Sign in to follow this  
MrC

Bangernomics

1 minute ago, met said:

I thought I'd update

Early Christmas present. I couldn't resist updating my smoker to a 56 plate Focus ghia 1.8tdci, one lady owner for all but 1yr of its life. Full main dealer history. 95k. Had a clutch. Everything works. Couple of hundred quid.

Since yesterday and i've done about 300 miles in it without issue.  Happy diesel days, even in London!:D

3 hours ago, met said:

I thought I'd update

Early Christmas present. I couldn't resist updating my smoker to a 56 plate Focus ghia 1.8tdci, one lady owner for all but 1yr of its life. Full main dealer history. 95k. Had a clutch. Everything works. Couple of hundred quid.

Since yesterday and i've done about 300 miles in it without issue.  Happy diesel days, even in London!:D

First rule of Bangernomics Run it in to the ground, NEVER wash it or spend any money on it apart from fuel and its MOT

15 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

HELP! :D

Last night, after it was sitting for a few hours it refused to start. It started and ran for about 5 seconds then cut out. If you give it a good long crank it will catch and die straight away. It is my front garden at the moment and I only have a basic code reader which tells me no codes. Considering the miles it's done and in all sorts of traffic, stop start and motorway I'd have expected to notice a fault. It pulled like a train, idle happily in traffic, no lights, no noises, no smoke.

12 hours ago, MrC said:

First rule of Bangernomics Run it in to the ground, NEVER wash it or spend any money on it apart from fuel and its MOT

First rule of Bangernomics. Never say how good it is!!!

Fuel filter would be my first port of call. But until you can get a proper code reader you will just be playing parts darts.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

First rule of Bangernomics. Never say how good it is!!!

Fuel filter would be my first port of call. But until you can get a proper code reader you will just be playing parts darts.

I know, that'll teach me:)

2 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Out of fuel ?????????????????:D

It shows all the symptoms, doesn't it. :D

But dont you all hate the bangers when the heaters dont provide adequate heat or there is that smell coming from them... They're dying... And you're freezing your bollocks off... Come on admit it you all say "wish i came in a newer car"....

:lol:

4 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Out of fuel ?????????????????:D

Winner winner, chicken dinner. But, still have to fix the fuel gauge sender:(

1 hour ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

But dont you all hate the bangers when the heaters dont provide adequate heat or there is that smell coming from them... They're dying... And you're freezing your bollocks off... Come on admit it you all say "wish i came in a newer car"....

This is a new car for me! :DBut I can still throw it away when it dies and all I've lost is the same money as a good night out. I could be looking at £30k of German stuff in which case I'd be slashing my wrists. Please don't tell me new cars never go wrong.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

my heater works in my smoker,but there is a strange smell :lol: combination of engine fumes, petrol, and burnt plastic, after 3 mile you get high :D

A lovely wee Audi A2 1.4 Tdi in crystal Blue needing a rear door latch 350gbp px smoked it for last 3 year 30 a year tax 02 plate still looks mint 144k also refurbished the alloys love the wee thing and will never die !

Edited by Ek cars

3 hours ago, met said:

Winner winner, chicken dinner. But, still have to fix the fuel gauge sender:(

This is a new car for me! :DBut I can still throw it away when it dies and all I've lost is the same money as a good night out. I could be looking at £30k of German stuff in which case I'd be slashing my wrists. Please don't tell me new cars never go wrong.:rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about going wrong i was talking about comfort levels... Older cars do have shit heaters... And the cars dont get decent hot air (or even cold air in summer)

I am all for being in a comfortable environment as often as possible rather than suffer in the shitty winter colds we have here...all just to save a few quid...

Reminds me of a consultant we used to have at a council... On £800 per day for 20 months.... Yet he drove a shitty blue fiesta on a 09 or 11 plate. Funny thing was his heater was always on as there was an issue...and it was on full blast. He was 6ft 2 so driving a banger like that was uncomfortable. At least get yourself a Mondeo if not a Jag!

He even used to moan that coffee onboard an easyjet flight costs a lot of money so he buys his at the airport..yeah you'd think with £800 per day he would go first class...^_^

Too many folks want to save every penny... Always had the motto "live a comfortable life in every aspect"

18 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Too many folks want to save every penny... Always had the motto "live a comfortable life in every aspect"

+1

You can't take it with you when you go tits up !!

And I'm buggered if I'm leaving it all here for everyone to argue over ;)

I bet if I carked it next week all the idiots in my family will be fighting over the house and the "new" (2017) MB, yet there is more money sat in the 2 tool boxes and the shelves in the workshop :lol:

• Like 1

I don't drive a smoker to save money, but because it's more practical. I'm not interested in buying a chavvy luxury car to impress the great unwashed, done that been there.

I don't sit in a room warming my hands around a candle? My 'treats' and indulgences are not car related.

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, met said:

I don't drive a smoker to save money, but because it's more practical. I'm not interested in buying a chavvy luxury car to impress the great unwashed, done that been there.

I don't sit in a room warming my hands around a candle? My 'treats' and indulgences are not car related.

well said, merry xmas ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, met said:

I know a guy with a big pitch who lives in a nice neighbourhood with the best house in the street.No X5 or RR sport crap for him,he uses the recovery truck ( it’s a good one) and parks it on his drive.Mind you,I think he does this on purpose to annoy his next door neighbour who is a pain having attained the status of president of a local golf club.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

+1

You can't take it with you when you go tits up !!

And I'm buggered if I'm leaving it all here for everyone to argue over ;)

I bet if I carked it next week all the idiots in my family will be fighting over the house and the "new" (2017) MB, yet there is more money sat in the 2 tool boxes and the shelves in the workshop :lol:

The big elephant in the room is "retirement age" and pensions.

People are too fussed on having an easy retirement...they live tightly now... Fact is you wont enjoy retirement because you will be limited due to shit health and health related problems.

Retirement age is constantly increased and people dont understand retirement is just before death lol... And some people never make it to retirement anyway. Its not like you're going to live to 200...

There is no wealth without health

There can be health without wealth

:P 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

The big elephant in the room is "retirement age" and pensions.

People are too fussed on having an easy retirement...they live tightly now... Fact is you wont enjoy retirement because you will be limited due to shit health and health related problems.

Retirement age is constantly increased and people dont understand retirement is just before death lol... And some people never make it to retirement anyway. Its not like you're going to live to 200...

There is no wealth without health

There can be health without wealth

:P 

I've got two parents both in their late 80s, healthy all their lives. Non smokers, non drinkers and healthy eaters. My mum has just gone into a care home due to dementia, it's an awful condition. She was hugely proud of her intelligence and if not for the war interrupting her education could well have been a doctor. But sadly is a sick lady trapped. My dad (retired at 65) after twenty years of retirement is down for the endless cycle of hip and knee replacement (do you know they do a hip replacement under a local anasthetic while you are conscious?). They have ravaged he's savings and he's had to sign over half the house when it is sold to fund her care.

When you are young you imagine retirement will be for a couple of years until you die, but death is long as slow starting when you are about 50. Personally, I hope my retirement is short and sweet!

Edited by met

1 hour ago, met said:

I've got two parents both in their late 80s, healthy all their lives. Non smokers, non drinkers and healthy eaters. My mum has just gone into a care home due to dementia, it's an awful condition. She was hugely proud of her intelligence and if not for the war interrupting her education could well have been a doctor. But sadly is a sick lady trapped. My dad (retired at 65) after twenty years of retirement is down for the endless cycle of hip and knee replacement (do you know they do a hip replacement under a local anasthetic while you are conscious?). They have ravaged he's savings and he's had to sign over half the house when it is sold to fund her care.

When you are young you imagine retirement will be for a couple of years until you die, but death is long as slow starting when you are about 50. Personally, I hope my retirement is short and sweet!

Yes but every one is different. My grandparents lived to 80s and 90s and my dad didnt even get to mid 50s...

Genetics dont always play a huge part in longevity

“There is no wealth without health”

”There can be health without wealth “

“enjoy while we can” 

My random non starting appears to have settled down to whenever the fuel level drops close to a quarter tank. Restarting involves emptying five litrs of diesel into to tank and cranking til she fires. i'm wondering if this is either caused by a small vac leak aggrevated by the low fuel condition or failing tank lift pump?

Edited by met

2 hours ago, met said:

My random non starting appears to have settled down to whenever the fuel level drops close to a quarter tank. Restarting involves emptying five litrs of diesel into to tank and cranking til she fires. i'm wondering if this is either caused by a small vac leak aggrevated by the low fuel condition or failing tank lift pump?

There is a small "fill hole" in the bottom of the Fuel Tank Swirl Pot, they get clogged by a tiny bit of shit, then fuel starvation....................

Of course when it is over 1/4 tank it simply pours fuel over the top of the Swirl Pot, no issues ;)

Do not ask me how I found that out !!

Oh, btw, you can replace that Fuel Sender while your at it, ;) could be a damaged bit of that that's blocking your orifice :D