Adam laffling

Sticking stock

7 minutes ago, MSP Motors said:

I'm happy to plod along, I'll never make millions but ive decided to work for myself and sometimes I felt I had to work for autotrader!

I know exactly where you are coming from, I've never had any intent to be huge... I like being my own boss and now with the kids, I just want an easy life watching them grow at weekends, we've gota static in Newquay. To be fair, I sell everything remotely so it gives me alot of freedom, I just feel robbed with that AT bill when its quiet.... We all know how that feels....

8 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I know exactly where you are coming from, I've never had any intent to be huge... I like being my own boss and now with the kids, I just want an easy life watching them grow at weekends, we've gota static in Newquay. To be fair, I sell everything remotely so it gives me alot of freedom, I just feel robbed with that AT bill when its quiet.... We all know how that feels....

On the quiet months that your vat payment lands and the autotrader bill hits within hours.........

Just now, MSP Motors said:

On the quiet months that your vat payment lands and the autotrader bill hits within hours.........

This is so true and why I left the robbers.  The world didn’t end and not paying them three /four grand a month is the best thing I ever did.

Sure, it can be a bit quieter, but, like you say, it’s the quiet months when it used to really hurt when you've got 40-60 in stock and no sensible ‘bulk buy’ discount with them.  (and I hate the cluttered heavily sponsored website)  

Now I’m guilty of ‘smug-face’ on quiet months  

And as for the ‘tools’ well I’m sorry but stuff and nonsense -their free punter pricing tool is fine-and the only tool was me for using them for so long  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick M.K. said:

James, if able can you run a couple of examples through it for me:  MJ59HHF, 56K miles and HK64FFT, 24K miles

I need your postcode Nick, or at least one close to you. Otherwise it will just show me information for my locale. 

Just now, NOACROSS said:

Nick is Milton Keynes no?

No. M.K. are my middle name and surname. I am just outside the M25 in Southern Bucks

5 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Nik, your website is in your details mate. 

I know. It's everywhere :-) It's even on my coffee cup. Re-did it a couple of years ago and now I am thinking of upgrading it again. Everything moves so fast in this trade, a two year old website becomes obsolete :-)

Edited by Nick M.K.

Just now, Nick M.K. said:

I know. It's everywhere :-) It's even on my coffee cup. Re-did it a couple of years ago and now I am thinking of upgrading it again. Everything moves so fast in this trade, a two year old website becomes obsolete :-)

When I changed to CD5,  I specifically wanted simple and straightforward, not clutter, just easy clear adverts. Fuss free (stock on front page) easy to negotiate. 

It annoys the hell out of me when I look at dealer websites and you have to be Sherlock to find a car...

• Like 1

My AT bill is £1938 inc vat, eBay £210, click dealer website £275 we have average of 30 cars in stock. I do try and maximise my Autotrader adverts by making sure we never have any dead spaces. 

Whilst I do agree AT is expensive in comparison to the rest,  I feel ultimately you need to be on there.

i think if you can manage without it out fair play. 

Ebay/Gumtree contacted me today (voicemail).

I am with AT on a 5+2 package, tempted but what am i likely to pay for EMP/GT for say 12?

£450pm cheaper if longer than 3 month contract 

Cheers James - I will dodge that then (thought it was a couple £)

8 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I am with AT on a 5+2 package, tempted but what am i likely to pay for EMP/GT for say 12?

Gumtree is a waste of time Mark. I’ve tried it a few times over the years. Has been about three years since I last gave it a go though.

Just do an eBay Motors Pro contract for 20  - it’s good value.  They used to do a free trial, but I dunno if they still do.  

You need to work it properly. Let me know when you’re on if you want some pointers.  

5 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Gumtree is a waste of time Mark. I’ve tried it a few times over the years. Has been about three years since I last gave it a go though.

Just do an eBay Motors Pro contract for 20  - it’s good value.  They used to do a free trial, but I dunno if they still do.  

You need to work it properly. Let me know when you’re on if you want some pointers.  

I think they have changed it now. I don't think you sign up for eBay without gumtree, although I may be mistaken.

9 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I am on e bay with good results but refused  bum tree when they tried to push it on me, I got to the point were I said I would cancel e bay if they made me pay more for bumtree,,, I pay just over £200 a month for it and really it’s a no brainier, not just for selling crap either I sold a £30k Maserati from e bay last month... just had to put up with lots of knobs

9 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Over 12 months you should be paying £250+ vat for both, MSP is correct they no longer split the companies its both or neither. 

And as in all things in the motor trade just because it doesnt work for one doesnt mean it will not work for another, depends on your stock profile your target market competition in the area the list goes on, Gumtree works very well for us so long may the other dealers hate it less people on there the better.

4 minutes ago, whitestone679231 said:

I am on e bay with good results but refused  bum tree when they tried to push it on me, I got to the point were I said I would cancel e bay if they made me pay more for bumtree,,, I pay just over £200 a month for it and really it’s a no brainier, not just for selling crap either I sold a £30k Maserati from e bay last month... just had to put up with lots of knobs

Dont know how you managed that i went the other way and cancelled my Gumtree contract as they where pushing ebay onto me it even expired and they wouldnt fold, well done that man, 

2 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Over 12 months you should be paying £250+ vat for both, MSP is correct they no longer split the companies its both or neither. 

And as in all things in the motor trade just because it doesnt work for one doesnt mean it will not work for another, depends on your stock profile your target market competition in the area the list goes on, Gumtree works very well for us so long may the other dealers hate it less people on there the better.

Dont know how you managed that i went the other way and cancelled my Gumtree contract as they where pushing ebay onto me it even expired and they wouldnt fold, well done that man, 

It’s only that price up to 4K by the looks:

https://www.gumtreeforbusiness.co.uk/motors/choose-right-approach-business/

will be £400 quid otherwise (which I guess is OK) or £850 a month for the Premium package, which is too much I think.

I also refused the gumtree bit at last contract renewal without any fuss, but I was talking to the eBay Motors Pro team- not the gumtree side of it. 

I spoke to them yesterday as my contract is for up to 100 cars and is up again in October, and nothing was mentioned-so we’ll see then if anything has changed I guess. 

43 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I think the reason why I got absolutely zero joy from EMP (and I do mean zero, not one sale) is that their algorithm calculates your ranking on their search results by how often you have sold that particular product? In other words if you haven't sold many you won't be high up in the search results? I can't see any reason other than this why it was such a spectacular failure for me. I mean, serious failure. A small handful of emails and "watchers" and that was it. Same advert descriptions as AT, same photos (albeit less of them as you're restricted to 25 on EMP) so virtually the same advert but on a different platform yet zilch. 

I'd love to make it work as you do mate but unless I've overlooked something obvious as to how eBay and their search rankings works, I am stumped at how badly it performed compared to AT.

?

People search by ‘newly listed’ or ‘ending soonest’ or they just search for the type of car they want or maybe they do a ‘by distance’ search.

You can also go for ‘auction only’ listings or ‘accepts offers’ Or ‘buy it now’  

The default setting is ‘best match’. 

If you select the ‘best offer’ option for your listings you appear more readily. 

I wouldn’t be without eBay MP. It sells all sorts of cars for us. 

4 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

?

People search by ‘newly listed’ or ‘ending soonest’ or they just search for the type of car they want or maybe they do a ‘by distance’ search.

You can also go for ‘auction only’ listings or ‘accepts offers’ Or ‘buy it now’  

The default setting is ‘best match’. 

If you select the ‘best offer’ option for your listings you appear more readily. 

I wouldn’t be without eBay MP. It sells all sorts of cars for us. 

Yeah, did all that. Still nothing. 

Oh well, it is what it is. As long as I know I didn't do anything differently to you I can just chalk it up to YMMV. It works for you, fair play.

Sorry, don’t know what your talking about. If someone searches a car on EMP and then sorts by price or location etc. I don’t see there being anything to do with algorithms there - it’s nothing to do with sales as EMP are only classified adverts. I also don’t understand how on earth anyone can’t sell a car on EMP.