Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Slightly different colour wings

Just noticed on one of my Audis (2006 A4) that the front wings don't perfectly match the rest of the car, I'm guessing they're new because there isn't a spot of rust around the arches at all like you'd expect.

It's only really when you notice it that it looks off by half a shade, do you think any punters are going to be hugely put off by it? 

Occasionally people say to me when they’re looking at a car “it’s had paint” to which my reply is “it’s an 8 year old car in very good cosmetic condition. I’d be amazed if it hasn’t had a small repair here and there. It’s a testament to the previous owners that they kept on top of things like that.  It is however, HPI clear and has never been written off”

And I leave it at that. If someone wants to crib a car because it’s been maintained and repaired then they can do so but I won’t be listening to them for very long. 

• Like 2

The punter when buying it won’t notice it.A problem may occur sometime later when they are showing it off to friends or family who will point it out and delight in saying it has been in a serious accident.......So be prepared for that.

• Like 1

As you have spotted it, I'd say (from my own experience) you will see it all the more and each time you see the car!

Had an Xc60 over the summer, graze on the front bumper, only real solution was a respray.. wasnt happy on the first job; refused it. Final job was better, but "I" could see it.. had to tell myself to stop being soooo pissy over the job.... Couple that had the car off me didnt even see it or remark on the pristine front end.. didnt drive it until they had paid and were collecting!

I could see a slight colour mis match to the wings and bonnet.. but thats me.. I need to tune out a bit more..

As the others have said here, its an older car and testament to the previous owners its been looked after..  Paint will age in the UV so it will always be hard to totally match the colour.. sure some other here know more on paint matching and metallic base coats, water base pearlescents etc etc

The correct way to paint wings is to blend the colour into the front doors aswell, otherwise the colour will be noticeable against the 10 year old faded paint of the door.

Put simply, if a prospective customer is put off by the wings being a different shade to the rest of the car, allow yourself a gallic shrug and let them go and buy something else, they'd live with you anyway if they were that fussy.most of my stock is 8-12 years old, so will have had paint done. And 90% of customers at this age/price range is realistic enough to know that. 

Does it have any bearing on the reliability of the car? No. Which when they are 12 years old, is surely the most important thing.

So dont kick yourself about it, it will sell!

Great replies chap thanks, if it was brand new then obviously id be concerned and get it sorted, I think any punter would prefer slightly off coloured wings rather than rusty ones!

1 hour ago, EPV said:

Occasionally people say to me when they’re looking at a car “it’s had paint” to which my reply is “it’s an 8 year old car in very good cosmetic condition. I’d be amazed if it hasn’t had a small repair here and there. It’s a testament to the previous owners that they kept on top of things like that.  It is however, HPI clear and has never been written off”

And I leave it at that. If someone wants to crib a car because it’s been maintained and repaired then they can do so but I won’t be listening to them for very long. 

I say a similar thing but never mention write off puts crazy ideas in there heads, and i have noticed over the years just because you can see it 90% of the general public will not, as long as it hasnt had a bang i wouldnt worry over it, i have sent cars to paint and the blend is worse than the mark i had painted out. 

I was walking across a franchise forecourt not long ago and the almost all the stock needed attention but up for retail.

And yet they're selling them with a promise of smart repairs if the customers makes a fuss.

We purchase quite a few late ex demos etc that we can’t find in our normal supply routes and it amazes me the condition the cars arrive in, I know we are seen as “trade” so they don’t always get a proper clean and to be fair we don’t often get much off either.  

26 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Thats common with 2005/6 A4's :lol:

My blue one had this issue too with some bust

was that a 44e?

Edited by boring dave
wqww
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

I say a similar thing but never mention write off puts crazy ideas in there heads, and i have noticed over the years just because you can see it 90% of the general public will not, as long as it hasnt had a bang i wouldnt worry over it, i have sent cars to paint and the blend is worse than the mark i had painted out. 

+1

You will always have a keener eye that the standard punter, we had this recently, we had it in stock for months, and the paint job they did on the wings was starting to loose its 'shine', we took it back, and they machine polished it back to life, improved the wings enough to sell them.

6 minutes ago, boring dave said:

was that a 44e?

It was a genuine typo you dirty dog lol

I did have a trashy milf once buy a car and we took a trip to the bank i think she wanted to give me a tip....:lol:

Edited by ExCouncilJobsworth

1 minute ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

It was a genuine typo you dirty dog lol

I did have a trashy milf once buy a car and we took a trip to the bank i think she wanted to give me a tip....:lol:

God help the man that ignores a ladies attempt to 'flirt'

4 hours ago, Mikey360 said:

Just noticed on one of my Audis (2006 A4) that the front wings don't perfectly match the rest of the car, I'm guessing they're new because there isn't a spot of rust around the arches at all like you'd expect.

It's only really when you notice it that it looks off by half a shade, do you think any punters are going to be hugely put off by it? 

Bet it was silver or certainly a light metallic 

52 minutes ago, met said:

God help the man that ignores a ladies attempt to 'flirt'

A man is allowed taste...dont want to catch anything

Mixing business and pleasure...wonder what some of you have got up to in the back of the office...

3 hours ago, MattR said:

Put simply, if a prospective customer is put off by the wings being a different shade to the rest of the car, allow yourself a gallic shrug and let them go and buy something else, they'd live with you anyway if they were that fussy.most of my stock is 8-12 years old, so will have had paint done. And 90% of customers at this age/price range is realistic enough to know that. 

Does it have any bearing on the reliability of the car? No. Which when they are 12 years old, is surely the most important thing.

So dont kick yourself about it, it will sell!

+1 it will sell.

5 hours ago, Mikey360 said:

Don't worry it will sell. Most customers are not in the trade and don't have such a keen eye. Honesty is the best way if they ask just tell them it's a 12 year old car previous owner must have looked after it, what more do you expect for the money its not a new car 

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Bet it was silver or certainly a light metallic 

Bingo! Dolphin Grey!

Glad you've all put my mind at ease, rest of the car is spot on, could just imagine waves of messages pointing out the colour difference and asking for a grand off! 

I wouldn’t give a toss. It’s a 12yr old near end of life car. Most punters won’t notice & those that do will do so be because they know they’re rot boxes so are looking for issues and/or repairs.

Don't worry about it on a car that age. If they do notice and are fussy about it, then you've probably saved yourself aggro in the future. Chances are they won't see it though.

if they didnt notice it on inspection then just make sure you have just washed it as they arrive for collection:ph34r:

:lol: