Sign in to follow this  
MrC

Bangernomics

Hands up if you smoke around in an old shitter.

Was just reminiscing about an 1999 406 HDI I had about 6 years or so ago. Took it in px and it stood me at the price of the 5 month tax disc that was in the window.

Plan was to run it till it refused to go any further without spending a penny on repairs, never washed it, never locked it.

I loved that car, it was so comfortable and went forever on £10. Mrs C hated it with a passion and im sure it was the talk of the neighbourhood for the wrong reasons.

Was genuinely gutted when it finally died. The radiator sprung a leak, cracked a few eggs in to the expansion tank which seemed to keep it limping on for a few weeks. Had to carry many litres of water but the day finally came when it had to go. Scrap man crossed my palm with £150.

Thats Bangernomics at its best. I do still have a soft spot for a shitter. I don't really have much interest in cars. My current smoker is a Caddy van, its a bit blinged for work purposes but certainly nothing fancy.

• Like 1

dont use it day to day as I have a lengthy commute and wouldnt trust it for long, but I do have a 53 fiesta diesel I took in swap nearly 3 years ago that I use as my 'dump car' at the MOT station, or for going to the tip. Never washed it, it hasnt needed much each MOT and it has proved a useful parts bin for parcel shelf, mirrors etc. and only £30 road tax! Always smile when it starts and leaves a plume of smoke behind it....

I dont really like new cars anymore, but theres a bit of sentiment left for this one yet

I'm with you. Sadly, the cars I sell easily are of no interest to me other than profit. Cars I'm love are now way too valuable and inappropriate to 'smoke' around in. So I amuse myself by using whatever is safe and comfortable and stands me in the least!

Bangernomics, I'm in!

PS: Although if my present old Focus requires new o2 sensors it will have to go:(

Absolutely.  Me too.  Can't be in this game long term and still like any of the junk.  (I'm sure there's exceptions to the rule and my wife just says I'm miserable).

The only dodge was if I was going back to the car and there was a hottie walking past then I would walk past the 406 as if it wasn't mine. :lol:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrC said:

The only dodge was if I was going back to the car and there was a hottie walking past then I would walk past the 406 as if it wasn't mine. :lol:

:lol::lol:

3 hours ago, tradex said:

200k Scenic is the transport of choice at the moment 

I feel lucky...mines only on 53K with the same speedo it had from the factory!

4 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

Absolutely.  Me too.  Can't be in this game long term and still like any of the junk.  (I'm sure there's exceptions to the rule and my wife just says I'm miserable).

Exception here, i dont drink smoke and often hit 70 hours a week, so i have to have some luxury in my life and cars are just that. 

33 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Exception here, i dont drink smoke and often hit 70 hours a week, so i have to have some luxury in my life and cars are just that. 

I don't drink or smoke either but my 'luxuries' are not motoring related:)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, met said:

I don't drink or smoke either but my 'luxuries' are not motoring related:)

I am to old for all that carnage :blink:

• Like 1

Previous Cat C Freelander td4 auto HSE, surprisingly comfy and economical but every switch is hit and miss whether what ever it operates works or not....although its out the door tomorrow, fetched decent money on ebay and a farmer is taking it. 

Not sure what the next shitter will be will have to see whats got fuel and mot

No car at all now, brought an old 2003 BMW R1150RS ( UGLY AS SIN ) to use when needed and it allows me another parking space.

• Like 1

not as ugly as my GSXF :) ....good point tho! might as well use it during the summer and gain a space

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Ahh, a Mr Blobby!

Bloody (blobby) good bikes though, very underated with bombproof oil boiler mill.

Big miles? ABS probs?

Picked it up last week Tradex, 2003, 32,000 miles and touch wood the ABS seems ok. I actually like riding the old thing.

Also added benefit is it has gone on my Traders policy.

I've just found out how much a skip costs to hire, and with that in mind, the next 'smoker' may be a van?

1 hour ago, met said:

I've just found out how much a skip costs to hire, and with that in mind, the next 'smoker' may be a van?

car tax too much for my money and use

just use a cheap road tax smoking dog and keep the back seats down

1 hour ago, chief runnin bee said:

car tax too much for my money and use

just use a cheap road tax smoking dog and keep the back seats down

Point taken, but grass covered in fox piss stinks out the interior worse than fag smoke

Got a 56 clio diesel, 152k, doesn't fail to start and goes forever on a tenner....... Oh and its got a fully working sliding sunroof....... Actually drives really well too. Not ashamed to admit i enjoy running around in it. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dealer said:

Got a 56 clio diesel, 152k, doesn't fail to start and goes forever on a tenner....... Oh and its got a fully working sliding sunroof....... Actually drives really well too. Not ashamed to admit i enjoy running around in it. 

It's not a proper clio unless it's got gaffer tape around the sunroof:lol:

• Like 1

2005 Astra 1.7 CDti Van 166k on it never flickers, I think its an Isuzu engine? I love an old Vauxhall diesel flat as a fart but owes me fk all.

Its got heated front leather seats from a Vauxhall Calibra in it.... LUXURY! (we used to dream of living int shoe box int middle of rooooad!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

2005 Astra 1.7 CDti Van 166k on it never flickers, I think its an Isuzu engine? I love an old Vauxhall diesel flat as a fart but owes me fk all.

Its got heated front leather seats from a Vauxhall Calibra in it.... LUXURY! (we used to dream of living int shoe box int middle of rooooad!)

Love it... 

Got a choice:

Currently, 55 plate Cooper which I have more or less given up selling (put price up)

Got an 05 Passat Trendline TDI (taken in chop yesterday) 144k (arrives Saturday)

RR Sport done 158k but still looks and drives beautifully (my tenth one, so I know they're a money pit)

Mini is taxed and registered in my name but it isn't very manly (purple) - Passat would make a great smoker but the RRS keeps calling me.

I'm currently hovering between a 57 Plate Renault Grand Scenic (Luxury :lol:) and a 2008 5dr Corsa D.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tradex said:

I looked at adding bikes to our policy (I've 6 at last count) but was an extra 650 quid, cheaper to go thru a civilian insurance multiple policy. 

A low miles rubber cow with fully functioning ABS is a rare old thingB)B)B)

Wow, 6 bikes, what have you got ?. I have had a love affair with 2 wheels all my life. Last bike a 2016 GSXR1000 and now to the BMW. My son wouldn't talk to me when I pulled up on it, Ha Ha.

The sad thing is I my prefer riding the old BM to any of the sports bikes I have owned over the years.

I really must be getting old,

I thought I'd update

Early Christmas present. I couldn't resist updating my smoker to a 56 plate Focus ghia 1.8tdci, one lady owner for all but 1yr of its life. Full main dealer history. 95k. Had a clutch. Everything works. Couple of hundred quid.

Since yesterday and i've done about 300 miles in it without issue.  Happy diesel days, even in London!:D