Sign in to follow this  
David Horgan

BCA essential checks £7.50

If your not aware there are trials at a couple of BCA auctions going on right now were they have introduced another check system .

For cars without the assured report they are trialling a check that checks lights , horn , indicators , and a few simple checks .

All for the sum of £7.50 per car . With this so called check there is no claims procedure at all . 

Seems to be another way of attaining £7.50 x a few thousand cars to me .

they have phoned me to ask if I like it or not so I said no as every pro trader looks at those items anyway so why charge us £7.50 .

I bought over 300 cars last year from BCA and if that was all essential checked my bill would have been in the region of £2,500 or approx £50 a week .

What will these crooks think of next to skin money from us .

I would tell your local auction how you feel the next time your on the email system , if we all shout loud they might back down .

Never know .

Or 

Is it a good idea ?

14 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

If your not aware there are trials at a couple of BCA auctions going on right now were they have introduced another check system .

For cars without the assured report they are trialling a check that checks lights , horn , indicators , and a few simple checks .

All for the sum of £7.50 per car . With this so called check there is no claims procedure at all . 

Seems to be another way of attaining £7.50 x a few thousand cars to me .

they have phoned me to ask if I like it or not so I said no as every pro trader looks at those items anyway so why charge us £7.50 .

I bought over 300 cars last year from BCA and if that was all essential checked my bill would have been in the region of £2,500 or approx £50 a week .

What will these crooks think of next to skin money from us .

I would tell your local auction how you feel the next time your on the email system , if we all shout loud they might back down .

Never know .

Or 

Is it a good idea ?

I think regardless of the cost its an insult to a pro dealers intelligence, much rather they do something more constructive like for £75 they could give a car a cold start check and a proper test drive engine/box by a proper mechanic rather than a crap stationary report by a car parking chap, that would be worth £75 and the uptake worth employing someone to do the job.

but in reality they don't want to upset the vendors by telling them their entry is fooked, both parties already know anyway!.... easier to fook us over, even easier now with the bun fight for stock since the auction credit launch. 

1 minute ago, awc1000 said:

I think regardless of the cost its an insult to a pro dealers intelligence, much rather they do something more constructive like for £75 they could give a car a cold start check and a proper test drive engine/box by a proper mechanic rather than a crap stationary report by a car parking chap, that would be worth £75 and the uptake worth employing someone to do the job.

but in reality they don't want to upset the vendors by telling them their entry is fooked, both parties already know anyway!.... easier to fook us over, even easier now with the bun fight for stock since the auction credit launch. 

and if anyone wants to uptake the bca light check for £7.50 - i can send my lad round to yours who will do it for a fiver a car as long as you have 25+ units...;)

• Like 1

They seem to be following the Ryanair model more and more where they have so many thousands of transactions that even a couple of quid "added value" here and there really add to their bottom line. 

Bought a car online from BCA Wolverhampton, yes it might've been slightly cheaper than Blackbushe but my immediate added costs were £44 Live on Line fee and £95 delivery charge. The car was paid on TUE and should arrive here next WED! 8 days! I can buy from Blackbushe in person and sell it in 8 days! 

Buying in person and collecting in person really has it's advantages sometimes. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind, but they struggle to get the Assured Checks right. 

Recent discovery : perfect assured test but arrives with a burst AC radiator and I didn't realise until it was too late.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awc1000 said:

I think regardless of the cost its an insult to a pro dealers intelligence,

That's exactly what i told the guy on the phone , ALL pro dealers can be seen checking cars cant they , Total insult to us all in my mind .

AND I TOLD HIM SO TOO :angry:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

They seem to be following the Ryanair model more and more where they have so many thousands of transactions that even a couple of quid "added value" here and there really add to their bottom line. 

Bought a car online from BCA Wolverhampton, yes it might've been slightly cheaper than Blackbushe but my immediate added costs were £44 Live on Line fee and £95 delivery charge. The car was paid on TUE and should arrive here next WED! 8 days! I can buy from Blackbushe in person and sell it in 8 days! 

5 working days for delivery 

Just another way of making more money they dont need, sound familiar?! 

I rarely buy out of BCA anymore most of the cars are shite. 

3 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

They seem to be following the Ryanair model more and more 

But with Ryanair at least the basic transaction (a ticket) is cheaper than elsewhere. With BCA the basic transaction (buyers fee/commission) is significantly more expensive than both the local indies we use...they're not even cheap to begin with before you get into the world of add on fees.

You cannot blame them for trying to invent ways of squeezing us.A friend was entering a fully minted car into our BCA recently and was charged a compulsory £10 to have it washed.What next,car parking permit charges,speedy yard collection charges,

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

With BCA the basic transaction (buyers fee/commission)

To me the basic BCA transaction is the car hammer price. 

Everything else I view as an "Extra legroom" kind of add-on. Compulsory but add-on. 

20 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

To me the basic BCA transaction is the car hammer price. 

Everything else I view as an "Extra legroom" kind of add-on. Compulsory but add-on. 

I'd say commission on hammer isn't an add on because it's (supposed to be) how they earn their money. I don't begrudge comm because I can build it into my bid but the extra waffle is where I don't agree, the extras are unnecessary add ons to me. Things I can live without but am obliged to pay for.

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

I have just completed their survey and don’t think it was what they want to hear.

Did that before Xmas and got f*ck all feedback, was very specific too... Most certainly not what they want to read...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, trade vet said:

,speedy yard collection charges,

I think you are onto something with that I would pay it :lol: Manheim Colchester our lads were there for 90mins + last week for 2 cars 

its £7.50 for nothing, as if you wouldnt buy a car because a couple of bulbs have blown?? Do I check them before buying a car? No. Because thats what an MOT is for which I do before it goes on sale. It's like Nick says, a few quid which doesnt stop you buying the car (but does wind you up) but makes a huge difference to them at year end.

4 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Manheim Colchester our lads were there for 90mins + last week for 2 cars 

If this includes them bidding in the hall it's not that bad  :lol:

Another worthless 'add on' that they are not accountable for and we cannot sell on? Bit like surecheck?

I do think that the days of the physical auction are numbered. The big auction houses would much prefer you didn't attend. They wont have to concern themselves with providing 'facilities', and all that parking space can be turned over to storage? No cash issues, everyone has to be registered with an account. You can just sit at home clicking buy? It's so easy?:unsure:

On 29/03/2019 at 4:02 PM, Nick M.K. said:

Thought you said BCA run an excellent service?

Perhaps now you might understand why i told them to bugger off when they started emailing me less than 24 hours demanding to know when i will pick up when i have 6 days to pick up...

This is why I dont use car auctions. Just me I have had bad experience. I now use a local delivery firm with a twist. I buy from Dealer Auction. The owner of the Logisitcs Co is a former car salesman himself, does a full on site check. Charges me £35 for the hour plus delivery. He does a full appraisal check inside and out. Even makes videos and sends them to me. I then pay once he gives me green light. In all he has saved me more than a few £££ pounds at a time. Biggest saving was £700 for a Poor Previous Repair that was listed on Sytner auction. In the end it just needed a good buff to bring back to life. Essentially i get free delivery.  He's not cheap but better than Movex driver who just gets in the car and rags it up to us.

On 29/03/2019 at 1:57 PM, met said:

Another worthless 'add on' that they are not accountable for and we cannot sell on? Bit like surecheck?

I do think that the days of the physical auction are numbered. The big auction houses would much prefer you didn't attend. They wont have to concern themselves with providing 'facilities', and all that parking space can be turned over to storage? No cash issues, everyone has to be registered with an account. You can just sit at home clicking buy? It's so easy?:unsure:

Nottingham have used a large proportion of their visitor car park to park stock

Some grade 3s in person seemed like grades 4 or 5.

Bid online and you may well get stinged. Its all about their ££££

9 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Nottingham have used a large proportion of their visitor car park to park stock

Lots of auction sites grab customer parking to store stock when required. It's the 'thin end of the wedge' to discouraging you from attending in person?

53 minutes ago, met said:

Lots of auction sites grab customer parking to store stock when required. It's the 'thin end of the wedge' to discouraging you from attending in person?

Notts BCA have permanently concreted the fences in to reduce car parking . The place isn't worth a light now , not like it used to be .

55 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Notts BCA have permanently concreted the fences in to reduce car parking . The place isn't worth a light now , not like it used to be .

I'd agree, on sale days virtually no space for card holders! Have even seen spaces taken up by 10-15 empty car transporters.... 

Most inner city locations would be better selling the land for redevelopment and moving to a more suitable out of town location with more space / access etc..

Some locations are not fit for purposes anymore as the game and volumes have changed significantly... An old disused airfield (Bruntingthorpe) is an ideal choice... but I bet these are in high demand for housing development!

I got this in an email last week... Land wanted..... FFS :huh:

8 hours ago, Area 51 said:

I'd agree, on sale days virtually no space for card holders! Have even seen spaces taken up by 10-15 empty car transporters.... 

Most inner city locations would be better selling the land for redevelopment and moving to a more suitable out of town location with more space / access etc..

Some locations are not fit for purposes anymore as the game and volumes have changed significantly... An old disused airfield (Bruntingthorpe) is an ideal choice... but I bet these are in high demand for housing development!

I got this in an email last week... Land wanted..... FFS :huh:

I can't see the big auction houses continuing physical auctions for much longer. It's much easier for them to leave us at home bidding, and just pay at checkout including delivery. For the auction they no longer have to feed us, provide parking, accept cash, employ so many staff, and gain valuable storage space with re-purposing customer car parks. Even the auctioneer is on dodgy ground if they use the 'Copart' auction machine as cars no longer have to actually move through the auction block?

Edited by met

Another way of getting more money out of us, be interesting to see if they put these checks on nearly new cars that are under manufacturers warranty (which is literally for BCA like printing free money), i still find it a disgrace that if you do get a refund on a vehicle because of the AA mechanical check not showing something major, that when they refund you the money, its always less the assurance check cost -_-

The joys of the motor trade

On 4/10/2019 at 7:45 PM, met said:

I can't see the big auction houses continuing physical auctions for much longer. It's much easier for them to leave us at home bidding, and just pay at checkout including delivery. For the auction they no longer have to feed us, provide parking, accept cash, employ so many staff, and gain valuable storage space with re-purposing customer car parks. Even the auctioneer is on dodgy ground if they use the 'Copart' auction machine as cars no longer have to actually move through the auction block?

I've often thought that the major 2 auction houses will eventually offer online auctions only. I read an article a few months ago when a new MD took over Manheim and he said he aims to close the smaller branches within a few years. I guess though that if Manheim go online only, all the old fashioned dealers who prefer to attend (like me!) will go to BCA! I'm sure both will be online only in the coming years though.

It sounds like most dealers on here are happy to buy online but I'd much prefer to see the cars in the metal. It can be hard enough spotting snags in person so buying online has always seemed a risk too far for me. Plenty of dealers I've spoken to at the block have said they'd never buy online - admittedly, this does greatly limit your buying potential.

Sometimes I spot 'bargains' online - they go through the block in the following sale and I check them out physically - some are fine, others have paintwork that is a lot worse than expected or take ages to turn over. So that has never inspired me with much confidence to bid online.