Sign in to follow this  
ExCouncilJobsworth

Received speeding ticket after sale

Sold a vehicle last week to "trader" the dodgy type and received a speeding ticket that was clocked 30 mins after sale.

It was a messy sale...3 of them turned up rather intimidating thuggish type. I wanted them gone soon as and totally forgot to get an address!

I do have a name time of sale date vehicle etc but not an address. 

Obviously i can provide as much into as possible but no address.

But i dont think that will be sufficient. 

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Nb does anyone know if MID give time stamp of what time vehicle added or removed as well as the date?

Edited by ExCouncilJobsworth

Okay, so this thread remind me the first thing to greet a customer is get all their details, and take a photo on their driver licenses.

The solution for now. Maybe you can try to call the customer, said: Mr Billy, I am glad to inform that you are our 10000th customer; we got a reward for you, it's a £50 cash or mobile phone top up voucher. Please send me your photo ID to redeem the reward. :D

Then, you fill his driver license detail to the fine ticket. You have the address now.:D

Note: I am just semiserious above. Do you guys think this solution works or not?

Edited by Lucas

This is why we do logbooks online and get email sent to us has time and date of sale so much easier

• Like 1

So call him/her to ask for the address. 

Edited by Lucas

do confetti sales

enjoy the wedding

remember that not having details of trader might just be the start here

car might be in a road traffic/crime/drugs/anything

you apparently are last registered in trade keeper

keep some clean jim jams ready and await your door bashed in at 5.30 am

just saying........................... paperwork is more important than the sale these days.hopefully you take your medicine and the points and the learning curve

you are brave to admit your offence i give you full credit for that:)

i nearly got killed my an in trade confetti car a few years back being used by a robbery team so i aint a fan of lost trade cars

• Like 1

Surely you needed their address and business details for the paperwork? How did they pay?

As above, I fear this will just be the start. Might be worth getting a solicitor involved immediately to see what your options are.

In theory a quick phone call to ask for their address to complete your paperwork ahead of a forthcoming inspection to avoid drawing attention to the transaction?

Kind of scare!!!

Seriously, I have to double check my paperwork to make sure I have all the documentations and customer info forms on hand.

19 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

But trade to trade you cant do that?

Yeah you are right but still should have got a full name and address copy of licence. This is standard practice in this game, you might be in bother if they using it for no good

8 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

Yeah you are right but still should have got a full name and address copy of licence. This is standard practice in this game, you might be in bother if they using it for no good

I've got cctv that I was elsewhere at the time. Got a receipt without address and bank statement. 

And mid removal. 

Just spoke to someone they said onus on police to prove you was driving. I got proof i was elsewhere

Why don't you just call the buyer(trader) to get the address or driver license photo tomorrow? Just try to ask for it. I feel that is normal. I've been ask for my address million times, no matter they said just keep for the customer record or just the normal process, or whatever. As a costumer, I never reject one.

Other example, two men came to move my cars to the pitch last week. I forgot to ask for their driver license. Then the next day I told them I need them take a photo of their driver license for me to keep in the record. They just sent me over the phone right away without question.

Edited by Lucas

ECJ on this occasion you need to use the  MTFU method in calculating the customers address. 

And dont do do it again. 

We we have one ongoing at the moment where a trader we sold the car to is denying ever having owned the car and it’s racking up parking tickets all over Newcastle! 

Kind of reminds me of the time I took a A4 in to swap circa 2005 ish. 

The thing had about a 3rd of a tank of fuel in it.  Naturally I used the car, day or so later I got pulled in to a Revenue roadside fuel check.  Boom... Its running on red diesel!  Fuck..

I had to provide invoices etc to prove I had only just got it and give last owner details. I heard no more of it

9 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

I've got cctv that I was elsewhere at the time. Got a receipt without address and bank statement. 

And mid removal. 

Just spoke to someone they said onus on police to prove you was driving. I got proof i was elsewhere

I would ignore that advice.I think you may have to MTFU.Next time,get ID and record the sale properly,it just takes one.If you are not LTD,seriously think about it.

We changed our terms and conditions almost a decade ago and added time collected, the reason ?t we sold a car to a customer who drove off everyone happy until on the way home the plonkers decided to try and run a red light and barrier on a railway crossing (we have lots of the old fashioned ones down our way) almost derailed a train, which had to slam on emergency stop kind few people got minor injuries, however the car was still registered to us this is before the days of electronic registration, next thing we know as we where closing the traffic police and normal police came crashing in demanding to know who was driving the car even read us our rights was a tad uncomfortable. 

They calmed down when we showed them the paperwork and the cctv recording of the guy driving off into the sunset. 

Now date and time collected is a must however awkward they are to deal with.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Sold a vehicle last week to "trader" the dodgy type and received a speeding ticket that was clocked 30 mins after sale.

It was a messy sale...3 of them turned up rather intimidating thuggish type. I wanted them gone soon as and totally forgot to get an address!

I do have a name time of sale date vehicle etc but not an address. 

Obviously i can provide as much into as possible but no address.

But i dont think that will be sufficient. 

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Nb does anyone know if MID give time stamp of what time vehicle added or removed as well as the date?

They didn't fill in the logbook?

Try googling their phone number, searching their name on facebook etc etc, it works wonders sometimes.

• Like 1

Trader or not I’ve never let a car go without an address. Even if the yellow slip was missing I would rather not sell to someone who wouldn’t give address.I have had it a few times when they didn’t want to give details and I’ve shown them the door. 

Just really isn’t worth the bother. Learn by your mistakes. 

• Like 1

/\ /\ /\ LIKE

That's exactly what I'd try first, before he gets a sniff of anything ;)

12 hours ago, Stalker said:

ECJ on this occasion you need to use the  MTFU method in calculating the customers address. 

And dont do do it again. 

We we have one ongoing at the moment where a trader we sold the car to is denying ever having owned the car and it’s racking up parking tickets all over Newcastle! 

Whats MTFU method?

4 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Ring him and tell him a load of receipts and spare keys have arrived, whats the address to send to ??

I fucked up.

I rang him and told him about ticket...in the morning.

Edited by ExCouncilJobsworth

45 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Whats MTFU method?

I fucked up.

I rang him and told him about ticket...in the morning.

Hey mate, you supposed to tell him that £50 reward instead of the ticket! 

Now, if you know his name. Try to search his name or his phone number online, maybe you can find his address. For example, search his name on company house website, if he has a Ltd or something, you should  find it.

Or, find a friend to pretend a customer to ring him, and go to his place to see the car, then you will have his address.

Good luck.

Edited by Lucas