Earunder

What's up with the prices?

Why have the majority of all AH gone, let's ramp up the price mode.

BCA - Silly money lately, unless you want a bucket that you need to spend a week or 2 at different places to get the cosmetics sorted.
Manheim - Just as expensive but they've started sneaking the conditions up again (Grade 2 when should be higher) Although I'm a big lover of the "Odour" report.
Aston Barclay - Not as pricey and currently doing £50 delivery nationwide but no mech reports.

I'd usually rant, but not overly busy, just ticking over and still have enough stock at paint, workshop et all to restock the site, but it's just weird this year.

1 hour ago, Earunder said:

Why have the majority of all AH gone, let's ramp up the price mode.

BCA - Silly money lately, unless you want a bucket that you need to spend a week or 2 at different places to get the cosmetics sorted.
Manheim - Just as expensive but they've started sneaking the conditions up again (Grade 2 when should be higher) Although I'm a big lover of the "Odour" report.
Aston Barclay - Not as pricey and currently doing £50 delivery nationwide but no mech reports.

I'd usually rant, but not overly busy, just ticking over and still have enough stock at paint, workshop et all to restock the site, but it's just weird this year.

This year :o Been like it for ages now in my opinion  Reports are not worth a thought either now days 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

This year :o Been like it for ages now in my opinion  Reports are not worth a thought either now days 

I was just saying that the other David I've seen cars in the auction sell for more than you can buy them from at main dealers 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Yeah it has been dragging out.  I mean, they are putting cars through 3/4 times nowadays.  Used to get the majority from BCA now it's all spread from 3.

I understand there is a shortage of "quality" used cars around, especially now 2/3 more main dealer groups have started within the used car market and not putting as much of their part ex's through, but prices in the last 2 weeks have been insane.

• Like 1

Watched BCA  BMW Sale this morning and xdrive 330d and 335d 64/66 plates were average £1,500/£2,000 over CAP Clean and same price as Autotrader Retail cars on sale , Madness pure madness . 

Watched one   two months ago , needed two front tyres , MOT and wheel refurb . Nice thing was at £13,500 really max and that was well over CAP  , I know this model  are rare and make more than book but you still need a profit margin in that sort of stuff . The bloody thing sold at £16,000 on the hammer , Gold card fees and assured report + plus online fee would be £16,500 out the door , local place to us bought it . Put £18,495 :ph34r::o on it , it didn't sell surprise surprise and today its on sale at  less than they paid for it :ostill wants refurb wheels and two tyres , So the dopes who do this are not helping prices are they , probably forgot what they bought it for .

watched a 3.0 litre petrol BMW   last month  fetch £12,500 on the hammer + fees  " I had a strong £11,000 for it max ", found it online for sale at £13,295 , who can work on £300 on 13k . Even if its finance its not worth doing it for . 

Daft times for sure , oh well onwards and upwards , :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Must be the higher end stuff, at our market up to £4K we seam to be spoilt for choice this past few months, all at decent prices too, at least around here anyway.

Just a shame I’m not selling much!

• Like 1

I have been looking for a Range Rover Sport on a 13 to 15 plate. Anything decent is way over retail money. There are 14 plates on sale at Franchises at 1k to 2 k less than they are making at BCA

Everything is ridiculous just now....I though prices were going to soften rapidly in Sept with New Reg/Brexit etc etc??

Its weird...prices were low for a while early summer. I went to BCA Bedford on a may bank holiday and bought five really cheap all grade 1 and 2, same cars 4 months later would be 1k to 2k more. Could have bought loads that day.

37 minutes ago, XFS said:

Could have bought loads that day.

Hind sight , Could of done , Should of done :)

As i said hindsight is a wonderful thing :lol: if only we had a crystal ball Hey 

I went to Blackbushe first time this year (used to be a regular) and every car was way over. Bought a couple (just) wont be going back anytime soon. My local Aston barlcay is still good most make cap or cap average. Didnt know AB were doing cheap delivery.

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

Hind sight , Could of done , Should of done :)

As i said hindsight is a wonderful thing :lol: if only we had a crystal ball Hey 

You sound like me david I'm  always saying that 

3 hours ago, XFS said:

I have been looking for a Range Rover Sport on a 13 to 15 plate. Anything decent is way over retail money. There are 14 plates on sale at Franchises at 1k to 2 k less than they are making at BCA

Everything is ridiculous just now....I though prices were going to soften rapidly in Sept with New Reg/Brexit etc etc??

Its weird...prices were low for a while early summer. I went to BCA Bedford on a may bank holiday and bought five really cheap all grade 1 and 2, same cars 4 months later would be 1k to 2k more. Could have bought loads that day.

Keeping on top of stuff like this means you know when to buy and not buy. Might aswell get that RRS from a dealer. They have took an absolute hammering lately, when they level out buying rights going to have them looking banging value for money. 

I did alright and bought 9 today, 7 at Colchester Manheim 2 from Northampton Manheim felt most were fair money.

6 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Watched BCA  BMW Sale this morning and xdrive 330d and 335d 64/66 plates were average £1,500/£2,000 over CAP Clean and same price as Autotrader Retail cars on sale , Madness pure madness . 

Watched one   two months ago , needed two front tyres , MOT and wheel refurb . Nice thing was at £13,500 really max and that was well over CAP  , I know this model  are rare and make more than book but you still need a profit margin in that sort of stuff . The bloody thing sold at £16,000 on the hammer , Gold card fees and assured report + plus online fee would be £16,500 out the door , local place to us bought it . Put £18,495 :ph34r::o on it , it didn't sell surprise surprise and today its on sale at  less than they paid for it :ostill wants refurb wheels and two tyres , So the dopes who do this are not helping prices are they , probably forgot what they bought it for .

watched a 3.0 litre petrol BMW   last month  fetch £12,500 on the hammer + fees  " I had a strong £11,000 for it max ", found it online for sale at £13,295 , who can work on £300 on 13k . Even if its finance its not worth doing it for . 

much head scratching as to why this type of stock is doing silly numbers, well one answer/reason is the amount of bca dealer finance on offer + stocking loans, and once qualifying the urge to spend the funding, one clever spark i know bought an m3 cab at £32k - couldn't sell it,90 days later when it needs paying for traded it out locally in a panic for £29k , some are even on £300k stocking loans at the minute, all very well if you can juggle it and make it work, but with that kind of stocking finance on offer it's no wonder auction prices are bonkers, appears to now be a whole retail sector who's business plan is based on ad on's + commission as profit rather than having a margin in a car, strange times indeed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Sometimes you can buy said cars from dealers and independents when they want out my business contact does it sometimes he's bought cars from arnold clark. Retail Did more prep traded in an old px   And came out in profit always does well with volkswagen transporters . Keep an eye on that beemer David

11 hours ago, awc1000 said:

much head scratching as to why this type of stock is doing silly numbers, well one answer/reason is the amount of bca dealer finance on offer + stocking loans, and once qualifying the urge to spend the funding, one clever spark i know bought an m3 cab at £32k - couldn't sell it,90 days later when it needs paying for traded it out locally in a panic for £29k , some are even on £300k stocking loans at the minute, all very well if you can juggle it and make it work, but with that kind of stocking finance on offer it's no wonder auction prices are bonkers, appears to now be a whole retail sector who's business plan is based on ad on's + commission as profit rather than having a margin in a car, strange times indeed.

If I had a car on stocking or outright and it was at 90 days I would just end up cutting my losses, taking a hit and shifting it on.Buy something else, take some finance comm, take in a nice PX. 

There is a lot of silly old men in the trade who think anyone who pays over  cap clean for a car is 'money laundering drug dealer innit'. 

Many, many businesses make funding work for them. Some don't. That being said some people with a big pot of money  owning all their stock still take losses and still mess up when buying. Keep up that kind of activity and your out of a job funded or not.

Cars are worth what anyone wants to pay for them. Set your limits and worry about yourself and what you can do. 

Edited by Rory RSC
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

If I had a car on stocking or outright and it was at 90 days I would just end up cutting my losses, taking a hit and shifting it on.Buy something else, take some finance comm, take in a nice PX. 

There is a lot of silly old men in the trade who think anyone who pays over  cap clean for a car is 'money laundering drug dealer innit'. 

Many, many businesses make funding work for them. Some don't. That being said some people with a big pot of money  owning all their stock still take losses and still mess up when buying. Keep up that kind of activity and your out of a job funded or not.

very true rory, but the old guard didn't build their pot by being as careless at the block as some of the new breed, stocking plans certainly are pushing up auction prices,fair do's for those that are making it work, 

as for the auction money laundering drug dealer innit - that's a miff...but the bored builder / sometimes car trader types are certainly out in force charging in as ever.

11 hours ago, awc1000 said:

well one answer/reason is the amount of bca dealer finance on offer + stocking loans, and once qualifying the urge to spend the funding, one clever spark i know bought an m3 cab at £32k - couldn't sell it,90 days later when it needs paying for traded it out locally in a panic for £29k ,

Very very true , putting the large amounts of money into the hands of those who cant manage it is a very dangerous thing . Watched some swap from buying trade UKT cars to high end stuff and fall on their swords very quickly . 

We know one trader who started 4 yrs ago , been through the lots of the funders , now has other traders cars to sell on commission a few of his own , 50 k into finance with a finance company who tell him its 2% if they get reciprocal business when he sells . If not the interest is much higher . Two units full of cars that are not his , the rest dont belong to him and he swears hes doing well . 

High auction prices against the suggested cap values have never been an issue to me, providing there is still what I would call, a proper profit margin left in the car. Who cares what Mr cap or glass's says. A cars worth what we know we can get for it. But these are very strange times the past couple of years, when I see lots and lots of similar cars retailing for within a couple of hundred quid of auction prices. How can anyone run a business with such low margins? Is it because more and more dealers have become increasingly desperate to earn their monthly x's forcing them to cut prices and dragging the whole market down? Whether its over commitment to large storage units and/or overstretched with funding, who knows. Its a self perpetuating downward spiral in my opinion. And btw, yes prices have been super high the past few weeks. Even cheapies are not cheap. I watched a grade 4, 2011 Ibiza with a declared gearbox fault fetch £400 over cap clean yesterday- + fees+paint+mechanical+service+mot etc?

59 minutes ago, Tony F said:

. I watched a grade 4, 2011 Ibiza with a declared gearbox fault fetch £400 over cap clean yesterday- + fees+paint+mechanical+service+mot etc?

Saw similar car, Ibiza 1.4 sport 12 plate go through Notts , sounded terrible , tapping its nuts off and hobbling , cam shaft issues for sure , went in hall and made CAP average  which was far to strong , then online took off like Saturn 5 and went to silly figures, Makes me wonder why cos its not as its a rare car is it , bet they got a surprise when it turned up :o

Another expensive day today.  Sitting here watching BB now and just cringing...  

Going to end up just doing a shed load of commission bids for next week and see how they go.  Can't spend another whole day looking at my screens and getting nothing, feels like such a waste of a day. 

It's driving me nuts haha.

I just hope Enfield / Paddock Wood pick up my P/ex's in time for this influx of expensive buyers to buy them :D:D

5 minutes ago, Earunder said:

Another expensive day today.  Sitting here watching BB now and just cringing...  

Can't spend another whole day looking at my screens and getting nothing, feels like such a waste of a day. 

It's driving me nuts

# me too

cant even buy a decent sandwich now the cafes are shut

17 minutes ago, Earunder said:

Sitting here watching BB now and just cringing...  

I used to do that too......when I watched Big Brother :lol:

Here come the price increased...  Always was going to have a knock on effect as there is still very little quality stock around.  

So according to my car gurus and auto trader accounts 32(CG) / 29 (AT) of my vehicles show market value increases meaning my vehicles are now price Great - Low on AT and Great Deal with CG.  

Is anything different to recent times?

Half decent (I don’t deal in fully decent) stock at a premium but plenty of shit available which is swept up eagerly by all & sundry at the block doubtlessly cobbled together for unsuspecting punters.

I must say though, I am surprised at just how much shit the trade will buy - especially around the Leeds area. 

I think it's the first I can remember THAT much of a market increase across various makes and models.

I'm over the moon with the findings this morning as it makes a change to my 14 days stock pricing where normally I'm pricing down £50-75.  I'd say I've seen at least a 3-4% INCREASE.  

Positive times!!

38 minutes ago, BHM said:

Is anything different to recent times?

Half decent (I don’t deal in fully decent) stock at a premium but plenty of shit available which is swept up eagerly by all & sundry at the block doubtlessly cobbled together for unsuspecting punters.

I must say though, I am surprised at just how much shit the trade will buy - especially around the Leeds area. 

We say this a lot, it amazes me when a car comes through, clearly it’s next destination should be the scrap pile, and people will still be bidding it up to way over scrap price. If they want that sort of crap surely they would be better off buying a flatbed and sticking a scrap cars wanted ad in the local paper.

Edited by Lakeside