Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

eBay purchase Motors from Cox

Click to view this online

Dear valued Gumtree partner, 

I am excited to share the news that Gumtree's parent company eBay has today announced that it has signed an agreement with Cox Automotive to acquire Motors.co.uk, which you will be aware is a leading UK-based classifieds site that makes the car buying and selling process intuitive and simple. 

Subject to deal close, Motors.co.uk will become part of Gumtree UK, an eBay Classifieds Group (eCG) business. 

We see this deal as presenting a fantastic opportunity for the used car dealer community. Combining the inventory, customer relationships, and traffic available on Gumtree UK, eBay Motors UK and Motors.co.uk, along with Motors.co.uk's cutting-edge dealer tools and services, will help UK car dealers increase their leads and bring buyers more choice and value. 

The acquisition will also jointly position Motors.co.uk, Gumtree UK, and eBay Motors UK - which together offer more than 620,000 car listings - as a leading alternative to the current UK motors market leader. 

The move builds on the joint offering of Gumtree UK Motors and eBay UK Motors that launched in January 2018, enabling car dealers in the UK to easily reach customers on both platforms and give buyers access to more listings and the ability to generate more sales. 

Fast Facts on Motors.co.uk:

A subsidiary of Cox Automotive

UK's #2 dealer-facing brand, measured by inventory, with over 350,000 used car listings

Their tools help dealers:

Manage and coordinate stock efficiently from anywhere 

Leverage buyer and seller insight to improve lead generation, marketing, and pricing

Expand reach by syndicating listings across a large network

We hope you're as excited as we are about this announcement and we look forward to continuing to work closely with you in the future. 

We will continue to update you on progress as we bring the Gumtree, eBay and Motors.co.ukbusinesses together. 

Kind regards, 

Matt Barham
General Manager, Gumtree UK 

This email was sent by Gumtree.com Ltd., which may make use of its affiliates to provide the Gumtree services. Please visit our Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions if you have any questions. Click here to unsubscribe from these emails.

Gumtree Limited, registered in England and Wales with number 03­93­48­49. Hill House, 2 Heron Square, Richmond,, London, London, TW9 1EP, United Kingdom. ©Copyright 2­000-201­8Gumtree.com. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Gumtree.com and the Gumtree logo are trademarks of Gumtree.com
|

Intreresting move ! so what does everyone think - is this going to be good or bad for dealers ? 

Bad for dealers that don't use eBay or Gumtree presently. That package costs around £400 pcm for 25ish vehicles. 

Similar Motors package costs less than £100. 

What they will probably do is amalgamate all three platforms into one package which will cost approx 1/3 to one-half of the AT cost so will not be cheap. 

If you currently use eBay and Gumtree and also Motors it should make no difference. 

3 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Bad for dealers that don't use eBay or Gumtree presently. That package costs around £400 pcm for 25ish vehicles. 

Similar Motors package costs less than £100. 

What they will probably do is amalgamate all three platforms into one package which will cost approx 1/3 to one-half of the AT cost so will not be cheap. 

If you currently use eBay and Gumtree and also Motors it should make no difference. 

Probably ok at the moment while you've got a contract with EMP but would imagine a pretty big price hike come renewal time....

Not convinced moulding three turds together is going to produce anything to worry AT

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anglo9 said:

Not convinced moulding three turds together is going to produce anything to worry AT

Tend to agree +1

Motors is a rubbish platform and doesn’t sell cars. Gumtree is for the pond life & eBay’s bubble is spiralling downwards.... 

• Like 2

Hopefully, the only consequence of this is that AT try to become more competitive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tradex said:

But Motors never ran/started/worked insert witty retort....did it? 

Motors was a waste of time IMHO, I pursued them for my money back, didn't get anywhere. If Ebay/Gumtree feel that his move makes them better...... i think they are in for a surprise.

10 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Motors was a waste of time IMHO, I pursued them for my money back, didn't get anywhere. If Ebay/Gumtree feel that his move makes them better...... i think they are in for a surprise.

May as well acquire F&F (remember them?- wish they'd given me my money back!) and Car Gurus for all the good it'll do!

ebayMP works well for us (don't use Gumtree and have got away with out having to again this year at ebayMP contract renewal time) the others are 'also rans' but you never know. 

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Hopefully, the only consequence of this is that AT try to become more competitive.

Autoraper won't care-a-less and it will just continue to go up- as will the 'new' ebay/motors, but I don't think they'd put it up much.  We'll see.

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Tend to agree +1

Motors is a rubbish platform and doesn’t sell cars. Gumtree is for the pond life & eBay’s bubble is spiralling downwards.... 

+ 1

I'd agree, non seem to have a clear plan on how to take on the market AT has dominated.. Although something does need to shake these greedy saps up.. Ebay shares have been falling quite a bit and most reading appears to suggest they have lost their way trying to mimic Amazon on the cheap; can only guess someone made a few quid selling it on..

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

+ 1, we can hope! Market dominance can be doomed to fail, but rather than wait its best to use it to best advantage I'd say... Here is another consolidation story I got

earlier in the week.. https://www.motortrader.com/motor-trader-news/automotive-news/aston-barclay-buys-39m-turnover-car-buying-group-15-10-2018?eea=NFVBSXo2ZkVRSWJqVnRVUzY2Z3J6QjJzTVhJVG5aMUo1bnVCSGRQQW92Yz0=&n_hash=579&utm_source=eshot&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MT-2906-(Edi)DailyNewsletter-#579

3 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

DILLIGAF  :lol:

+1 :D Got a few t-shirts with that printed on it Dave... :D

LOL, we got T Shirts, Hats etc, used to go see Kev a lot when we lived "darn sarf" and he was playing UK ;)

"Mick, me mate the master farter" etc etc

• Like 1

OK, OK, so for those youngsters among you, who need google ;) ........................

"Hey Santa Claus you cunt, where's me fuckin' bike, I've unwrapped all this other junk and there's nothin' here I like" .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

"he's just a piss tank and a pervert boys and girls" .......................

Or hows about ....................

"Hey what times fuckin' smoko, what time do we knock off, where's me 6 cold cans of piss" etc etc etc ..........................

Good days for sure :D

22 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

OK, OK, so for those youngsters among you, who need google ;) ........................

"Hey Santa Claus you cunt, where's me fuckin' bike, I've unwrapped all this other junk and there's nothin' here I like" .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

"he's just a piss tank and a pervert boys and girls" .......................

Or hows about ....................

"Hey what times fuckin' smoko, what time do we knock off, where's me 6 cold cans of piss" etc etc etc ..........................

Good days for sure :D

POET's day Dave... ;)

Away and nail some skirt up there over the border....

26th is Nail Skirt Day, I'm DJ'ing a Halloween Party at a local Village Hall :D 

Hmmmmm, see what happens!

I think this will be a bit like a dog with no bite and they will have to be very careful how they price/dictate to people. I have already had a discussion with Ebay about them trying to force me to join with Gumtree.

2 hours ago, stockedup! said:

Hmmmmm, see what happens!

I think this will be a bit like a dog with no bite and they will have to be very careful how they price/dictate to people. I have already had a discussion with Ebay about them trying to force me to join with Gumtree.

I got out of that again this year without any fuss whatsoever. 

15 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:
16 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I got out of that again this year without any fuss whatsoever. 

I think I had an over zealous rep this year, they sharp got the message!

I think ebay will now flood facebook market place as Motors ( too my knowledge ) is the only car platform that feeds directly to it.

LB

Rubbish platform is Motors .

Listen to same old tripe about how views they have every time some new sales person pops in .

I go STOP right there , Have you got any evidence of how many actual sales you produce .

mmmmmm Cant answer that , Bye