the BMW/Peugeot Prince engine - New caught directly but a few close calls out of warranty put us off them unless very low mileage. Generally find MINI's lacking in servicing as oil change interval is too great (they get more brake fluid changes than oil changes according to the schedule).

36 minutes ago, CCC said:

What's the years on these to avoid? 

For us it's the BMW/Peugeot Prince engine - New caught directly but a few close calls out of warranty put us off them unless very low mileage. Generally find MINI's lacking in servicing as oil change interval is too great (they get more brake fluid changes than oil changes according to the schedule).

VAG TFSI - 1.6 & 2.0 , 2006 through to 2012/13? and some 1.4 at upper miles.

1.8T & 2.0T are generally fine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, awc1000 said:

VAG TFSI - 1.6 & 2.0 , 2006 through to 2012/13? and some 1.4 at upper miles.

1.8T & 2.0T are generally fine.

Thanks

Minis and Peugeot 1.4 & 1.6 patrols as these are head gasket blowers. Used to buy lots of Peugeots but now, the petrol ones don't entertain me at all.

No Range Rovers, no Vauxhall’s, no Minis, no Powershifts, no ecoboosts, don’t like Citroen, Fiat, Peugeot, anything TFSI, small cars, entry models, poverty spec...... the list is endless....

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

No Range Rovers, no Vauxhall’s, no Minis, no Powershifts, no ecoboosts, don’t like Citroen, Fiat, Peugeot, anything TFSI, small cars, entry models, poverty spec...... the list is endless....

yep usual suspects, anyone want to list their favourite winners??

6 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

Minis we always do well on them. I also made £100 on a 330d .......... After i had put 20k on it of driving round for just over 12 months

4 hours ago, awc1000 said:

Favourites for profit are just any retailable swapper.

We're a forecourt so work very much to cater for the local demographic (otherwise we'd be inside an anonymous unit). Right colour DS3s, Merivas with the suicide doors and any small/med petrol auto do particularly well for us. DS3's and those Merivas are probably the kiss of death for most of you i'd imagine. 

28 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Merivas are probably the kiss of death for most of you i'd imagine. 

Of no interest to me whatsoever.

5 hours ago, JA Trader said:

I also made £100 on a 330d .......... After i had put 20k on it of driving round for just over 12 months

I can beat that (You’ve got one itchy arsehole so I’ve got two :lol:). The Mrs’s Honda auto, almost 3 years & added almost 30K miles, made £200 (admittedly that’s not factoring in 3 oil changes + discs & pads). The downside was I recently paid over a grand into book for her replacement.

The funny thing is she got the car because I couldn’t sell it originally even after advertising it at cost! And even stranger still is a few cars before that the same happened with her Corolla auto - originally I couldn’t sell it but a few years later there was a scrummage for it.

Edited by BHM

24 minutes ago, BHM said:

Of no interest to me whatsoever.

Of no interest to 99% of the forum I reckon!

13 hours ago, BHM said:

I can beat that (You’ve got one itchy arsehole so I’ve got two :lol:). The Mrs’s Honda auto, almost 3 years & added almost 30K miles, made £200 (admittedly that’s not factoring in 3 oil changes + discs & pads). The downside was I recently paid over a grand into book for her replacement.

The funny thing is she got the car because I couldn’t sell it originally even after advertising it at cost! And even stranger still is a few cars before that the same happened with her Corolla auto - originally I couldn’t sell it but a few years later there was a scrummage for it.

Cant beat a good profit over adding miles to a car. General maintenance is just good measure however i do beat you on the replacement. Won a one owner 320d for £300 great for moving shit around and running erands and returns 60mpg on a run.

On my don’t buy list? Mostly what is popular and what everyone else buys. 

What I like ... Low Mileage scarce model Alfa’s ( Something always needs doing, but I budget for that)

High Spec scarce model Jags, Merc’s, Audi’s (particularly estates) Old low miles/low owner M3, Porsche Boxster, TT

• Like 1

Every day, Digital Trends is testing cars and pitting them against their closest competitors. Out of this fray rise the cream of the crop for each segment. We routinely round up the best of each category — whether it be sedans, SUVs, or hybrids — but it was high time that we rounded up all our favorites in one convenient place so you can see the best of the best at a glance. Without further ado, here are the Digital Trends picks for the best cars overall.

The best compact car: Mazda3
2019 Mazda Mazda3 AWD review
Why should you buy this: It’s an economy car with a soul.

Who’s it for: People who want more than just basic transportation.

How much will it cost: $21,000+

Why we picked the Mazda3:

The Mazda3 is the kind of car other automakers should be building. It’s a regular compact economy car that emphasizes style and driving dynamics in a way that most of the competition doesn’t. Many regular cars feel like appliances, but not this one.

Available as a four-door sedan or five-door hatchback, the Mazda 3 isn’t particularly fast, but it’s very nice to drive. The steering and suspension respond with an immediacy other cars in this class lack, as do Mazda’s Skyactiv four-cylinder engines. All models and trim levels get a 2.5-liter engine, which sends 186 horsepower and 186 pound-feet of torque to the front wheels through six-speed manual or automatic transmissions. All wheel drive is also available.

Mazda’s Kodo design language yields a car that is handsome and distinctive, without resorting to excessive styling gimmicks. Current Mazda interiors are admittedly a bit plain, but the 3’s cabin is sensibly designed, and Mazda’s rotary knob infotainment controller is easy to use.

Like many mainstream cars these days, the 3 is also available with an array of electronic driver aids, including adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, lane departure warning, autonomous emergency braking, and traffic sign recognition.

The best luxury car: Mercedes-Benz S-Class
2018 mercedes amg s 63 4matic review 13367
Why should you buy this: It’s the luxury sedan that says, “I’ve made it.”

Who’s it for: Executives, entrepreneurs, rappers.

How much will it cost: $91,250+ (sedan)

Why we picked the Mercedes-Benz S-Class:

The S-Class has served as the flagship of the Mercedes-Benz lineup for decades.  تیرآهن 16  “It has long been the measuring stick by which luxury cars are judged,” we wrote when we drove the newest version of it. It’s well into its sixth generation, but it was recently updated with minor visual tweaks, new engines that use less gas, and a lot more tech features under the skin.

Living up to its motto, “the best or nothing,” Mercedes ensured the S is comfortable regardless of whether the owner is driving or being driven. The sedan coddles its occupants with a spacious, well-lit cabin that’s as quiet as a bank vault, and it offers some of the most comfortable seats you’ll ever sit in.

There’s an S-Class to suit every luxury buyer’s need. The lineup includes an entry-level model with a six-cylinder under the hood, a V8-powered model, an immensely powerful variant made by Mercedes-AMG, and a pair of ultra-luxurious Maybach-badged models. In addition to the sedan, Mercedes offers S-Class coupe and convertible models.

The best Hybrid: Toyota Prius
2019 Toyota Prius
Why should you buy this: The Prius continues to define the hybrid category in most every way.

Who’s it for: Anyone who hates visiting the gas station.

How much will it cost: $23,770+

Why we picked the Toyota Prius:

The name “Prius” is synonymous with “hybrid,” and for good reason. Toyota’s bestselling hybrid continues to prioritize fuel economy above all else, and though efficiency is its main goal, the Prius doesn’t ask buyers to make any major compromises — except maybe in the styling department.

The Prius is the most fuel-efficient hybrid around, getting an Environmental Protection Agency-rated 56 mpg combined in Eco trim. That’s thanks to Toyota’s tried-and-true Hybrid Synergy Drive system, and a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine that achieves a 40 percent thermal efficiency, which is much higher than most engines. The Prius also achieves a very low drag coefficient of 0.24, meaning it has fairly low aerodynamic drag, which helps improve efficiency. Toyota’s designers managed to do that while maintaining a roomy cabin and useful hatchback shape.

The current-generation Prius is also appreciably sportier than previous models, thanks to changes like a lower center of gravity and a more sophisticated double-wishbone independent rear suspension system. Like other Toyota models, the Prius also gets the Toyota Safety Sense suite of driver-assistance features (including adaptive cruise control and a pre-collision system with pedestrian detection) as standard equipment.

The Prius is still a fuel economy champ, but the current version’s emphasis on sporty handling and technology make it a better all-around car than ever before.

The best hatchback: Volkswagen Golf
best hatchbacks vw golf lifestyle
Why should you buy this: The Golf ticks every box in the mainstream hatchback segment.

Who’s it for: Anyone who just needs a car.

How much will it cost: $21,845+

Why we picked the Volkswagen Golf:

The Volkswagen Golf hasn’t been the bestselling car in Germany for decades by accident. Now well into its seventh generation, Volkswagen’s most popular nameplate continues to offer one of the best interiors in its class, a generous amount of trunk space, and agile handling at an attractive price point.

The Golf speaks tech, too. All but the lowest trims come with a state-of-the-art infotainment  تیرآهن 18 system displayed on a color touch screen, and the list of options includes driving aids such as a lane departure warning system, forward collision warning, and adaptive cruise control. You can even get a digital instrument cluster, which is normally found on much more expensive cars.

Volkswagen offers several variants of the Golf. Buyers in select states can pick up an all-electric model called the e-Golf that’s capable of driving for up to 125 miles on a single charge. At the other end of the spectrum, the iconic GTI is one of the very best hot hatches money can buy. Finally, the Golf R tugs at the heartstrings of speed aficionados with a 300-horsepower turbo four and all-wheel drive.

The best sports car: Audi R8 V10 Plus
2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus
Miles Branman/Digital Trends
Why should you buy this: It’s the everyday supercar.

Who’s it for: Those who want high performance without sacrificing comfort.

How much will it cost: $189,900

Why we picked the Audi R8 V10 Plus:

The 2017 Audi R8 is an anomaly. Audi has built a car that’s as refined as a luxury two-door with the power of a hypercar.

The low-slung coupe uses sharp creases, carbon fiber accents, and a mid-engine layout to distinguish itself from lesser sports cars, but it doesn’t command attention in the same way as rivals. Its 5.2-liter V10 delivers 610 horsepower and 413 pound-feet of torque to all four wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. Acceleration is blistering: 0 to 60 mph takes less than 3.0 seconds and top speed is a blazing-fast 205 mph.

Within the cabin, occupants are treated to a magnificent engine wail and class-leading convenience features. Audi’s 12.3-inch Virtual Cockpit display gives drivers access to every vehicle function and reduces clutter. Audi Drive Select adjusts suspension damping to transform ride quality from mellow to aggressive in an instant. It’s not just fast and sharp; it’s high-tech, too.

At the sub-$200,000 price point, the Audi R8 V10 Plus invites challenges from McLaren’s 570S, Porsche’s 911 Turbo S, Acura’s NSX, Aston Martin’s V12 Vantage S, and Mercedes-AMG’s GT R. Each vehicle is astoundingly quick, attractive, and desirable, but the R8 is the only supercar that’s as thrilling on a track as it is in a neighborhood.

just Taken a Dodge Journeyman or some rubbish in part ex. Just driven it 2 miles and the gearbox shat itself. 2 and a half grand down the swanny. Lovely start to the week.

7 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

just Taken a Dodge Journeyman or some rubbish in part ex. Just driven it 2 miles and the gearbox shat itself. 2 and a half grand down the swanny. Lovely start to the week.

Sorry to hear that mate - just what you need on a Monday morning.  Best or worst job in the world.

They're VW engines and boxes no?