Sign in to follow this  
MattR

Is it the weather?

On 28/04/2018 at 4:57 PM, Stephen said:

Wish housing market was on fire here sitting with 1 for sale and another to go on market. Would have expected first one to sell in weeks, agent even said we wont worry about a board yet lol

Well round my way everything sells but it's all buy to let stuff. Even the new builds and 'toytown' estates. God knows how first timers can afford to buy anything unless you've got parents that can give you their pension fund:D

3 hours ago, trade vet said:

I am not sure it is the weather.When you see what is happening elsewhere at Homebase,Mothercare,Carpetright,even M and S and Poundstretcher are closing stores.Then you have recent success stories like Jamie’s Italian in trouble and this week the talk will be about a Sainsbury Asda merger......There must be a lot of people maxed out again.I hope I am wrong but don’t expect May being any better,2 bank holidays and a Royal Wedding could distract the punters.

Was talking about this last night with a couple of friends, one up (or is it down?) from London. London’s in its own wealthy bubble but the rest of us are just about fucked. Last night we decided to assist the licensed victuallers in Costa del Darlington & the London visitor couldn’t believe how quiet the pubs are - a Saturday night & the pubs barely a quarter full. Never mind next month, these hard times are here for the next few years.

Any supposed growth in the economy is mainly financed by personal credit - cars chuckied-up, cards maxed-out, loans up to the hilt. Credit is at an all time and surely must be at a stage were it can’t increase? Talk is of the UK dipping back into recession in the future, I suspect the reality is we’re almost there.

The town centres are full on a weekend but many are window shopping & those with bags that are full are full of cheap shite. The only thing I can’t understand is why the coffee shops are full - who the f*** pays £3 for a cuppa?? :lol::lol::lol:

I’m very fortunate to be trading in a part  of Essex (Billericay) that has easy access to London, and so our surrounding population has access to money and available credit but a lot of our customers travel quite far as well. I should imagaine the people near by in the huge houses are still living close to their limits. I don’t think many people are cash rich any more.

ive just had a customer fly from Germany to pick up a 2006 320 si with 116k miles on it for £2700? And drive it back. How weird is that?

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Was talking about this last night with a couple of friends, one up (or is it down?) from London. London’s in its own wealthy bubble but the rest of us are just about fucked. Last night we decided to assist the licensed victuallers in Costa del Darlington & the London visitor couldn’t believe how quiet the pubs are - a Saturday night & the pubs barely a quarter full. Never mind next month, these hard times are here for the next few years.

Any supposed growth in the economy is mainly financed by personal credit - cars chuckied-up, cards maxed-out, loans up to the hilt. Credit is at an all time and surely must be at a stage were it can’t increase? Talk is of the UK dipping back into recession in the future, I suspect the reality is we’re almost there.

The town centres are full on a weekend but many are window shopping & those with bags that are full are full of cheap shite. The only thing I can’t understand is why the coffee shops are full - who the f*** pays £3 for a cuppa?? :lol::lol::lol:

last time i went for a drink there and looking at google maps it looks the same now the 'pennyweight' they were fighting as a usual pastime on a saturday night between soldiers and civilians,its the only time in my life ive seen someones throat slit in full technicolour

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I’m not ashamed to say I love a bargain, and we as a family love car boot sales, flea markets etc.... 

We don’t owe a penny to anyone... we’ve saved lots of thousands on clothes for the boys 3&4, and furniture (our 3 piece sofa was £20). Bikes from the recycling centre etc... And, when they’ve grown out of the clothes / shoes the wife sells them on FB.  We like to recycle.... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

The thing is everyone wants designer this, designer that and nobody understands the value of money. I'm teaching my boys to save first and then pay, they will then appreciate and understand the worth of money. Its very easy to spend someone else's money.

That’s great,my wife is a premier league M and S yellow label shopper in the food dept.A few years ago M and S had a promotion,spend £80 on clothes and they gave you a £15 voucher for food.We had free food for weeks,she just returned the clothing and reused the £80 credit for more clothing etc  and more free food.T K Max final reductions is another story.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

We never really recovered from the last recession.

"London wealthy bubble", that's funny:D There's no wealthy bubble where I am mate, quite the opposite. Food banks are the growth industry

I’ve heard anywhere outside the posh parts are desperate but my mate’s in Kensington - there’s no need for food banks around the corner from his company paid apartment at nearly £5000 a month! It’s all another world to little old me, the streets really do appear to be paved with gold to an ignorant northerner who normally eats cold turnip stew out of a wooden bowl.

Personally I’d try & fiddle the rent money & live in the back of a van but that’s why I’m where I’m at & he’s well up the corporate ladder. Overpriced Chinese dinner at the Shard, Belgravia pubs charging £6 a pint and I saw the most expensive loaf of bread I’ve ever seen in a shop window in Primrose Hill - £8!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BHM said:

We go to Cafe Nero on a Sunday,it is expensive but my wife has a Amex card or something so we get a big discount.I always laugh when Londoners ( commuters )come up north and try and tell you how well,off they are.

3 minutes ago, BHM said:

I’ve heard anywhere outside the posh parts are desperate but my mate’s in Kensington - there’s no need for food banks around the corner from his company paid apartment at nearly £5000 a month! It’s all another world to little old me, the streets really do appear to be paved with gold to an ignorant northerner who normally eats cold turnip stew out of a wooden bowl.

Personally I’d try & fiddle the rent money & live in the back of a van but that’s why I’m where I’m at & he’s well up the corporate ladder. Overpriced Chinese dinner at the Shard, Belgravia pubs charging £6 a pint and I saw the most expensive loaf of bread I’ve ever seen in a shop window in Primrose Hill - £8!!! 

£5000 rent paid for by the company.That is a benefit,I hope he pays tax on it !

9 hours ago, BHM said:

BHM, the truth of the matter is that most people who have climbed the corporate ladder and earning a very nice salary would give their eye teeth to be in your position. You are master of your own destiny. I know there are a massive amount of variables that dictate our incomes but ultimately you will always be able to generate an income. If a major company changes their Uk strategy and totally removes a department from the business these guys would be fooked. 

7 minutes ago, Dlloyds said:

BHM, the truth of the matter is that most people who have climbed the corporate ladder and earning a very nice salary would give their eye teeth to be in your position. You are master of your own destiny. I know there are a massive amount of variables that dictate our incomes but ultimately you will always be able to generate an income. If a major company changes their Uk strategy and totally removes a department from the business these guys would be fooked. 

If they are way up the corporate ladder as a few of my friends are, I very much doubt they swap anything to be in my position. A friend of mine has a take home of 10,000 a month, can 'work' from home as much as he likes, gets flown around the world constantly and looks at me with a huge amount of pity. He is the pick of the bunch, but if I had my time again...... I'd have tried harder at school!

Edited by MSP Motors
Grammar
  • Like 1

Argh  School fond memories the odd day i was there, I also have a friend that works high up in good old corporate ladder she gets flown all over the world for 12months stay at a time to do feasibility studies for food supermarkets where to open there next supermarket she earns well over 100k a year and has no expenses as she is put up in a posh rental house / apartment and all expenses paid. 

Now thats a job i would like.

5 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Argh  School fond memories the odd day i was there, I also have a friend that works high up in good old corporate ladder she gets flown all over the world for 12months stay at a time to do feasibility studies for food supermarkets where to open there next supermarket she earns well over 100k a year and has no expenses as she is put up in a posh rental house / apartment and all expenses paid. 

Now thats a job i would like.

I know one or two ‘ corporates’ who constantly travel all over the place at the drop of a hat etc.They are well paid,but their lifestyle is poor and they always look knackered.At the end of the day,they are only employees and as Dean says,a change of policy or new guy coming in and they are gone....Good Luck to them.

From experience:

I left a six figure job (my choice) last July.

International travel, expensed car, Hilton or IHG (I do miss the reward points) and a 3 course meal and beer every night and of course the regular salary.

I don't regret a thing in leaving.

All my mates were jealous of my lifestyle (work) but in truth - staying away from home, eating and drinking (alot) alone and having to be at certain places at a set time (anywhere in the world) - is not all it seems.  Once the novelty has worn off, you realise that it is lonely, stressful and boring existence.

Do I expect to replace/match my salary, it would be nice but I very much doubt it (may have the odd exceptional month).

Then look at the profile of the UK's weathiest - do they all work for someone or do they employ people and/or run their own businesses?  there's the answer - we all have the "tools" to do it, no one is better than the next and luck doesn't exist, (cliche alert) - you make your own luck.

The point is, be proud that you are making some sort of living, you are not scrounging off benefits.  Is it easy, no but you can control your own destiny and that is worth far more (to me anyway) than any corporate employed benefits.

At least herebeing self employed we get out what we put in. I work long hours and work hard but don't know anyone who has a few quid that doesn't.

That being said I wish I had studied harder. A lot of days I feel like an underpaid lawyer might aswell have the earnings and days off they seem to enjoy :lol:

4 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

At least herebeing self employed we get out what we put in. I work long hours and work hard but don't know anyone who has a few quid that doesn't.

That being said I wish I had studied harder. A lot of days I feel like an underpaid lawyer might aswell have the earnings and days off they seem to enjoy :lol:

My lawyer has just set up on his own due to empoyed salary levels.  Fully qualified family lawyer earning less than £40k a year, not everything is as it seems.

12 hours ago, BHM said:

There's probably a fancy vegan restaurant in Notting Hill that will sell you turnip stew in wooden bowl for £35!:D Plus £4.99 for the fancy Artisan bread to dip in it!

Edited by met

25 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Sold a car to a newly qualified lawyer on £21000

I am sure that is right.Someone was telling me they know 5 qualified but non practising lawyers.Appparently there are now too many law firms and thousands of kids at college still doing law....But when you hear parents say ‘our Thomas is doing very well doing Law at Brixton or Bradford Uni and ask what is he going to do after that...they have no idea what you mean.

Like it or not the finance sector generates huge amounts of revenue for UK. And it's the thing that makes us a world leader. Can't think of anything else other than F1 components and high end HiFi equipment. Maybe someone will start making Austin Allegro's again:D

3 minutes ago, met said:

Like it or not the finance sector generates huge amounts of revenue for UK. And it's the thing that makes us a world leader. Can't think of anything else other than F1 components and high end HiFi equipment. Maybe someone will start making Austin Allegro's again:D

UK manufacturing's at it's highest point for 10 years. Not at the 70s boom year levels where it contributed 25% of GDP but that's a different world. Brexit will only help us build more I think.

8 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

UK manufacturing's at it's highest point for 10 years. Not at the 70s boom year levels where it contributed 25% of GDP but that's a different world. Brexit will only help us build more I think.

Let's hope so for everyones sake

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BHM said:

Was talking about this last night with a couple of friends, ny supposed growth in the economy is mainly financed by personal credit - cars chuckied-up, cards maxed-out, loans up to the hilt. Credit is at an all time and surely must be at a stage were it can’t increase? Talk is of the UK dipping back into recession in the future, I suspect the reality is we’re almost there.

She’ll wander round the shops looking, but....my Mrs buys pretty much everything online, as do her friends. Almost every day something arrives at the house we don’t need....

58 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

She’ll wander round the shops looking, but....my Mrs buys pretty much everything online, as do her friends. Almost every day something arrives at the house we don’t need....

I'm the same to be honest, maybe it's a generational thing but I much prefer shopping online. Can do it when I want and the items are a click away rather than trawling through shops. We went to town on the weekend for the first time this year and aside from the £15 parking no where had anything we needed, either out of stock or a range that isn't stocked in a particular branch. All in all it was a hateful and overly expensive experience. It was interesting to notice how dead everywhere was compared to a couple of years ago. I'm not surprised to see so many brands closing outlets lately and don't see it slowing down anytime soon.

The big thing we were discussing is what are all those (relatively) unskilled shelf stackers and cashiers going to do when it ends? From what I see there seems to be a massive disparity between those with skills that can earn a good living and those without much of an option to do much other than menial low paid tasks.

Its not often headlined, however I do notice from time to time (the media) mention UK employment is predominately made up of a work force where 70% of employment is found in the "service sector"..

I'm sure we all know examples of good salaries in this sector or know folks in it; but the service sector may go from Solictors to shop workers.. Its worrying to read above that "professionals" are no longer earning the wages one may associate with that career (solicitors/investment needed to get there)... and with the high street failing across the UK.. just where is all the money going to come from if so many work in a lower wage service sector..?

Reading this thread it cements my own thoughts about shopping online and failing town centres! I wont go on about car park charges in town centres with no shops or stock!!

Worrying indeed and I do hate how they (the media / government) have hijacked the word "apprentice" and tagged into any role, usually at a pathetic rate of pay! it used to be associated with good training usually on a career for life!

Change times..

You’re right and the council need to take a fair share of the blame. Parking is outrageous and don’t get me started on the business rates.  That and the VAT kills the game. 

I guess a load of the workers have moved or will move to the distribution centres or become a van driver?

Edited by NOACROSS