Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

An absolute s**t service from BCA Assured

I almost never rely on the BCA Assured reports, in fact if given the opportunity I'd much rather save the £33 per vehicle that they cost. 

This time the car was a very nice very low mileage Jag with tyre threads reported across each front tyre as 4mm, 4mm and 4mm. In the auction hall I would put my hand in the outer threads of the tyres and they did seem even better than 4mm. However the car failed it's MOT on "cords exposed" on inner part of the tyre where the thread was way below 1mm. 

This is what BCA assured wanted: 

1) Photo evidence of the failed MOT (picture of the certificate as if they couldn't see it online)

2) 1 day later: Photo evidence of the low tyre threads

3) 2 days later: VIDEO evidence of me measuring the tyre thread depth (try making that video without a third hand)

4) A week later (I've chased them on the phone every step of the way): They said that because their report is wrong by approx 2mm they will contribute to the cost of each tyre by 25% (a new tyre has 8mm so they will pay the value of the 2mm depth error which on a £132 tyre works out at £33. 

5) 10 days later I've heard nothing and had to chase them again, three calls today until they finally confirmed that they will make the payment and a cheque will be on the way. 

Their error costs me £264 (not including fitting or wheel alignment) and they will contribute a total of £66. At least my customer will now get brand new tyres and alignment. The hard earned £66 will just cover the cost of the "Assured" report and the next one...

Never had a problem with them, but I wouldn't hold them to tyres.  Not a dig, just not worth the run around and hassle.

I am dealing with them now on a gearbox issue, I am having to chase them up quite a bit.

9 minutes ago, Earunder said:

Never had a problem with them, but I wouldn't hold them to tyres.  Not a dig, just not worth the run around and hassle.

I agree with you here, £66 for hours of my time which would usually earn me a lot more... BUT they charge money for this insurance product and it's just not right to "let it go" when I know that the customers I sell to don't "let go". 

P.S. My BCA Assured charges every month are around half of my AT bill, this is not pocket change.

• Like 1

Try 9 weeks on an £8k JCW that we found had, had a replacement engine, blew its head gasket on the way home. claimed on BCA, waited 4 weeks for an engineer to come and confirm it was a heap then it sat gathering dust as I waited and waited and waited for that promised call back every single day from the branch I purchased it from so they could have it back. In the end i took the car back to my local branch as I was sick of waiting for the call from the original branch, I watched it go through the block last week and make similar money to what i'd paid ( poor sod, it was f*cked ) Only today ( 11 weeks after Purchase ) have I had my account credited.

They absolutely refused to take back a £8k car with a failed turbo and EML despite a clear report.

Took 6 months to get £200 against a £800 repair

Luckily I’ve only had to deal with them once which they were pretty good with even though they could of got themselves out of it.

Oil pressure light came on the way home and the top end started rattling. Rang them straight away and at first they said they would send out the AA to inspect it then couple of days later decided they would just refund me. Took a few weeks for the money to get refunded though. 

They amended the report and included the oil pressure light illuminated yet it still made the same money I won it for surprisingly.

I still don’t rely on the reports though, I’ve had a few throw up minor faults that I could of send it back over or got a partial refund but wasn’t worth the hassle. Tyres was one of them. 

Ive never understood quite why BCA treat customers like dog excrement. Any other company on any other sector would last 10 minutes.

Edited by MrC
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I almost never rely on the BCA Assured reports, in fact if given the opportunity I'd much rather save the £33 per vehicle that they cost. 

This time the car was a very nice very low mileage Jag with tyre threads reported across each front tyre as 4mm, 4mm and 4mm. In the auction hall I would put my hand in the outer threads of the tyres and they did seem even better than 4mm. However the car failed it's MOT on "cords exposed" on inner part of the tyre where the thread was way below 1mm. 

This is what BCA assured wanted: 

1) Photo evidence of the failed MOT (picture of the certificate as if they couldn't see it online)

2) 1 day later: Photo evidence of the low tyre threads

3) 2 days later: VIDEO evidence of me measuring the tyre thread depth (try making that video without a third hand)

4) A week later (I've chased them on the phone every step of the way): They said that because their report is wrong by approx 2mm they will contribute to the cost of each tyre by 25% (a new tyre has 8mm so they will pay the value of the 2mm depth error which on a £132 tyre works out at £33. 

5) 10 days later I've heard nothing and had to chase them again, three calls today until they finally confirmed that they will make the payment and a cheque will be on the way. 

Their error costs me £264 (not including fitting or wheel alignment) and they will contribute a total of £66. At least my customer will now get brand new tyres and alignment. The hard earned £66 will just cover the cost of the "Assured" report and the next one...

£66,it’s not worth the bother.Good result for them.We would never have accepted that.You have to threaten them with court action,we often do it.Our guys just got £1000 back on a 15 Mini with knackered clutch.It takes a few weeks.

I got paid out on tyres for full invoice without a fight recently pretty much identical scenario to be fair Nick. I found it better than surecheck.

1 hour ago, MrC said:

Ive never understood quite why BCA treat customers like dog excrement. Any other company on any other sector would last 10 minutes.

Because they can and they've got you by the bollocks. 

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Because they can and they've got you by the bollocks. 

Absolutely, they remind me of Ryanair. At least at Ryanair my £33 goes much further... 

Sounds like any insurance product these days, you have to have it (or pay for it), but it seems you're not supposed to use it?

• Like 1

Look at it from a BCA point of view.They must get hundreds of complaints from the trade every day and from what I understand most of those which  are settled are without bothering their vendor.It is far cheaper for them to give dealers the runaround as most just give up or settle for a lot less.I was told this by one of their top guys when we had them in court,it cost them a few grand but they were not going to debit their leasing company vendors account.....We do of course remind them of this every time we make a claim,but you still have to fight them.

Personally, two Assured claims, two payouts - no complaints but I do have a decent relationship with Wolverhampton BCA

16 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I do have a decent relationship with Wolverhampton BCA

Do you actually go through the branch to make a claim? They have a new system which goes through a customer service desk in Manchester and these are the people I've been speaking with.

I always (in every aspect of business) deal directly with people.

I also sent a letter thanking them for sorting things out.

Life is give and take, we all complain about shit but rarely commend when things work out.  I try and treat good and bad with the same approach.

I don’t have an a/c with BCA but the way I see it is it’s a case of Them & Us. I have never received any genuine help above standard service from an auction company, we are simply to be milked dry & looked upon with utter disdain.

These insurance policies that are forced upon us are administered appallingly, at every auction there’s another trader complaining about pisspoor service & having an uphill battle. I’m told Manheim’s Surecheck personnel don’t even answer calls nowadays. Apparently you have to download an app, complete the claim form & you’ll be contacted at their leisure - no doubt once they’ve done their homework & worked out the reason for rejecting your claim. 

To be fair I bought a 63 plate c220 out of Blackbushe,  I swear I didn't move it an inch in the car park and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree , traction,ABS, the works . Popped the key back to the ladies in the office , quick chat on the phone to the manager , full refund 3 days later . Best bit is I'd accidently missed that the Merc was a manual...talk about  'get out of jail free card!:)

I was an "assured" tester for 5 years right from when it all started, the reports are worthless as it's all down to the actual tester who tests the car, out of a team of 4 testers only one was a qualified or even trained mechanic, it's all target based, I had to test 50 cars a day outside next to the jet washing station, in ALL weather with NO cover and was expected to pickup engine noises, exhausts blowing etc etc!!...if I really wanted to I'm sure I could convince you guys not to bother with the reports however in some cases I imagine they are a useful backup

• Like 1

11 hours ago, benjiv50 said:

if I really wanted to I'm sure I could convince you guys not to bother with the reports

I wish they were an option but they are not and it amazes me how some dealers simply WILL NOT consider buying a car that doesn't come with the report...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, benjiv50 said:

I was an "assured" tester for 5 years right from when it all started, the reports are worthless as it's all down to the actual tester who tests the car, out of a team of 4 testers only one was a qualified or even trained mechanic, it's all target based.

It actually started a long time before 5 years ago mate, I was the area manager for the RAC, for a pilot scheme with BCA on grading end of lease stuff, mainly Motability stuff back around 2001/2002 if I recall, back then it was all RAC inspectors not mechanics but bodyshop experienced guys who could spot shit paint, bodged repairs lumps bumps dents and scratches... We introduced the hand held devices came up with and developed the software, trained guys well and they were mobile doing 7-11 inspections a day prior to going to the block...this obviously developed over the years and has been slimmed down to what you've got today.

Edited by Paddy

20 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I have to say, your negotiation skills need sharpening.

BCA are basically asking you to fit some part worn tyres to a vehicle....?

Our insurance company stipulates that we do not get involved in part worn tyres.

I would have pursued them for the full cost of fitting both tyres.

9 minutes ago, Stalker said:

I have to say, your negotiation skills need sharpening.

BCA are basically asking you to fit some part worn tyres to a vehicle....?

Interesting points in this forum thread. Some say it's not worth the hassle at all to chase BCA for tyres, others say you have to go through all the hoops of getting the full invoice value paid out including threatening court action, which in case you didn't know entitles BCA to close your buyer account... 

BCA said that they will contribute to the cost of two brand new tyres. Since the old tyres were already half worn (and more) I am happy with a contribution. I don't expect an auction company to pay my full tyre bill. What I wasn't happy with was the time it took and the amount of evidence they required after the MOT fail. Not to mention the size of their "contribution"...

1 minute ago, Nick M.K. said:

Interesting points in this forum thread. Some say it's not worth the hassle at all to chase BCA for tyres, others say you have to go through all the hoops of getting the full invoice value paid out including threatening court action, which in case you didn't know entitles BCA to close your buyer account... 

Yes your right, i usually take their report with a pinch of salt (sugar actually to make it taste sweeter).

However, if the report says the tyres are good.... they should be good.

I have never ever heard of anyone getting their account closed. However its a bit of a fobbing off excercise for them, they fish out the weak claims by attempting to fob you off for a while, however when you push them for their "final response" before court action they ALWAYS back down and help out.