TangoVictor32

False bidding by auctioneers

Yes I know it happens 

But today at BCA Nottingham the S class Merc started at £6k and the auctioneer went up to £6700 all by himself. There was about 10 people in the hall and no one was bidding. 

Since it was 10 people it was very easy to keep a track on all. 

The hammer didnt go down and the car was driven out.

I have had enough of paying over the odds because they force us to. I know some of you will say that is part of the game.

But that is illegal and they can seriously get screwed over. 

I believe they can be investigated and authorties can obtain footage from auction halls where this takes place.

br brr br brr

hello investigation team for auction trotting how may i help

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

But that is illegal and they can seriously get screwed over. 

Technically it isn't but I'm on your side.

6 minutes ago, twerp said:

Technically it isn't but I'm on your side.

It is.

If there is a reserve price they can't push you up to achieve this. However they can sell lower than the reserve price. 

• Like 1

You dont get to drive them, very little come back, large fees, and a lot of auction houses false bid.

My advice is dont use auctions.

For all you know Victor it could have been trotted through the reserve and intentionally sent out only to be sold cheaply afterwards.Be nice to the provisional office and you may get a clue.....That sort of thing was rife years ago but it still could happen and I think that could be illegal. 

1 hour ago, Tony911 said:

Bca is just wank enough said

Are Mannheim or Aston Barclay any better? I’ve only ever done BCA myself 

Its not illegal to trot to reserve price , Auctioneers are aware of that , BCA have a routine of putting a car through 3 times and if it doesn't make its money it usually sells or goes elsewhere if the bids are to low . 

But we all know it happens , usually its a piece of junk they cant get bids on though as anything decent will sell anyway .

Seen it happen many times , when we have put cars in the block they bounce bids off me , of course then i agree with it .

Horses for courses isn't  it 

Remember once we two bloody Yaris PX things back when a Yaris might sell , Both had serious issues and i only gave £50 for one  and £75 for the other .

Took them both to bits and made one good one sold it for £1,200 

Put the scrapper back together and blocked it :o even let the oil out the gear box it was leaking that much :ph34r: took it on a trailer to BCA and booked it in . Nothing worked on that car and i mean nothing , Two privates start looking so I hugged it as I was there at the sale day . Auctioneer looks at me when it went in and starts bouncing bids off my head , I was next to the privates so starts wagging the catalogue ,  what should have been scrap money or £200 best went for £975 Bloody quid to mrs private :o , Think I finished up with £700 + for the biggest bag of shite you've ever seen ,Bet shes never been to an auction again :lol: Motto don't fall for shiny shite at auction :lol:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Go tell a policeman...............

they can LEGALLY run anything up to its reserve

13 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

they can LEGALLY run anything up to its reserve

The joke is he is an ex policeman!

Edited by David Ayers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthernTrader said:

Are Mannheim or Aston Barclay any better? I’ve only ever done BCA myself 

Manheim are fair ashton Barclays been once and that was enough. Bca just want to see how quick they can get through all the lots rather then seeing how many they can sell to actual buyers and that's the difference with manheim

Whilst it is annoying and we all want a bargain, I don't see how it can be illiegal.  No one is forcing you to bid or buy, just set your maximum - some you win, some you don't but nobody has actually robbed you.  In other words, if you were prepared to pay £10k and got trotted to £10k, what's the problem.  If it was trotted to £10.5k it either doesn't sell or it went to someone who wanted to spend £10.5k in which case you still wouldn't have won.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Whilst it is annoying and we all want a bargain, I don't see how it can be illiegal.  No one is forcing you to bid or buy, just set your maximum - some you win, some you don't but nobody has actually robbed you.  In other words, if you were prepared to pay £10k and got trotted to £10k, what's the problem.  If it was trotted to £10.5k it either doesn't sell or it went to someone who wanted to spend £10.5k in which case you still wouldn't have won.

Having said that, we've all seen private punters trotted up to silly figures.

Yes they should know better, but its not right.

1 minute ago, twerp said:

Having said that, we've all seen private punters trotted up to silly figures.

Yes they should know better, but its not right.

why isnt it right?

for me its a full time occupation 

to them its saving money taking bread off my table,these same people want to rob you blind if they are plumbers solicitors chippies etc if you dare ask for a quote

bring it on gets them trotted yee har................

It happens and always has, nothing new.

I was bidding at BCA once, I knew the auctioneer was bidding me up so called his bluff, bidded up to what I was prepared to pay and walked away. He was almost begging me to have another bid but I just shook my head. Low and behold the same car was back the following week. 

We joke the h beam in the hall must be a billionaire the amount of cars it buys . 

• Like 1

It just the way it works unfortunately, I bet light fittings are the best bidders in some auction halls:)

I bet they have a button under the counter for online bids these days, that takes away the art of reading the auctioneer & room

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lakeside said:

It happens and always has, nothing new.

I was bidding at BCA once, I knew the auctioneer was bidding me up so called his bluff, bidded up to what I was prepared to pay and walked away. He was almost begging me to have another bid but I just shook my head. Low and behold the same car was back the following week. 

This can actually work in your favour if the vendor gets desperate and drops the reserve or more accommodating with provisionals.

9 hours ago, twerp said:

This can actually work in your favour if the vendor gets desperate and drops the reserve or more accommodating with provisionals.

Its very rare they make the same amount or more at the next sale.

• Like 1