chrishowie

Is WBAC (UKCARGROUP) stock still .....

Hi All,

Years ago when car craft was at its height and they set up WBAC, I started buying from them. All total junk.

All BCA seems to be filled with is WBAC cars.

My question is, is it any better or is it still other peoples problems? I'm on the hunt for stock and most seem to be UKCARG

• Like 1

When it was initially set up the wbac buyers were all / only based at carcraft sites, where the public had to go to sell to wbac,  and these lads were very switched on and knew how to nick a car off the public, wbac were then strangely happy enough to under sell these on to the trade cheap from the carcraft sites in a weekly leave a bid sale,  2006-07 were great for earning fortunes out of wbac, it all changed when a lot of trade lads started taking the piss by hiding keys / history packs / etc so it was decided to send everything to bca and the fun ended.

It didn't matter if the cars were fooked because they were so cheap, the problem started when wbac expanded to local delivery points and employed staff with lesser experience, regards appraisal, this is when it became easier for the public to shaft wbac with a knacker, the outcome was dearer fooked cars, and then when wbac sold out to bca the trade lost the appetite for buying the wbac entry's because of bca's deluded idea on the values.

buying off them these days?  the secret is to work out how long the last owner had it, have a decent relationship with the admin girls so you can spy the v5 pre sale, a decent name and postcode generally = decent cars, they arn't for me these days but good luck if they are your hunting ground;)

Hit and miss, there’s still some gems in there but amongst a lot of scrap.

In essence worth a bid but bid accordingly.  I’d never pay anywhere near Cap clean for UKCGR stock.

Edited by Lakeside

We have done this topic fairly recently.The bottom line is that there is cracking stuff to be bought in all sections of UKCG if you know what you are doing.Lets face it,BCA are selling 300,000 of these per year.To think of 3 that I have bought in the last year out of quite a lot,61 Jag not warranted mileage 9k ( it looked right to me and was ) ,a late ish ad blue Merc diesel needing a bit of paint at over 2 grand below Cap and a 15k 08 Ka for £700.

Bedford and Walsall UKCGRP Premium sales are the highlight of the week

I don't mind the BCA cars, no issue buying them. For some stuff they offer strong bids, especially with sporty stuff.

I’ve had a few, all been good apart from one which I bid online for. Had I of seen it in the flesh, I wouldn’t have bought it.

I like the quick provisional answers. No waiting for 24 hours - usually win everything that I am highest provisional bidder on.

I never used buy any UKGC car as too risky. But say in the last 6 months I have bought a few, had to do a clutch on the one but generally been lucky/ok. I buy things like small automatics or low owner cars. The car must have a good story to tell for itself i.e. low miles, fsh,  1 or 2 owner, 2 keys etc. I think some of the cars I've bought is have either been from someone's family who have passed away or some oap who has stopped driving. Nut they don't come much cheaper than the main dealer part exs.

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

I like the quick provisional answers. No waiting for 24 hours - usually win everything that I am highest provisional bidder on.

Also a lot of quick knocks way below Cap Clean

Thank you for all your replies! Mixed bag, as ever, do your checks before bidding.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback!

Never seen BCA's car numbers so low and good stock going so much over Cap etc.

2 hours ago, chrishowie said:

Never seen BCA's car numbers so low and good stock going so much over Cap etc.

Say that again , some of the prices yesterday were eye watering . 

Did you also know BCA / WBAC  actively go through the adverts looking for private cars to buy , they have dedicated staff to do the job and trawl the country . 

5 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Say that again , some of the prices yesterday were eye watering . 

Did you also know BCA / WBAC  actively go through the adverts looking for private cars to buy , they have dedicated staff to do the job and trawl the country . 

Monday is always like that I find everyones got money to burn.   Let them spend up then snipe the cars you want on a Thursday and Friday

9 hours ago, trader555 said:

Same with any vendor some cars are good and some are bad, I've had a fair few decent cars from ukcgr

If  WBAC/UKCGR, weren't around there would just be more stock at Allen/Gates/Perry's/Sytner etc etc? What's the difference, does the dealer sticker on the windscreen really make a difference?

2 hours ago, metcars said:

If  WBAC/UKCGR, weren't around there would just be more stock at Allen/Gates/Perry's/Sytner etc etc? What's the difference, does the dealer sticker on the windscreen really make a difference?

Yeah there would be more main dealer stock and more private’s selling themselves on AT/gum/Ebay 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metcars said:

I think the problem with WBAC is where as a few years ago if someone had a major mechanical problem with a car they would scrap it, now they try there chance of getting a bit of extra cash and palm it off to WBAC instead. I know a few people that have done it themselves, I know of a guy who had quite a high spec Audi A6 and the gearbox needed a £3k rebuild. He sold it to WBAC for more than he would of got trying to sell it himself as spares or repair on eBay. Obviously it ended up at BCA, I feel sorry for the winning bidder on that one as it would of looked and sounded fine driving at walking speed into the hall.

Edited by Lakeside

10 hours ago, Lakeside said:

I think the problem with WBAC is where as a few years ago if someone had a major mechanical problem with a car they would scrap it, now they try there chance of getting a bit of extra cash and palm it off to WBAC instead. I know a few people that have done it themselves, I know of a guy who had quite a high spec Audi A6 and the gearbox needed a £3k rebuild. He sold it to WBAC for more than he would of got trying to sell it himself as spares or repair on eBay. Obviously it ended up at BCA, I feel sorry for the winning bidder on that one as it would of looked and sounded fine driving at walking speed into the hall.

That's true for a small percentage, and problem cars are always floating around the system (don't mention DA). but the majority of wbac stock would just be bolstering up main dealer p/x's like the old days? What I'm trying to say is that UKCGR/WBAC stock hasn't arrived from a different planet?

1 hour ago, metcars said:

That's true for a small percentage, and problem cars are always floating around the system (don't mention DA). but the majority of wbac stock would just be bolstering up main dealer p/x's like the old days? What I'm trying to say is that UKCGR/WBAC stock hasn't arrived from a different planet?

Oh I agree, I just still think you have more chance of a lemon from UKCGR than a main dealer p/x so I bid accordingly.

21 hours ago, Lakeside said:

Oh I agree, I just still think you have more chance of a lemon from UKCGR than a main dealer p/x so I bid accordingly.

Yes that's true. But also the chance of digging out a nugget of gold at a good price is higher. I suppose we have to assume that a px will get a more thorough evaluation when taken to a main dealer. The wbac/ukcgr guy could be more likely to focus on beating the punters down price wise, and miss diagnose the car? I don't think you should disregard everything because it 'might' be trouble?

If you are interested in a UKCGR entry and you are not sure,this is what you need to do.If the bidding opens up quickly then the chances are it is a good one.The reason for this is that the likelihood is that the WEBAC guys who buy them will probably have guys that they will tip off which ones to buy.Years ago I used to buy non runners using this method from BCA Edinburgh and you would find there was nothing wrong with them,they had just been doctored prior to entry not to start........I hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, trade vet said:

If you are interested in a UKCGR entry and you are not sure,this is what you need to do.If the bidding opens up quickly then the chances are it is a good one.The reason for this is that the likelihood is that the WEBAC guys who buy them will probably have guys that they will tip off which ones to buy.Years ago I used to buy non runners using this method from BCA Edinburgh and you would find there was nothing wrong with them,they had just been doctored prior to entry not to start........I hope that makes sense.

Good point but I don't have faith in those chaps from old.

I always feel length the previous over has had it is the best barometer I've seen personally!