Adam laffling

Sticking stock

16 minutes ago, BHM said:

Sorry, don’t know what your talking about. If someone searches a car on EMP and then sorts by price or location etc. I don’t see there being anything to do with algorithms there - it’s nothing to do with sales as EMP are only classified adverts. I also don’t understand how on earth anyone can’t sell a car on EMP.

I'm with you, its a very simple search engine on the classic site (mobile app is rubbish). Its far better than AT as an advertisng medium in every respect IMO, apart from it doesn't attract the same clientele as AT....

37 minutes ago, BHM said:

Sorry, don’t know what your talking about. If someone searches a car on EMP and then sorts by price or location etc. I don’t see there being anything to do with algorithms there - it’s nothing to do with sales as EMP are only classified adverts. I also don’t understand how on earth anyone can’t sell a car on EMP.

If you do a search on say BMW 320i M Sport, on the eBay App, the search results are returned in an order titled “best match”

Best match based on what? On, I suspect, what eBay determine is the best match which is based on? That’s the question.  

And i’d love to know why I couldn’t or can’t sell a car off eBay either. There’s a reason why virtually identical ads on eBay and AT have such different results. 

The increasingly few times I can be bothered to try and put up with the dreadfully cluttered AT site/ap, it shoves numerous sponsored listings and adverts down my throat and only shows about four cars per page in an ever-closing letterbox of actual stuff I want to see.  You then have to select a tiny drop down menu to rearrange it to 'nearest first' or similar.

Even technology haters/silver surfers eventually work it out.  The ordering options on ebay are much clearer so dunno what the issue is.  I'm on ebay all the time though and I click 'newly listed', 'ending soonest' or 'by distance'.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

The increasingly few times I can be bothered to try and put up with the dreadfully cluttered AT site/ap, it shoves numerous sponsored listings and adverts down my throat and only shows about four cars per page in an ever-closing letterbox of actual stuff I want to see.  You then have to select a tiny drop down menu to rearrange it to 'nearest first' or similar.

Even technology haters/silver surfers eventually work it out.  The ordering options on ebay are much clearer so dunno what the issue is.  I'm on ebay all the time though and I click 'newly listed', 'ending soonest' or 'by distance'.  

AT is now click bait in my opinion and the only reason people use it is like using the same hand when going to the toilet,its a habit

im off to get a bidet now

• Like 1

This isn't really for me about whether eBay is nicer than AT to scroll through or not, I am envious of those who manage to use ebay successfully as for some reason, I can't. I don't mind how user friendly it is or how cluttered AT is, all that I care about is enquiries through to sales and AT works for me and eBay doesn't. I'd like to know why of course but I don't think I'm going to get that answer.

IMHO & FWIW

If youre looking at ebay on a desktop you will get all the facilities to search & refine any selections you have to find that pink Z4 with white leather, pro nav & pan roof etc etc the ebay app is sh*te; it has been broken on / off for months over 2018.... its not suitable for many sorts of retail sales, but in its present form not suitable for motor sales. ebay this summer has rebuilt too, to provide "image search" & this is their future! 

no way can you "easily" use the app to refine the selection, the screen size used also affects the search.. as "real estate" on screen is premium, ebay is driven by advert revenue.. so something has to go. In this case I'd guess some classified ad details being hidden - if customers dont see what they want, do they search or move on, lets face it.. ebay advertise other cars next to your advert!

ebay is convinced apps are the future, they spout 60% of all web activity is mobile device (app driven).. It dawned on my a while back, being a desktop user for the business doesnt show what many of your customers are seeing.. hence the stupid questions.. plus we use it regularly on desktop & know how to get the best from it; buyers of cars only buy one car a year at most .. so they are not on it all the time or know their way about/narrow a search..

Its a broken system in my view, for some it works, but in general I fail too understand why views & calls remain low on ebay motors.... trying to be all things to all buyers/one size fits all/ebay need for increased revenues year on year.. hoping your vehicles get thrown up by best match/nearest/lowest price is leaving too much in their hands..

It could be AT is the place to be to sell; its history / brand etc.. but can we afford to be off any bloody outlet that lets buyers find cars..?

21 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

+1. It’s not rocket science, is it? 

I’m in the dark ages but personally I’d say if you can’t see what you want in seconds on EBay (I prefer the phone app personally) then you’re dyslexic. 

38 minutes ago, BHM said:

+1. It’s not rocket science, is it? 

I’m in the dark ages but personally I’d say if you can’t see what you want in seconds on EBay (I prefer the phone app personally) then you’re dyslexic. 

I’m not sure if you’re missing my point, on the app the search results are returned by “best match” whatever that means. 

Of course it’s a doddle to search by price or distance, it’s a very easy interface to use. 

"best match" is exactly that, if you type in E320 CDI SPORT it'll bring them up along with associated parts, you then refine the search as above. It's simple and straightforward.  

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

"best match" is exactly that, if you type in E320 CDI SPORT it'll bring them up along with associated parts, you then refine the search as above. It's simple and straightforward.  

Ok, and how are they ranked, who gets to be on Page one, page two etc? 

4 minutes ago, EPV said:

Ok, and how are they ranked, who gets to be on Page one, page two etc? 

They aren't ranked, its upto you based on your chosen search preferences, either nearest first, lowest price, BIN, auction etc etc......

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

They aren't ranked, its upto you based on your chosen search preferences, either nearest first, lowest price, BIN, auction etc etc......

I think I’m not explaining myself or not getting what you’re saying. 

The results are returned by best match as a default. You scroll through the results, you’ll see the first advert, then the second, then the third and so on. Forget re-filtering based on price or distance that’s not what I’m talking about  

Someone or something has to decide which advert is shown first, second, third and so on as a default under best match. I don’t know what that something or someone is. 

• Like 1

Best match is best match ie type in E320 CDI SPORT and any listing with that as an exact title will get listed first rather than a listing with say the title CDI SPORT,

I think what you mean is if every listing as the exact same title then what then decides the order, I would assume that if that was the case it would be the newest ad with that exact title as like a secondary filter system that you cannot control.

52 minutes ago, EPV said:

I think I’m not explaining myself or not getting what you’re saying. 

The results are returned by best match as a default. You scroll through the results, you’ll see the first advert, then the second, then the third and so on. Forget re-filtering based on price or distance that’s not what I’m talking about  

Someone or something has to decide which advert is shown first, second, third and so on as a default under best match. I don’t know what that something or someone is. 

Tend to agree, however it will not be an individual.. its an algorithm; quite how it works for motor sales is beyond me.. as most will enter, make model colour and graze the results from there.. maybe narrow to disance/miles thereafter.... so I would rather EMP presents this type of option to buyers as they come to the site page, perhaps then.. that pink z4 with white leather and a towbar will be found, seen and called about!

Right now I am not convinced the ebay retail model translates across to motors too well, but thats me.. Some undoubtedly are getting success with it.. the web is full of reported issues with ebay search broken/pictures missing/missing links/slow sales if you search it out.. many may refer to the auction site, however its this same computer that it being used to support and sell vehicles... and they are trying to worm gumtree in at the back of this.. ebay will need to moneytise gumtree soon enough.

Its ROI here for us with cars to sell, ebay just wants your fees.. worth checking what your customers can see and if they contact you... on different devices too.. 

I tried image search for some non motoring bits last week on google, I saw what I thought I was looking for, the image was one from ebay found by google, clicked it and BINGO.. didnt exist, this happened a few more times/link broken, not all though.... it should take you through to an item for sale... image match sales is their latest gimmick, one I believe they have just admitted is flawed and given ebay sellers refunds on due to cocked up sales/lost images etc etc..

Who knows if its affecting vehicles sales, but hey; if we go back to OP.. some are getting success and some not.. and quite a few here across a few threads say calls in/visits on ebay are quiet, it may just be same across all as its summer holidays and people are now pillar box spotting etc.

We are all used to web based searching of one form or another, so we are used to it.. just think about billy and the questions he asks sometimes.. how do they get to use an app effectively?

Its nice to have a handle and learn what works well for your own situation and how to tweak it to best advantage, with these web clowns, its what THEY decide works for you, and when.. the latest "image match" gimmick isnt working so well, but then that begs a question has it affected the rest of the ebay search engine/site functions as a result..?

Who knows ? as is the usual ffffing answer/result when your PC/App/8 plus cocks up..

Be nice to know though :huh: