Sign in to follow this  
Frankieola

Storage

I've just started to trade from home and have 8-10 cars at any one time, I've been parking them up locally and moving them around but its time consuming and there are some people out there who don't want a random car outside their house!

I've been looking around for somewhere to store them and not come up with anything as yet but was offered something today.

Its a gated yard tucked away at the back of a rural industrial estate, I reckon it could hold 25 cars easily, maybe even 35 if you parked side to side and the guy reckons it will be £280 a month, no rates, 1 year contract with the option for me to give 2 months notice after 6 months as he knows I'm only starting out.

A part of me thinks go for it as I'm unlikely to get anything better but I am a little hesitant as it is more than I need.

I'm based on the outskirts of Hertfordshire.

What do you guys think?

Great value. If its gated, I assume that means fairly secure? Certainly less hassle than having cars littering the streets.

Sounds good value to me too...Although the wise words regarding insurance an security would be my first considerations...

Then I'd be thinking about the space I wasn't using and seeing if I could get some money from any other traders in a similar position... or getting a little cabin on it with a little      generator !!

2 hours ago, Frankieola said:

I've just started to trade from home and have 8-10 cars at any one time, I've been parking them up locally and moving them around but its time consuming and there are some people out there who don't want a random car outside their house!

I've been looking around for somewhere to store them and not come up with anything as yet but was offered something today.

Its a gated yard tucked away at the back of a rural industrial estate, I reckon it could hold 25 cars easily, maybe even 35 if you parked side to side and the guy reckons it will be £280 a month, no rates, 1 year contract with the option for me to give 2 months notice after 6 months as he knows I'm only starting out.

A part of me thinks go for it as I'm unlikely to get anything better but I am a little hesitant as it is more than I need.

I'm based on the outskirts of Hertfordshire.

What do you guys think?

Grab the opportunity and go for it. It'll pay for itself without you having to tax the cars, the logistics of rotation becomes very very monotonous. Get a porta cabin and some trade plates and fly....... ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankieola said:

I reckon it could hold 25 cars easily, maybe even 35 if you parked side to side and the guy reckons it will be £280 a month

This what I pay not far from you for my "overspill p/x storage". Holds 8 cars. 

That sound great and as others have said just check what security measures you would need to take, also at that price I would not worry about not initially being able to fill it as at least it leaves your the option of being able to grow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I would be in there by now, not considering it.

Correct. It’s dirt cheap. Literally dirt fucking cheap. Go for it mate. 

• Like 1

If you are worried about the money or not filling it why not ask a few trade friends if they fancy going half’s/Thirds on the rent and letting them use some spare spaces?

Edited by Lakeside

10 minutes ago, Lakeside said:

If you are worried about the money or not filling it why not ask a few trade friends if they fancy going half’s/Thirds on the rent and letting them use some spare spaces?

Great idea. It could be an opportunity for you to £££££'s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Great idea. It could be an opportunity for you to £££££'s

Maybe get a couple or three caravans / motorhomes... usually reasonable types own these.. few bob to spend..help your costs if you need to add security! Go for it, its cheap!!

Hi Frankie     Unless you are doing cheapies,I think you would be better off finding a small unit for a dozen cars.If you have to show something to a punter,they should find it more comfortable if you have premises rather than an open yard.If you can find one,it should not cost that much more and with small units there are no business rates.

Do it. Make it your mission to pay the majority of the rent off the back of just one healthy big margin sale. There is my challenge for you.

I used to do paperwork out the boot of a car with no office and kept all my keys in a tub inside a JD sports bag. 

We rented yard space on a rural industrial estate years ago. It was full of builders storage, scaffolding and double glazing companies. The problem for us was cars left unattended attract unwanted attention. Especially 'pikey ninjas' in the night!

11 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Frankie     Unless you are doing cheapies,I think you would be better off finding a small unit for a dozen cars.If you have to show something to a punter,they should find it more comfortable if you have premises rather than an open yard.If you can find one,it should not cost that much more and with small units there are no business rates.

In Hertfordshire, I reckon a unit to hold a dozen cars will be atleast 5 x the cost of this storage, that's a big jump.

The unit needs to be the ultimate goal but this storage "thing" is a far better way than parking cars around various streets - just logistically.

Your advert will need to read something like "all vehicles are kept in a secure off-site storage facility and therfore all viewings are on an appointment only basis, please ring to arrange."

You will hopefully find things much easier to manage - simply drive to the storage, swap trade plates and drive home in the car being viewed.  Then either get a lift back (if it sells) or reverse the process.

The two month notice offer after six months is not here or there as you liability is still 8 months and if you are still managing at 8 months, you can easily do 12 (does that make sense)

Good luck.

17 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

Sounds cheap.

Just think about insurance, security and possible damage etc. 

This - speak to your insurance company to ensure that they will cover your total stock value stored in the unit. They will obviously want to know the address, security, alarm, possible window access (grills over etc), roof access and make sure that car keys are either in a locked steel cabinet or away from the premises out of hours. 

4 minutes ago, MOTORS said:

This - speak to your insurance company to ensure that they will cover your total stock value stored in the unit. They will obviously want to know the address, security, alarm, possible window access (grills over etc), roof access and make sure that car keys are either in a locked steel cabinet or away from the premises out of hours. 

18 hours ago, Frankieola said:

Its a gated yard

Thanks for the feedback guys, always good to get others opinions. 

I think I'm going to take is as even though I won't be able to take customers there, its going to be so useful.