Sign in to follow this  
Holmfirth Cars

MORE UNITS 4 LESS PROFIT THE WAY FORWARDS ?

Hi, are we all moving towards this Business Model ? 

More sales - for less profit per unit ? 

Or hold out for more profit per unit ?

July seems very quiet to me, how is everyone else doing ? 

Horses for courses

personally I don’t see the point of running around like a blue arsed fly for naff all profit 

I don’t want the burden of staff so won’t hire to allow for a change towards high unit lower profit model

and when Comebacks occur it makes it that one bit more annoying when you know there’s virtually nothing in the deal

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Holmfirth Cars said:

Busy fool syndrome ................................  a newbie i see 

I think if you ask established traders and newbies what consitutes a decent PPU  you will get a fairly large difference, 

• Like 1

Hi, ive been in the trade 25 years, and owned my own Business for 10 years, so im not a newbie !

so QQQ...what is a DECENT PPU in 2019 ???

2 minutes ago, Holmfirth Cars said:

Hi, ive been in the trade 25 years, and owned my own Business for 10 years, so im not a newbie !

so QQQ...what is a DECENT PPU in 2019 ???

As much as you can get.

Its whatever you are happy with and whatever works for you. I doubt anyone is going to post the answer in the public forum anyway.

Some sell 8 cars don't work for less than £2k etc, they are happy. 

Others sell 60/70 cars+ for £500 a car and are happy.

• Like 1

Quiet start to the month but i'm not going to start giving them away. Looking back it was the same last year...

1 hour ago, Holmfirth Cars said:

Depends. Can you give more info on your new mode. I think it’s hard to say if it would be more effective. Can you give more info?

What is your average PPU now? What are you planning on dropping it to? What value of cars you selling? How many are you buying a month now? How many more do you need to buy? Can you buy, prep, MOT, afford to advertise X amount more cars? 

We decided to drop our average margins £150 about 3 months ago. Even what might seem like a a relatively minor drop like that has meant a lot of changes for us. 

Be careful. It’s very easy to get in trouble.

Well I'm certainly NOT moving towards the low profit model . Not being a silly busy fool , never done that in all the yrs I've been working for my self . 

Not selling cars has more to do with , location , quality of product , being in the price loop not below it , keeping up with what sells as each new generation come on board .

Even where you advertise what model of car , all makes a difference between they ring me and not you . 

Its a changing type of job as new methods of selling and new generations come on board to buy cars . 

I've just sold a car to a customer 200 miles away and he liked my pictures , that was his criteria on looking for a car . " don't ask me either :rolleyes:" Left me £500 bank transfer deposit and collecting Thursday , its priced above the others too 

4 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

keeping up with what sells as each new generation come on board .

So important being on or ahead of the trend.

Edited by Rory RSC

I like a balance between the two so there is always something to do, keeps the spirits up, helps pays the overheads to have staff around to keep bills down if that makes sense.

• Like 1

In my book a deposit ( refundable because of distance selling ) IS NOT a sale, its merely an indication he will buy after a viewing, inspection, test drive etc...

Good luck...

16 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

I've just sold a car to a customer 200 miles away and he liked my pictures

That's why I sell 90% of my cars. The other 10% go to people that were actually looking for such a model. I have almost no local customers. Even with just £150 deposit unseen most cars are as good as sold. 

14 minutes ago, Holmfirth Cars said:

In my book a deposit ( refundable because of distance selling ) IS NOT a sale, its merely an indication he will buy after a viewing, inspection, test drive etc...

Good luck...

Glass half full kinda chap will fit in well here then.

7 minutes ago, tradex said:

Some have high profit, some are low, some are money back, always has been. 

This

46 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Glass half full kinda chap

To me this read more like Glass half empty...

41 minutes ago, tradex said:

Some have high profit, some are low

Too true + I’ll add “some fly away, some sit for bloody months & months”. Tbh nowadays I struggle to predict a length of time in stock until sold.

It’d be nice to have a crystal ball in this game.

3 hours ago, Holmfirth Cars said:

No point in being a busy fool but then again there is little point hanging on for 12 months just to say you've had 2grand on a car. The job is a balance and I always judge a car on its own. If I have a car of which there are plenty around(Fiesta, Corsa etc) then I will more than likely take a deal on it compared to something which is special and I will look to take a lump out of. I think that is the true beauty of this job, get a model that suits you and stick with it.

I have had some quiet weeks of late and some busy weeks but I am down quite a bit on numbers from last year but profit is within  a few hundred quid.

Good luck...

And i tell you now he will take it home , subject to anything he wants to look at or say , Never had one refuse yet and he wont be the first to walk away without his car , I'm a lot fussier than he is and I haven't met him yet , Tell you Thursday when 12 k spills out of the card terminal .

My world a deposit is a sold item , its not refundable either on distance selling because hes coming to see us and I'm open the public . man enough to offer a deposit and expect its here when you want to come 5 days later , then its not refundable sir , they know that too no secret . No deposit i don't save it "period " But don't expect the service of taking it off sale and keeping safe for you without your side of the bargain sir . 

But i do know what they are looking for before they arrive and their expectations are always exceeded . Why no one leaves without their new car . 

There are many many many skills to this game that i would not post , its a life lesson , One is dont do owt for nowt unless its for thee sen . Or in English Make sure you take a profit that is proportional to the sale . 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BHM said:

Too true + I’ll add “some fly away, some sit for bloody months & months”. Tbh nowadays I struggle to predict a length of time in stock until sold.

I think that goes for many of us BHM, had a few lately that should have pissed out but took way too long to sell(Still managed good profit due to increasing the price after slashing them down in price). One thing for sure is don't overthink it, make sure the cars are right and they will go...some sooner than others!

47 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

To me this read more like Glass half empty...

That’s what I meant to say 

4 hours ago, David Horgan said:

There are many many many skills to this game that i would not post , its a life lesson , One is dont do owt for nowt unless its for thee sen . Or in English Make sure you take a profit that is proportional to the sale . 

Can't give everybody free info you have got to be in the game long enough to learn from it:)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BHM said:

I sold a  petrol CRV last week, only on its 5th day... funny old game 

Edited by Arfur Dealy

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I sold a  petrol CRV last week, only on its 5th day... funny old game 

It certainly is, I’ve got some stock sat for months (some with good reason I should add) & some turns over within 2-3 weeks.

One of my quickest sales was about a month ago. Phone call within 30 minutes and the man turned up 2 hours later as promised. I thought it was a wind-up!

The car? A bottom specification Dacia Logan. The one in any colour as long as it’s white, manual keys, no central locking, not even a radio. 

Really nice buyer, no arrogance, pocket full of pound notes & declared every fault on his £100 swapper. It took him longer swapping over the shit from his p/x than it did to do the deal.

Compare that to a VW deal. Three weeks of Mr. Grants (first name Immi) leaving answerphone messages at 11pm requesting callbacks (waste of time here mate), the Nearly Men asking about bumper scuffs & engine codes, the inevitable “When was the cambelt changed?” by our own homegrown internet surfing, big-talking trash and when a man turns up he’s expecting the VIP treatment, can’t scrape £200 from his wallet for a deposit & his wanked-out (described as mint condition & fully maintained) Golf/Passat has the front wings hanging off it, rattling flywheel, next to no history & the cambelt is 3 years overdue.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tradex said:

Compare that to a VW deal. Three weeks of Mr. Grants (first name Immi) leaving answerphone messages at 11pm requesting callbacks (waste of time here mate), the Nearly Men asking about bumper scuffs & engine codes, the inevitable “When was the cambelt changed?” by our own homegrown internet surfing, big-talking trash and when a man turns up he’s expecting the VIP treatment, can’t scrape £200 from his wallet for a deposit & his wanked-out (described as mint condition & fully maintained) Golf/Passat has the front wings hanging off it, rattling flywheel, next to no history & the cambelt is 3 years overdue.

I love this sort when they turn up :rolleyes:with a shagged px , 

4 hours ago, BHM said:

It certainly is, I’ve got some stock sat for months (some with good reason I should add) & some turns over within 2-3 weeks.

One of my quickest sales was about a month ago. Phone call within 30 minutes and the man turned up 2 hours later as promised. I thought it was a wind-up!

The car? A bottom specification Dacia Logan. The one in any colour as long as it’s white, manual keys, no central locking, not even a radio. 

Really nice buyer, no arrogance, pocket full of pound notes & declared every fault on his £100 swapper. It took him longer swapping over the shit from his p/x than it did to do the deal.

ha ha these very same people,i wonder if they come to you first or me first coz ive ad all thems:lol: