Sign in to follow this  
TangoVictor32

Fed up with 20 "best price" "last price" messages this week

6 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

No mate I am in the Midlands.

There's always one or two that you have below 3/4k

Am also thinking long term e.g. petrol / diesel / electric etc

There will be a "point" when no one wants diesels and this point will randomly appear without notice. I have had some folks ring from certain cities that want a petrol variant than a diesel as their city centre has / incoming no diesel in city centre thing.

I think some traders really need to be careful if they only sell diesel or a majority of diesel.

Its just the whole malarkey of a rush of time wasters / stock VERY expensive at auction and bad economic times which will get very worse if we get a no deal Brexit. Prices of goods from eu will jump through the roof leaving less money for people. A lot of stuff is eu imported (from food to car parts!)

Self employment will be difficult and with added crap like zero emissions / diesel etc we will get hit a lot harder than other trades such as gas / plumbing plastering. 

Plus annual increases in auction fees, insurance, junk misgraded at auction, new BCA assurances that are worthless which you waste more time debating with BCA.

I think there will be a massive crash soon. Everyone will increase prices to meet ends and no one will be to afford them unless your Mike Ashley

Boris Brexit Boom-Boom :ph34r:

Well I'm glad I read this first thing in the morning. I'm feeling super optimistic now...

Foxtrot Oscar Victor ( no offence)

I have traded through 3 day a week,quadrupling of oil,Falklands,miners strikes,several financial meltdowns like when mortgages went to 15%,this period is minor compared to some of those but it will ‘separate the wheat from the chaff’ in our job.

You just have to move with the market,for instance in 08 we took a big hit on stock and moved down to bread and butter stuff like mid range estate cars and it worked.Alternativeley in recessions top end stuff will drop considerably but will then become in reach  of cash punters who would normally not buy them.......Rant over ! 

• Like 2

Recession, no recession, Brexit, no Bexit, diesel no diesel - I care not one bit.

80% of my stock is "need" stock and only 20% is "want" stock.

What do I mean?

The 80% of my stock is stuff that people need, regardless of the economy, they either need a car or they don't.  For the other 20%, there is usually someone benefitting from a downturn in the economy, so worth having a couple of "want" or desirable cars.

• Like 2

Arguably a thinning out of the market will help. Low interest rates are helping people enter the market and survive on lower profit margins than before. 

We all remember the "crash"in 2007/08/09,some called it a recession but I think we were talked into that,it was the banks/lenders that screwed up then restricted lending,when we looked back at our sales fig. from 08/09/10(retailing about 500/year (from a stock of about 40/50 cars),we had the best few years we had had for a while,then in 2012/13 we saw a decline to doing about 400/year,most of these extra sales come from people buying used instead of new when things are a bit twitchy,when things are more settled with little financial worries on the the news/media chanels then people go back to buying new,just my thoughts,could be wrong but thats how it worked out for us the last time the shit hit the fan.The finance experts tell us that recesions come in 7/8 year cycles,if we think the 07 crisis was not a true recesion are we due for a mother of all? as cant remeber the one before the 07 mess(too old!!):D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

I have traded through 3 day a week,quadrupling of oil,Falklands,miners strikes,several financial meltdowns like when mortgages went to 15%,this period is minor compared to some of those but it will ‘separate the wheat from the chaff’ in our job.

You just have to move with the market,for instance in 08 we took a big hit on stock and moved down to bread and butter stuff like mid range estate cars and it worked.Alternativeley in recessions top end stuff will drop considerably but will then become in reach  of cash punters who would normally not buy them.......Rant over ! 

Unusually optimistic TV but I think the show goes on you just have to dig down and get on with it as best as you can and try and adapt quickly when you start to spot things going wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

Foxtrot Oscar Victor ( no offence)

Yes but diesel was pampered in 2008 especially earlier!

So if you got 6 diesel cars totalling £40k and they have been stood for weeks and weeks.... You'll be looking to lose a lot of £££

In 2008 it was JUST the financial aspect. In 2019/20 you got a range of issues and this whole push for rapid environmental climate change.

Yes you do change with the market but like I say you dont know when you might get hit as above you could be sitting on half a dozen diesels as 2 weeks earlier the same models sold like hot cakes and now they dont. And as time goes on they wont be wanted...whereas before you could wait it out... As time goes on the emissions compliance date gets closer and more towns and citied adopt the no diesel approach....

39 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

So if you got 6 diesel cars totalling £40k and they have been stood for weeks and weeks.... You'll be looking to lose a lot of £££

In 2008 it was JUST the financial aspect. In 2019/20 you got a range of issues and this whole push for rapid environmental climate change.

Yes you do change with the market but like I say you dont know when you might get hit as above you could be sitting on half a dozen diesels as 2 weeks earlier the same models sold like hot cakes and now they dont. And as time goes on they wont be wanted...whereas before you could wait it out... As time goes on the emissions compliance date gets closer and more towns and citied adopt the no diesel approach....

cant see a problem with diesel anytime soon apart from a slight realign of road tax duty / fuel increase, neither of which will outlay the mpg gains from an oil burner, granted new diesel sales are declining but the used market will have legs for sometime, i don't see joe blogs changing his used £12k audi avant for anything else anytime soon, if anyone has 40k invested across 6 diesel units they cant sell then they are either the wrong ones or have no pedigree or were bought / marketed / priced wrong.

1 hour ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Don’t panic Captain Manwaring...6 Diesels standing £40k,if you are nervous about them,just chop them and you will attract some good swappers that you can retail.The worst you will get back is £30k but you will do better than that.The worst I can recall was the 70’s oil crisis when the price of petrol at the pumps skyrocketed.This resulted in the finance companies refusing to finance anything over 2 litres.Smaller cars shot up in value and big stuff did the opposite.We bought the big stuff and marked it up cheap and did very well.Some people say ‘you have to swim upstream to make money ‘ or be a contrarian investor.....BTW both my pitch and my old one which is a lot bigger are sitting on about 70 diesels !

If i was a london dealer taking them in part exchange you could probably nick them, everything is advertised nationally and just offer a fixed priced delievery at say £100 or fee delivery, take them out the market that don't want them then sell them where they do. (us tight sods up north)  

• Like 1

Sorry i forgot to add:

In addition to the best price last price messages i also seem to get messages asking the following despite it's in the advert:

Owners / mileage/ location etc etc

7 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Sorry i forgot to add:

In addition to the best price last price messages i also seem to get messages asking the following despite it's in the advert:

Owners / mileage/ location etc etc

No one bothers to read adverts do they

Brave people on texts and mails who ask me for last price always get the standard reply. 

"Call me i have good news"

Good news is car is still available if they ask. But at least now you have them on a phone not on a weaker text or mail inquiry

On 5/25/2019 at 8:21 PM, BHM said:

I must have spoken to about 10 traders this week. Every single one has said it’s desperate.

Just ignore the arsehole offers, they never come to anything & just suck the life out of you if you let them.

It’s so dead the auction halls are all half-empty of bidders - I’ve been to five different sites in the last fortnight & they were all the same. After wading through the battered shite there are a few nice cheapish cars if you’ve got money to spend.

The most annoying thing about this ( if true, and I'm not doubting you) is the auctions who don't normally give two fecks about you in the early part of the year  suddenly gettting on the blower asking what they can do to get you back or offering incentives.  Cheeky *****.

12 minutes ago, sparky said:

The most annoying thing about this ( if true, and I'm not doubting you) is the auctions who don't normally give two fecks about you in the early part of the year  suddenly gettting on the blower asking what they can do to get you back or offering incentives.  Cheeky *****.

You’re correct & they have been. The trouble is their incentives can only be something like £50 off indemnity (or similar), cheap deliver or a canteen voucher so isn’t really enough to get me to go to an auction with a pisspoor selection of cars.

10 minutes ago, BHM said:

You’re correct & they have been. The trouble is their incentives can only be something like £50 off indemnity (or similar), cheap deliver or a canteen voucher so isn’t really enough to get me to go to an auction with a pisspoor selection of cars.

ah those were the days the constant phone calls asking if i was coming in now the holiday season has started

i called it puppy love

1 hour ago, BHM said:

It's more the principle with me, as one of their tele sales found out when I told them where their branch manager could stick their free breakfast. Funny, I requested a call back to tell him in person but have not heard a thing.

3 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Oh yes they do. Otherwise why does everyone that ring me ask What are the "couple of minor marks" that you mentioned in your advert text? 

I now put that "couple of minor marks" in every advert. Works superbly against the "Oh, but I thought you said the car was immaculate" brigade. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

No some do.

"Good afternoon i seen yout advert for your Jaguar, i see it has fsh has x y z been changed?"

Gosh i get so happy when i hear people talk like that. I hear voices saying "genuine genuine"

Whereas for the chavs I say "for fucks sake" 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Had this last week.:D

Spooky mentioning quieter auctions. Having been absent for a few months both my friends and myself thought Peterborough has been missing a few very familiar faces and wasn't very full on the floor. 

One odd thing. Very quiet on the proper and, long standing hardcore Peterborough Asian family dealers too for some reason, many of whom I've known for more than a few years and are very cute buyers indeed. I think I shall be making a few calls today to see what the form is there? 

That said (well written) May/June it's always a little thinner among the 'have a go heros' whom, by now, have spunked their redundancy/inheritance/bank loan and found that even stacking shelves can be better on the wallet and kinder to their mental well being...... 'flipping cars' isn't the golden path to an easy long 'ern. 

Still finding late stock is where the value is, the older banger gem stock is simply ridiculous. 

Tudor / Max Motors 2 ?

I think they expanded a little too aggressively last year and have been sitting on a lot of stock for a while