Sign in to follow this  
MrC

Bangernomics

48 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

There is a small "fill hole" in the bottom of the Fuel Tank Swirl Pot, they get clogged by a tiny bit of shit, then fuel starvation....................

Of course when it is over 1/4 tank it simply pours fuel over the top of the Swirl Pot, no issues ;)

Do not ask me how I found that out !!

Oh, btw, you can replace that Fuel Sender while your at it, ;) could be a damaged bit of that that's blocking your orifice :D

Easiest way to get the sender out?

42 minutes ago, met said:

Easiest way to get the sender out?

flip car on its roof it would seem:lol:

1 hour ago, boring dave said:

flip car on its roof it would seem:lol:

Option 1?:D

13 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Drop the tank out ;) 

ok thanks Dave

On 31/01/2019 at 3:31 PM, Dave2302 said:

Drop the tank out ;) 

On a scale of 1 to 10 how confident are you I have a lift pump at all. I've had someone here today adament that no mk2 focus had lift pumps, and that the main fuel pump does all the work?

1 minute ago, tradex said:

I'm open to comments that I'm wrong, but I'm 99% sure that:-

Petrol has fuel pump with integrated fuel level sensor.

Diesel has fuel level sensor only, which is why they can be fucka to start after a fuel filter change, even with the filter pre-fueled....had to tow start them before, same as Mondeo of same era.

Bit of a shame, because a faulty lift pump would have solved my problems. Put's me back to square one with the weird starting issue?

Yes, LOVE a cheap runner! Although the JimmyGlen 'Betsie' has evolved over the years.

Back in the 80/early90s is was a Volvo 240 Estate Car 'Betsie I'

90s and into the 00s we had a Carina E 2.0d (non-turbo), scrapped with 247k and 3 clutches later 'Betsie II'

2006 - 2011 VW Passat 1.8T Sport I bought for 800quid, ran for 5years and sold for 1995 'Betsie II'

2011 - 2012 Honda Integra Type R. took in part-ex for 700 and rebuilt to a show piece. Was too small in the end and sold for a tidy profit. 'Betsie III'

2012 - Now Audi A4 Avant 2.5TDI Quattro manual. Current running costs over 7years add up to 5k, but its mint and a keeper for ever! 'Bestie IV'

3 hours ago, tradex said:

hmm, only when cold new fuel filter and filter O rings, check the hose connections and if unsure replace.

Could also be worn injectors leaking too much fuel off to the backleak rail?

Get your scanner on it and read the live data back, taking note of the fuel rail pressure.

All of the above assumes your fuel level sensor is correct, you can read the output back at the tank and there will be reference for ohms equals the correct amount of fuel. Just been thru this on a Pug that came in chop, never got to the bottom of it though, tank level read off the sensor said 3/4 full so was working but the dash read empty, even with a spare set of clocks across it.....blocked it.

Resistance verses gauge reading
307 Full (60 litres gross) 56Ω
½ 160Ω
Empty (1 litre gross) 305Ω

empt.jpg

More obscure problems, are the fuel pipes that run under the car sound, not been jacked up (insert any other damage methiod) and kinked?

But, your problems scream fuel level to me, the weight of the head will have fuck all effect on the fuel system/pipes per se.

.......or the fuel pick up some how isn't collecting from the bottom of the tank anymore, which is what Dave was alluding too.

I should add that I've sold hundreds of Focii, never once have I had an issue with fuel level.

Petrol sender/pump access is from under rear seat, and then a circular cover, diesels never been there, no need, no scavenger pump to go wrong.

Thanks  for alll that, very helpful. I was originallly under the impression that regardless what that fuel gauge said it was empty, which explains why dropping a gallon of fuel in would fire it right up. But, on driving to the petrol station, there is clearly fuel in there as I can brim the tank for £40?

On 02/02/2019 at 2:02 PM, met said:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how confident are you I have a lift pump at all. I've had someone here today adament that no mk2 focus had lift pumps, and that the main fuel pump does all the work?

Hi,

I didn't say it had a lift pump, I said it had a blockage in the small hole that feeds the Swirl Pot, from which the Fuel Pump, (wherever the fuck that actually is), draws fuel.

It's the fact that it's fine when 1/4 + tank full that gives it away, I've had it on several Vehicles now, some with In Tank Lift Pumps and some without, the first one was a 300TDI Disco I had years ago, and took me ages to figure out, now, with that symptom it's the first place I'd look ;) 

21 hours ago, met said:

.......or the fuel pick up some how isn't collecting from the bottom of the tank anymore, which is what Dave was alluding too.

This /\ /\ /\ 

I just see someone says there is a hatch under the seat, if so that makes it even easier to check for shite in the swirl pot ;)

These days with Lift and Transmission Jack I never bother removing seats / carpet etc to check, i just support the tank with Trans Jack and drop it down 10 mins usually, perhaps an extra half hour if a bolt breaks and needs a drill, or a metal pipe repair etc on an old rust bucket ;) 

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 4:34 PM, Dave2302 said:

Hi,

I didn't say it had a lift pump, I said it had a blockage in the small hole that feeds the Swirl Pot, from which the Fuel Pump, (wherever the fuck that actually is), draws fuel.

It's the fact that it's fine when 1/4 + tank full that gives it away, I've had it on several Vehicles now, some with In Tank Lift Pumps and some without, the first one was a 300TDI Disco I had years ago, and took me ages to figure out, now, with that symptom it's the first place I'd look ;) 

This /\ /\ /\ 

I just see someone says there is a hatch under the seat, if so that makes it even easier to check for shite in the swirl pot ;)

These days with Lift and Transmission Jack I never bother removing seats / carpet etc to check, i just support the tank with Trans Jack and drop it down 10 mins usually, perhaps an extra half hour if a bolt breaks and needs a drill, or a metal pipe repair etc on an old rust bucket ;) 

Thanks for all your help and advice Dave.

1 hour ago, met said:

Thanks for all your help and advice Dave.

No proberlermo ;)

Was that the trouble ??

18 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

No proberlermo ;)

Was that the trouble ??

Well thanks to you i've pretty much narrowed down the issue. But being my daily driver it is now at the back of a queue of other cars!