Adam laffling

Sticking stock

Hi guys i know as traders we all love that feeling when we turn stock over in a very short space of time gives us all a real buzz, what sort of time frame would you feel a piece of stock is sticking around to long? I know we all have different views on this. 

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

there are threads on here covering this try a search 

But I’ll say 2 months. If it ain’t gone by 2 months it’s an orphan.

Ive got a fabia vrs thats been sat for 3 weeks now, one more week and i'm dropping the price to shift it. 

As said above, you will have a broad spectrum of answers. 

I used to be of the opinion it was 45 days and trade out but Nick on here made me realise that once you’ve put the effort in and prep’d it why get rid so soon. 

With that said I have one that’s knocking on 120 days and will soon become the victim of an eBay auction. 

11 minutes ago, EPV said:

As said above, you will have a broad spectrum of answers. 

I used to be of the opinion it was 45 days and trade out but Nick on here made me realise that once you’ve put the effort in and prep’d it why get rid so soon. 

With that said I have one that’s knocking on 120 days and will soon become the victim of an eBay auction. 

They get 6 months before an eBay auction here (few and far between thankfully). 

Heard a tale the other day; Any bad cars (such as those requiring removal of the oil pressure light!!) should be put in your name, nowadays the new v5 hides previous details, auction on a private account as a private sale & wave the buyer off into the sunset with a No Warranty invoice!!

I nearly choked on my coffee, who’d of thought it from a gentleman of the motor trade!?!!! I couldn’t believe his attitude towards Trading Standards & the general public. I sometimes grow tired of punters but there are some very sharp practices being employed by the unscrupulous.

1 hour ago, Mikey360 said:

Ive got a fabia vrs thats been sat for 3 weeks now, one more week and i'm dropping the price to shift it. 

I can’t get enough of the Mk1’s! Funny game this.

anything over 60 I’m twitchy and 90 it’s gotta go 

• Like 1

Learning to ‘blow money’ and ‘taking your medicine ‘ is all part of the job.If you have 3 cars and little space I would think 6 weeks then into the block and move on.However,when you have a pitch with a lot of stock you just gradually reduce them over time and eventually they go.Back in the 08 financial crash,it was different,people with big pitches and heavy stock were forced into taking huge hits all at once to move on so they could restock with cheaper stuff.I would imagine those who did nothing got into bother.

22 minutes ago, tradex said:

Why panic, you need to replace it with another sound car?

I know plenty that will hold a car for 9 months, it's not as if it's getting any easier to replace a good car for less money. Maybe this is a site metality, for door steppers with a lack of space, maybe not?

AND, as is the way with this game, give it 8 months 29 days, 5 customers will all want it on the same day.

The flip side to that is if it’s costing you £150 per space for advertising then 4 months is £600. That’s £600 and probably your margin gone and you possibly could have filled that space with a car and turned it twice making money instead of losing it. 

9 months and that’s £1350 plus maybe 4 or 5 cars profit you could have turned. 

So I appreciate the sentiment of not getting rid of too quickly but hanging on too long is costing you a shit load of money and losing you possible margins. 

Just now, tradex said:

Do you have a site?

No mate, doorstepper 

4 minutes ago, tradex said:

You could of bought 3 other cars with issues....?;)

Probably shouldn’t be in the trade then? :)

We are of the reduce a couple of hundred till it sells brigade, it happens, sometimes even on proper well prepared cars you've sold 10 times over before.

Also like to re photo is somethings been in say 8 weeks. Then the price drops can start at same time so taking it to whole new audience.

2 minutes ago, tradex said:

The thing is, with a site, we often have a large pool of ad spaces to fill the advertising 'slot', so it makes little difference if low on stock, we are paying anyway. Saying that some have a stocking loan to think of, we don't.

What I usually find. is that the 'plum up our arse' will always go and always make a profit given time, no point in cutting its legs off, it could be a car we often stock but in an oddball colour, the type that could sell in a day or hang around for months.

I think that car sales and carp fishing have a lot in common, no matter how big the bait, if no fish about, then no bites. Customers seem to come in schools, don't see one for a week then all hell breaks loose....I gave up trying to work it all out years ago.You either make a profit or a loss at the end of the year.

As usual YMMV and what works for one etc.

Very good post. 

5 minutes ago, tradex said:

The thing is, with a site, we often have a large pool of ad spaces to fill the advertising 'slot', so it makes little difference if low on stock, we are paying anyway. Saying that some have a stocking loan to think of, we don't.

What I usually find. is that the 'plum up our arse' will always go and always make a profit given time, no point in cutting its legs off, it could be a car we often stock but in an oddball colour, the type that could sell in a day or hang around for months.

I think that car sales and carp fishing have a lot in common, no matter how big the bait, if no fish about, then no bites. Customers seem to come in schools, don't see one for a week then all hell breaks loose....I gave up trying to work it all out years ago.You either make a profit or a loss at the end of the year.

As usual YMMV and what works for one etc.

This is experience talking..... brilliant...

Learning to ‘blow money’ and ‘taking your medicine ‘ is all part of the job...

I love this Ian...

Working from a lockup compound which costs £25 per month per vehicle so would have to sit around for a considerable about of time to erode the profit and the landowner is pretty flexible as to how many i can store on a monthly basis so no panic at all, Thankyou all for your imput its interesting to hear.

11 minutes ago, Adam laffling said:

Working from a lockup compound which costs £25 per month per vehicle so would have to sit around for a considerable about of time to erode the profit and the landowner is pretty flexible as to how many i can store on a monthly basis so no panic at all, Thankyou all for your imput its interesting to hear.

How much is your advertisement per unit though? 

19 minutes ago, Adam laffling said:

Works out £10 per unit per month.

Fuck me where do you advertise the newsagents? 

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

Fuck me where do you advertise the newsagents? 

Hahaha brilliant 

Edited by Del Boy

Seriously though where do you advertise? 

13 minutes ago, EPV said:

Seriously though where do you advertise? 

Yes please tell....

Well maybe if you would have asked in a reasonable manor in the the first place i would have told you there's no need for rudeness or swearing after all we are all on here to offer friendly advice and chat.