Sign in to follow this  
Leons Car Sales

car sourcing

hi a few years ago i started trading cars from home with maniheim being my main source how ever i decided to give it up due to the fact of the cars going through the auction was so expensive, as a mechanic it should be easy enough and cost effective for me to make a profit but for the life of me i struggle to find motors worth buying for less than what the car is worth. so heres my question...

Where is you favourite place to get your cars and why?

This topic has probably been covered 1000 times, sorry about that

Cars are still too expensive.

If anybody can find a cheap source I’m sure they won’t be posting it on an open forum for all and sundry.

Any f***er who is expecting an easy ride in this industry at the moment is deluded.

Cars expensive at the block? If you don’t like the heat get out of the kitchen.

Some cars are expensive at auction some are not, this has always been the case and always will be, the trick is buying the ones you can make good money on, they are there, I suppose this means being good at your job.

18 minutes ago, Stalker said:

It’s a bit like asking where the end of the rainbow is. 

Even if there were gold there, my customers wouldn’t have a pot to put it in.

9 hours ago, Row said:

Some cars are expensive at auction some are not, this has always been the case and always will be, the trick is buying the ones you can make good money on, they are there, I suppose this means being good at your job.

This ^^^

No such thing as a cheap car at auction and I have bought 280 out of Manheim this year about £71000 commission that plus AT FEES getting tough out there hard to get any cars at below almost impossible only px come this way.

I thought mechanics had a regular source of stock coming through their door every day?

Stand at the auction door and wait CAP catalogue in hand and be ready to wag at the cheapest car that day .

Result is, you will lose LESS money cos its the cheapest :)

Cant understand the heat of auction, stay away from auction ,and buy elsewhere is the answer . 

One thing for sure , you wont find out here I don't think 

I think EPV? put it over the best a while back: whether buying at auction or not, the talent is picking out the 'underpriced/undervalued stuff that others may miss or not understand or realise is priced wrong -as you know what it'll likely fetch retail (from experience). The guide is just that. A guide.

Whether that's buying something with a problem that you know isn't, or a seemingly undesirable thing you know has a following, or even something you just 'like' yourself and know you can resurrect. Taking a chance on a car with no history, or one that's on the list.  An old girl but great spec. Something that's been boyed up that you can put back to standard and so on.

It's a lottery as to how many you'll win v lose- and as TV said yesterday: the stock speaks to you in the end and you evolve to stock what works for you and the site (if you have one).

I don't bid at auctions anymore, but did for many years.  It's a despicable sham that wouldn't be allowed in another walk of life as half the 'bids' aren't genuine.

If I do bid at auction, it's online and I set my max price before and leave it.  Surprisingly I do win the odd couple a month and often below my highest bid- as I guess this is more regulated in that if you always win at your highest bid, then a rat will indeed be smelled.

An auction is an invaluable place to hang out and watch and learn though.  I spent half my childhood in them.

• Like 2

The trick is to sell at a sensible margin and use your skills and prep to sell above market value.

My cars are nearly always above market value but the prep, set up and after sales support (added value), justifies this and most people buy.  Having said that, I avoid jelly mould cars so there is less competition and this tactic wouldn’t work on a 10 plate, silver Corsa 1.2 with 50k because there are 1000’s of others available much cheaper - I don’t swim in those waters.

2 hours ago, boring dave said:

fish shop

Florist

a mate if mine set his wife up as a florist years ago. He ended up working for her. Plus an endless stream of customers that fall in love, marry and die. With lots of expensive flowers needed at every stage!

21 hours ago, BHM said:

Even if there were gold there, my customers wouldn’t have a pot to put it in.

:lol:

10 hours ago, met said:

I thought mechanics had a regular source of stock coming through their door every day?

I work at a ‘prestige’ dealer and all of our trade ins go to Manheim and even the battered trade ins seem to get top dollar

Partnering with Tesla to underwrite their PXs when they first opened would have been a great move.

Maybe tag onto a dealer who gets trade-ins , I know of several dealers who regularly sell to car dealerships the tradeins etc.