Halfpenny

MG's - Problems..?

I am still on holiday enjoying 30 degree sunshine but had an online chat with my business partner last night.

We recently sold a one owner 2017 MG (ZS model I believe). 7k miles on it. I am pretty sure this is the first Chinese designed MG we've sold (i.e. not a reworked Rover).

Anyway, it is causing lots of grief apparently. Customer has been back almost every other day. It is starting and driving but there are warning lights popping up (engine, ABS, traction). Couple of sensors (crank and ABS I believe) replaced FOC by dealer. But still getting faults. Now audio system is not working properly!

My partner been to talk to dealer and they have said there are 'bugs in the software' and they are awaiting fixes and updates!  Can this be true? The customer has been patient but not happy and I think we will need to refund. Have just been unlucky or is this another to put on the 'no buy' list?

Could it be coronavirus?

I’ll shut the door on the way out.

15 minutes ago, metcars said:

Could it be coronavirus?

I’ll shut the door on the way out.

No, the Corona was very reliable. The virus is spreading just as reliably unfortunately. 

Is it not under manufacturer warranty still?  

They do look like they’re made of cheese, but I know nothing about them. Are they based on some other brand’s old tech?

7 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Is it not under manufacturer warranty still?  

They do look like they’re made of cheese, but I know nothing about them. Are they based on some other brand’s old tech?

Yes. It is under warranty and the dealer has tried to be helpful but are basically saying the thing is buggy and got software problems. They are waiting for a fix from the company (MG) which is worrying for a 2017 model. We sold it to the customer and as things stand it is not fit for purpose so we are responsible and looks like we'll have to refund.

I think it is a Chinese design and not related to previous MGs which were slightly reworked Rovers. Has a 1.5 engine. I gather they have an EV version of it. I think that would be something to stay clear of!

I remember MG had  software issues in the past, ended up with loads of those MG6 saloons getting scrapped, but you'd think they'd have caught up by now. Gonna be a world of pain when all those electric ZS ones get to a year old and start throwing a paddy.

How many do MG sell per year? About 4 dozen? I very very rarely see one & even if I pass MG showrooms half of them are filled with more traditional fare.

A distant neighbour does own one, however they’re less car-savvy & brand aware than me which is saying something.

I know you sold it but thankfully  its manufacturer warranty........................   do your customer not understand there issue is with the manufacturer as its less than 3 yrs old ??

Sorry I can't help, but back in the day after they were raped by the pheonix four, boy did I shift some MG's, no doubt many did. The ZR's in particular were like shelling peas.

I've often looked at the newer ones ( probably from a nostalgia point of view) and apart from the badge, there is nothing about them that shouts 'MG' and haven't bothered with them, the four door saloon model is particularly a horrible piece of work.

No doubt they still have a following which is good, but I can't help think the designers at the new MG have missed a trick. 

Anyway, the MG SVR, what a car that was, at I time when I actually liked cars rather than hated the fecking things.

I'd be assisting in their camp whilst pointing them firmly in the direction of the main dealer.

4 hours ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

I know you sold it but thankfully  its manufacturer warranty........................   do your customer not understand there issue is with the manufacturer as its less than 3 yrs old ??

That's not correct though is it? The customer entered into a contract with us, not the manufacturer. Selling a car which is under warranty is not a 'get out of jail free' card.  The manufacturer's agent cannot resolve the faults at the moment so the customer is driving his kids around in a car that potentially had no ABS/ESC - so we are on the hook for that.

3 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

I'd be assisting in their camp whilst pointing them firmly in the direction of the main dealer.

Nice idea but that's not how it works (as any half-intelligent customer will find out after 10 minutes on Google). The customer has no contract with the main dealer and the warranty is in addition to CRA 2015.  CRA comes back to us. We have been liaising with the MG dealer but they are struggling. I think we are now looking at money back due to a fault within 30 days. Sometimes its just best to put your hands up.

Apparently MG sold just 350 of these cars in 2017 so not a common sight!  It seems they are a bit of an unfinished project.... Thank God we didn't pay much for it!

24 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

well said hp

theres no long term solution other than buying the thing back and blocking it to some other trader fool:P to get their leg in it

LOL yes!  Its not a bad looking motor actually so some shrewd trader will snap it up for sure! :D

On 2/24/2020 at 11:09 PM, Halfpenny said:

I am still on holiday enjoying 30 degree sunshine but had an online chat with my business partner last night.

We recently sold a one owner 2017 MG (ZS model I believe). 7k miles on it. I am pretty sure this is the first Chinese designed MG we've sold (i.e. not a reworked Rover).

Anyway, it is causing lots of grief apparently. Customer has been back almost every other day. It is starting and driving but there are warning lights popping up (engine, ABS, traction). Couple of sensors (crank and ABS I believe) replaced FOC by dealer. But still getting faults. Now audio system is not working properly!

My partner been to talk to dealer and they have said there are 'bugs in the software' and they are awaiting fixes and updates!  Can this be true? The customer has been patient but not happy and I think we will need to refund. Have just been unlucky or is this another to put on the 'no buy' list?

I’m starting a technician next week that is coming from our local MG dealer. I’ll quiz him and get back to you HP if you like? 
He did say a while ago they are doing timing chains daily on low mileage nearly new cars :wacko:

2 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

That's not correct though is it? The customer entered into a contract with us, not the manufacturer. Selling a car which is under warranty is not a 'get out of jail free' card.  The manufacturer's agent cannot resolve the faults at the moment so the customer is driving his kids around in a car that potentially had no ABS/ESC - so we are on the hook for that.

Nice idea but that's not how it works (as any half-intelligent customer will find out after 10 minutes on Google). The customer has no contract with the main dealer and the warranty is in addition to CRA 2015.  CRA comes back to us. We have been liaising with the MG dealer but they are struggling. I think we are now looking at money back due to a fault within 30 days. Sometimes its just best to put your hands up.

Apparently MG sold just 350 of these cars in 2017 so not a common sight!  It seems they are a bit of an unfinished project.... Thank God we didn't pay much for it!

So if its unsafe and MG won't have a fix they can take it off the road loan a vehicle until it is fixed right? If not they can pay out market value.

BMW / EGR Recalls some on back order for months gave customers loan cars due the fact the cars were unsafe. They can't just say there you go use the car with no ABS.  

Fight the customers corner, intervene and push towards the manufacturer for a result. Also try a different franchise / MG garage see whether they are any more helpful.

5 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

So if its unsafe and MG won't have a fix they can take it off the road loan a vehicle until it is fixed right? If not they can pay out market value.

BMW / EGR Recalls some on back order for months gave customers loan cars due the fact the cars were unsafe. They can't just say there you go use the car with no ABS.  

Fight the customers corner, intervene and push towards the manufacturer for a result. Also try a different franchise / MG garage see whether they are any more helpful.

All good points but wear a face mask when you go in:D

18 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

I think it would be quite a mission to achieve that outcome. More than I can be bothered with.  We've decided to refund the customer and put its head back on the block.

In the words of The Gambler (Kenny Rogers):

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

I think it would be quite a mission to achieve that outcome. More than I can be bothered with.  We've decided to refund the customer and put its head back on the block.

In the words of The Gambler (Kenny Rogers):

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run

Ive said that myself a few times 

I’ve heard good things about the ZS and GS. I got stung with an MG 6 though, they came well specced but everything had the quality of a Poundland Xmas cracker toy. 70k miles, dash lit up like an Xmas tree, blew a turbo, gearbox whine, electric windows packed up. All in all it was utter crap. I’ve heard the MG 3’s go through timing chains quicker than oil changes too.

Edited by Lakeside

23 hours ago, Lakeside said:

I’ve heard the MG 3’s go through timing chains quicker than oil changes too.

Are they their own engines? It makes me think of a few years ago a young lad in the pub chuffed to bits with his brand new Chinese scooter - I think it was just over a grand retail, they must of cost tuppence to make.

“Them Hondas are 4 times the price, you know. They’re taking the piss” was his greedy warcry.

I was surprised to hear he actually intended to use it for commuting good distances. Well, that was his plan anyway. The engines in these things were barely good for 1000 miles. When the engines weren’t eating themselves some mechanical or electrical malady reared its head. Total & utter cheap spew. 

Edited by BHM

5 hours ago, BHM said:

Are they their own engines? 

Apparently the 1.5 is their own design.  The 1.0 3 cyl is a joint design with GM. They have a big tie-up with GM.

Looking on the web it seems they have a new 4x4 EV launching next year with 0-60mph time of less than 4 seconds. Should be interesting...

5 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Apparently the 1.5 is their own design.  The 1.0 3 cyl is a joint design with GM. They have a big tie-up with GM.

Looking on the web it seems they have a new 4x4 EV launching next year with 0-60mph time of less than 4 seconds. Should be interesting...

Correct I believe. The 1.8 in the 6 was basically a heavily reworked k-series, they actually seam to have cured the head gasket problems and made it a decent engine but then dropped it.