SK1John

BCA bid rigging??

Has anybody noticed recently more than ever, the auctioneers are running bids up on cars that are so called ‘fetching over CAP’ so easily, but then are often re lotted on another sale or buy it now by that evening? I have cars for sale that are often apparently fetching more at auction, why are dealers not buying from me and receiving a warranty? (Haha)

How many times can this be a genuine mistake? If it’s cancelled by the buyer same day why can’t we do that? If it was rejected due to mechanical issues then surely that would reflect in the new assured report? And yes, they are re lotted by the same vendor… So obviously they didn’t get a bid. 

Whoever regulates BCA surely knows about this, it’s been happening for years but now it’s so obvious and frequent now. 

No wonder they’ve never allowed videoing in the hall. How long till people gather evidence online.

Suppose this is the power of the big entities, who are we to moan :lol:

The only true measure is a free market, ie no-reserve bidding. Bid rigging is simply an underhand way to run a reserve auction, which is not a free market.

Whether its illegal or not, I don't know, but I do know "the wall" has bought a lot of cars!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SK1John said:

who are we to moan :lol:

We are quite simply no one put up or shut up would be there answer. 

Its a game of numbers we used to have over a week 100 cars to view and be lucky if we bought ten now its more like 150 cars and be lucky to get 5 

Running bids off the wall has been going for ever as we all know . 

Its not an illegal practise to run bids up , BUT only to reserve , after reserve its a free mkt , 

the problem we have of course is WHO sets the reserve price , BCA or the Vendor . 

If you look at the CAP price on one car SAY a Ford Fiesta Zetec S 15 plate 35,000 miles , find one on one vendor and the same car on another vendor and CAP is weirdly a different price . Plus both are different to my CAP live valuation listings, amazing hey .

Not only do all auction fiddle the Reserves , They also fiddle CAP prices too . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

They also fiddle CAP prices too

Definitely. This is obvious when the greedy bastards drop something on their keyboard whilst fiddling the figures & they book a 10yr old Audi A3 at £53400 :lol:

• Haha 1

Been going on for years, shouldn't happen, but it does, pulled an auctioneer off the stand around 20 years ago. I will buy if I have to through BCA, but won't sell through them, as in my opinion with webuyanycar and CINCH they are competitors, plus all I hear is negative view towards them currently. 

• Like 1

BCA make it obvious, if you turn your speakers up you can blatantly hear the auctioneer clicking the bids up with his mouse but as already said what can we do? 

They're definitely using their own stock (UKCGR, Cazoo etc) to price the market aswell as on quiet days they’re own stock always seams to fetch more than other vendors. 

• Like 2

I'd like to know who is paying the ridiculous prices for the cars... fook knows where they are going with them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Regan said:

I'd like to know who is paying the ridiculous prices for the cars... fook knows where they are going with them.

theres more re entries now than nasa made

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, It's me said:

theres more re entries now than nasa made

:lol: They’re running the knickers off everything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BHM said:

:lol: They’re running the knickers off everything.

just watched an i10 make 1k above book , had a customer for it and BCA want more than i can buy one off AT retail for :o 

Bet the little beggar comes back , Just rang BCA to ask if its sold , apparently its got a provisional bid on it so might appear back "YEA ooh look flying pigs "

• Like 1

As far as I understand, the cap clean figure is if the car is in good condition, has 2 keys, paper work etc I'm guessing they don't adjust the CAP figure based on the grade of the car? As some of the cap figures agaisnt some of the vehicles is just stupid!

3 hours ago, LSP Vehicles said:

As far as I understand, the cap clean figure is if the car is in good condition, has 2 keys, paper work etc I'm guessing they don't adjust the CAP figure based on the grade of the car? As some of the cap figures agaisnt some of the vehicles is just stupid!

Correct, they don’t adjust them for total loss cars either. 

Do you know that if you buy a car that is knocked down to you 'provisional' that you are at liberty to remove your bid at any time ? 

Might be teaching some of you to suck eggs but that info could be useful to newbys in the game .  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Webuycars said:

Do you know that if you buy a car that is knocked down to you 'provisional' that you are at liberty to remove your bid at any time ? 

Might be teaching some of you to suck eggs but that info could be useful to newbys in the game .  

I certainly didn't! So if you win at provisional, you can refuse it? How do you go about doing that?

22 hours ago, Lakeside said:

Correct, they don’t adjust them for total loss cars either. 

I a tually dropped them some feedback on their app regarding some clarity on CAP pricing response below:

" The Cap Prices are based on what vehicles with similar spec, Mileage and condition have sold for in the auctions over the past 30 days.

I have passed your feedback on to our development team and this will help us to improve our service in the future."

So it seem the CAP pricing response any actually book CAP, it's their adopted own pricing! Glad I've learned that though. What annoys me is when a battered or total loss vehicle comes up that isn't making money the auctioneer always says "come on guys, books at XXX" now that is misleading! Especially for newbies.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Webuycars said:

Provisional tends to be for underpriced cars, not 1k over what they fetch on the trader :lol::lol:

14 hours ago, LSP Vehicles said:

I certainly didn't! So if you win at provisional, you can refuse it? How do you go about doing that?

I a tually dropped them some feedback on their app regarding some clarity on CAP pricing response below:

" The Cap Prices are based on what vehicles with similar spec, Mileage and condition have sold for in the auctions over the past 30 days.

I have passed your feedback on to our development team and this will help us to improve our service in the future."

So it seem the CAP pricing response any actually book CAP, it's their adopted own pricing! Glad I've learned that though. What annoys me is when a battered or total loss vehicle comes up that isn't making money the auctioneer always says "come on guys, books at XXX" now that is misleading! Especially for newbies.

Just go to the office and say take me off that car , simple 

Yes I must admit about 25 years ago I didn't realise you can drop your provisional bid - basically I bid on what I thought was an ex lease 1 owner Merc. My provisional bid was declined but an hour later I was told the trader had accepted it!! I was like, what the trader?? I thought it's direct from Leaseplan but it was actually bought from a Leaseplan line from a different BCA a few weeks earlier and re-entered! This was years before BCA did online bidding so it was much harder to keep track of which cars were be offered where and how many times they've been through before, unless you attended every sale in person.

So I naturally thought there must be a problem with it and said I don't want it and they said that's fine we can take you off it as it was a provisional bid. Typically, some other dealer bought the car and sold it for £2k more within a couple of weeks!

Edited by MJG50

17 hours ago, Webuycars said:

Just go to the office and say take me off that car , simple 

That’s right, and the auction house will be more than happy to remove the high bids left, right & centre then repeatedly tell vendors the bidder has backed out of the deal. Not.

To me this sounds like an ideal way to become known as a cunt & eventually get your account suspended.

Perhaps it’s just me but, assuming nothings changed with the car, what sort of trader bids on cars then cocks on their side of the bargain?

6 hours ago, BHM said:

That’s right, and the auction house will be more than happy to remove the high bids left, right & centre then repeatedly tell vendors the bidder has backed out of the deal. Not.

To me this sounds like an ideal way to become known as a cunt & eventually get your account suspended.

Perhaps it’s just me but, assuming nothings changed with the car, what sort of trader bids on cars then cocks on their side of the bargain?

Agreed, I only bid on a car if I want it. The only time’s I’ve ever wanted to back out was after I’ve collected it and realised it’s a lemon, but obviously to late by that point! 

Edited by Lakeside

Manheim is no different really - seems to be the typical behaviour from all these auction houses 

Is nobody else getting sick of this??

I have a half a dozen cars on watch at BCA that are supposedly selling twice a week with lots of bids over CAP, but then appear back on my watchlist (sometimes on a high buy it now), only to be relotted, rinse & repeat.

How can they manipulate the market so much? 

Who regulates these clowns? How do they get away with it.

I’m going to start screen recording evidence, hopefully one day there will be somebody to forward it to. 

It’s another way of keeping Cap prices up.

artificially “sell” the car at a higher price numerous times then finally let it actually sell at a lower price will give a higher average.

There has to be a law against this surely. IF THERE IS PROOF that is!

There are laws for every other form of cheating. Be that match fixing or coughing to the correct answers in studio on 'Who Wants To Be a Millionaire'

Its time it stopped, and time we started making profit from cars, not BCA and the sellers taking all the pie