NacMan

Card machine

Whos best to get a card machine with? What do your providers charge?

Thanks

I use iZettle. No monthly fee just a 1.75% charge per transaction.  My volumes are very low and only take deposits with it.  If your volumes are much higher then something else may be a better fit.

Depends on the turnover you can provide them with , how long you been in business? , Where your premises are at? .

Selling from home could be a problem , if they see only a few cars that also could be a problem , haven't got any signs up outside your business that's a problem .

Then it depends on the type of terminal you want too . Roaming mobile , internet based  , wired in,all have differing costs from £15 / £35 a month 

Ring round a few and see where the land lies in your area and what the rules are would be my advice . No one company fits all situations . 

7 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Depends on the turnover you can provide them with , how long you been in business? , Where your premises are at? .

Selling from home could be a problem , if they see only a few cars that also could be a problem , haven't got any signs up outside your business that's a problem .

Then it depends on the type of terminal you want too . Roaming mobile , internet based  , wired in,all have differing costs from £15 / £35 a month 

Ring round a few and see where the land lies in your area and what the rules are would be my advice . No one company fits all situations . 

Just got one with worldpay:D They didn't ask any questions just looked at my turnover:D

22 hours ago, Oakham Cars said:

I use iZettle. No monthly fee just a 1.75% charge per transaction.  My volumes are very low and only take deposits with it.  If your volumes are much higher then something else may be a better fit.

I was thinking about izettle for deposits too however imagine they want to buy the car in full lol 1.75% out of my margin

We dont have a card machine. Bank transfer all the way

2 hours ago, MrC said:

Why cant banks provide their own card machines with very low percentages or even one at all?

Is there regulation?

It would sure help out small businesses as bank transfers arent always instant. A lot of banking apps do have daily limits to new payees

10 hours ago, MrC said:

Ive tried that lost two sales this week due to them not being able to leave a deposit on the spot! they went and found a different vehicle closer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NacMan said:

Ive tried that lost two sales this week due to them not being able to leave a deposit on the spot! they went and found a different vehicle closer.

RMS do same day and next day payments. Worth a shout.

If someone is in the office and wants to pay and take the car away quite happy to take the lot on a debit card, saves waiting around for transfers. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

If someone is in the office and wants to pay and take the car away quite happy to take the lot on a debit card, saves waiting around for transfers. 

+1 

Any payment method is welcome here but finance will always be my preference.

Hi, id take back control and REFUSE TO HAVE ONE, LOOK AT THE BENEFITS :

no commision

instant payment ( we ask for Bank Transfer-internet bank )

Better legal ground for the Dealer

No refunds-no claw backs

I sent my machine back 3 years ago, used to use Global Payments, absolute nightmare they are !!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holmfirth Cars said:

I sent my machine back 3 years ago, used to use Global Payments, absolute nightmare they are !!!

Totally agree, Global Payments are a nightmare.  Terminated my agreement with them a few months back, got some extra penalty charge on my last statement. Fine, whatever.  Told me they would be in touch regarding collecting my unit. A week or so back they organised collection, then sent me an invoice for £90 "unit reconditioning charge".  Wouldn't recommend anyone ever to use them. 

10 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Will look into it!

Am i the only one that insists on cash?

With crisp notes and queens head facing the correct way?

Coins incur a 5% handling charge 

:lol:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Holmfirth Cars said:

Hi, id take back control and REFUSE TO HAVE ONE, LOOK AT THE BENEFITS :

no commision

instant payment ( we ask for Bank Transfer-internet bank )

Better legal ground for the Dealer

No refunds-no claw backs

So no credit card? What if they get put off? they recon they have It safer via debit

10 hours ago, NacMan said:

So no credit card? What if they get put off? they recon they have It safer via debit

Taking card is useful for deposits or payment in full on the day. If someone leaves a deposit and comes back transfer in advance should never pose an issue. Costs  are negligible over a month.

Card machine is an absolute must to take deposits over the phone and deposits on the day. 

Every now and then you will also get a customer that doesn’t do online banking or has a low transfer limit (£1000 a day) in which case take the lot on a debit card instead of spending an hour driving them to their bank and bank. 

Do not be penny wise and pound foolish when looking at card providers. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Am i the only one that insists on cash?

With crisp notes and queens head facing the correct way?

Shhhhhhh! Don’t tell anyone!

“Cash” is a dirty word nowadays & is to be avoided at all costs. Apparently.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, BHM said:

“Cash” is a dirty word nowadays & is to be avoided at all costs

My buyers certainly get told that we can't discount just because they have cash. I don't actively avoid it but would prefer a bank transfer.

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

My buyers certainly get told that we can't discount just because they have cash. I don't actively avoid it but would prefer a bank transfer.

+1

1%+Vat to pay it in to the bank!

3 hours ago, BHM said:

Shhhhhhh! Don’t tell anyone!

“Cash” is a dirty word nowadays & is to be avoided at all costs. Apparently.

Would say dirty but i avoid it at all costs, due to the banking charges incurred when paying it in.

11 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Would say dirty but i avoid it at all costs, due to the banking charges incurred when paying it in.

Plus the time, our nearest  branch is 15 mins without traffic,  aways a queue, never get parked ends up taking 45 mins just to nip to the bank to get charged for the privilege 

I use Payment Sense

0.3% Debit

0.7% Credit

£15 per month wired terminal

I wouldn't be without it

With my stock profile I have quite a few elderly customers who can not/wiil not do bank transfer

Preference is £200 deposit on card and bank transfer before/on collection

19 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Don't bank it spend it. I use any cash taken to pay for tyres and other expenses.

Although it can take a while to get rid of sometimes!

25 minutes ago, AAM90 said:

I use Payment Sense

0.3% Debit

0.7% Credit

£15 per month wired terminal

I wouldn't be without it

With my stock profile I have quite a few elderly customers who can not/wiil not do bank transfer

Preference is £200 deposit on card and bank transfer before/on collection

Don't bank it spend it. I use any cash taken to pay for tyres and other expenses.

Although it can take a while to get rid of sometimes!

That would never work for us plus its always the first port of call during a HMRC inspection, over the years i have just found it easier to avoid the stuff. 

As in all things in life what works for you doesnt for others. 

The world is changing, Bank Transfer is simple, fraud free, and clears instantly, take a cash deposit initially,, we do circa £300, then the  rest via Internet -Phone-Bank Transfer. MOST OF OUR CUSTOMERS HAVE A BANKING APP ON THEIR PHONE-SIMPLE.

Or they can go into any Bank and transfer it securely , or B Society , or telephone Banking.

CREDIT CARD = wide open to  excessive charges, chargebacks, and the customer has greater legar leverage using a CREDIT CARD-BE WARNED !!!