Sign in to follow this  
TangoVictor32

Fed up with 20 "best price" "last price" messages this week

Seriously had about 20 of these this week.

Is it the national best price last price week?

I reply with the actual price. One bugger offered me £700 for a £2000 car.

Seriously where do the F do these fools come out of?

I think the recent rise of certain political figures has encouraged more and more of these chancers to emerge and have "their say/view"... 2 or 3 years it wasn't this bad !

• Like 2

I blame the rise of all these save money on your shopping save money on your car insurance sites, we are now a culture of price driven people. 

• Like 1

Have noticed it a lot more.  Makes me wonder what they actually buy in the end.

Had a couple look at a car last week, everything they want, have been looking for ages but keep missing them, have seen us drop the price and then bid £2k less despite telling me he was amazed it has not sold yet at that price.

57 minutes ago, justina3 said:

I blame the rise of all these save money on your shopping save money on your car insurance sites, we are now a culture of price driven people. 

But the sites give you a final price. So if it was £500 cheaper then you pay that you dont ask them to knock off another £300.

Yet the same people go into a shop and pay £1000 for an iphone x or £2000 for a 65" tv (yet most dont know if you ask the currys manager he may knock off something or Chuck in a longer warranty)

I do believe in political classes in line with buying patterns...

Dont think Tory supporters will send daft offers or ask for last price without viewing. If so it will be a very small number

On the other hand you got the fascists with no teeth in a rough estate whos 02 reg Clio died and now he's looking at a £1800 motor and says "I'll gis yous £700quid for it m8?"

Then he'll come over with another 10 chavs expecting a brand new car 

Seriously thinking of folding if this continues. 

I much rather get into property. Do an empty house up and sell it. Less people to deal with = less hassle

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

But the sites give you a final price. So if it was £500 cheaper then you pay that you dont ask them to knock off another £300.

Yet the same people go into a shop and pay £1000 for an iphone x or £2000 for a 65" tv (yet most dont know if you ask the currys manager he may knock off something or Chuck in a longer warranty)

Dont think Tory supporters will send daft offers or ask for last price without viewing. If so it will be a very small number

On the other hand you got the fascists with no teeth in a rough estate whos 02 reg Clio died and now he's looking at a £1800 motor and says "I'll gis yous £700quid for it m8?"

I much rather get into property. Do an empty house up and sell it. Less people to deal with = less hassle

If your going down that route I would rather build from scratch far easier than patching something up and ten times the return. 

• Like 1

These wasters never seem to appear when things are moving quickly.  It's as if they know things are slow and they come out of the woodwork.

Had a chap and his wife come view a 64 plate Avensis a couple of weeks back, black, 42k FTSH. After loading up all the kids for a test drive and dirtying my mats with grass and grime they had the cheek to offer me 500 less than the asking. When I pointed to another 64 reg I had in grey with 50 k they said no they wanted a black one. When I pretended to have another 2013 due in in black they said the wanted a 2014 one! When I said I may have another black 2014 due in in a couple of weeks they said no we need to buy something today.

I thanked them for coming to view it and returned to the office. They stayed in their car for a further 10 minutes arguing amongst themselves then drove off.

People nowadays!

Edited by Scooby who
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scooby who said:

These wasters never seem to appear when things are moving quickly.  It's as if they know things are slow and they come out of the woodwork.

Spot on there. They all seem to be coming out over the last 2 or 3 weeks full on time wasters and total dreamers. Things will pick up again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Interesting because the 'super rich' are as hard to get money out of as the 'super poor'. Weird that.

1 hour ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Its always been standard practice to have the last price brigade take the p>ss if your selling cars sub two grand, they just don't go away when things are slow, i guess if they are skint chancer's they are immune to any economic downturn lol.

tangovictor - i thought you were a band of 6 down in wealthy cornwall? iv'e got trade friends doing very well in your neck of the woods on anything from 5k upwards if it has pedigree, whats your main stock profile =- age/miles/price? maybe change your stock profile a bit? nice cars attract nice folk etc.

3 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Seriously had about 20 of these this week.

Is it the national best price last price week?

I reply with the actual price. One bugger offered me £700 for a £2000 car.

Seriously where do the F do these fools come out of?

I think the recent rise of certain political figures has encouraged more and more of these chancers to emerge and have "their say/view"... 2 or 3 years it wasn't this bad !

I must have spoken to about 10 traders this week. Every single one has said it’s desperate.

Just ignore the arsehole offers, they never come to anything & just suck the life out of you if you let them.

It’s so dead the auction halls are all half-empty of bidders - I’ve been to five different sites in the last fortnight & they were all the same. After wading through the battered shite there are a few nice cheapish cars if you’ve got money to spend.

Retailing is currently knackered just about everywhere. I see yet another major high street operator (Arcadia Group) are closing more stores than anticipated. It’s the start of the slippery slope - I assume they’ll be history in another couple of years.

3 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

anything from 5k upwards if it has pedigree, whats your main stock profile =- age/miles/price? maybe change your stock profile a bit? nice cars attract nice folk etc.

I struggle to believe anything above 5K is an automatic seller and also that anyone’s ‘having it off’ at the moment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BHM said:

I must have spoken to about 10 traders this week. Every single one has said it’s desperate.

Just ignore the arsehole offers, they never come to anything & just suck the life out of you if you let them.

It’s so dead the auction halls are all half-empty of bidders - I’ve been to five different sites in the last fortnight & they were all the same. After wading through the battered shite there are a few nice cheapish cars if you’ve got money to spend.

Retailing is currently knackered just about everywhere. I see yet another major high street operator (Arcadia Group) are closing more stores than anticipated. It’s the start of the slippery slope - I assume they’ll be history in another couple of years.

I struggle to believe anything above 5K is an automatic seller and also that anyone’s ‘having it off’ at the moment. 

depends as ever on spec mileage and pedigree, granted the job is slower at the moment, but folk have forgotten how to or have given up on how to profile /obtain the right stock, selling basic spec cheap cars with over average miles isn't and never has been the answer, the good stuff will always be the last type of stock too slow up when its quiet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

depends as ever on spec mileage and pedigree, granted the job is slower at the moment, but folk have forgotten how to or have given up on how to profile /obtain the right stock, selling basic spec cheap cars with over average miles isn't and never has been the answer, the good stuff will always be the last type of stock too slow up when its quiet.

I have to tell you AWC that what is good stock for you may not be good stock for others operating elsewhere.Its horses for courses in this job,you must sell what the punters want and not what you prefer.In my experience it has always been a fact that the most profitable guys in this job sell stuff most of us would not touch....If you have found a niche that is good,but they never last.

From talking to mates who are in management there’s a lot of redundancies about to kick off in their firms, they’d held off hoping for a managed Brexit but with that looking unlikely it’s time to start cutting the cost base hard ahead as the downturn looks permanent.

Seeing house prices tumbling round here too (SE) for mid/top end stuff. 

Had a guy message me offering £3200 on a £4k car we've just listed and "Not a penny more".

Not sure if he was expecting me to succumb to his nice manners and charm...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I have to tell you AWC that what is good stock for you may not be good stock for others operating elsewhere.Its horses for courses in this job,you must sell what the punters want and not what you prefer.In my experience it has always been a fact that the most profitable guys in this job sell stuff most of us would not touch....If you have found a niche that is good,but they never last.

I'm not talking about niches, i'm talking about any car with pedigree, lower miles, low owners, proper history, decent spec, originality, granted these units are harder too find and compromise is the order of the day...but when dealers are happy too compromise on most of these factors then what do they expect? too many newer people in the job think stock comes from auction and that's how it works - period, plenty of people moaning about dead stock when it's quiet, the reality is it was probably wrong stock or bought wrong to start with, still plenty of dealers thinking every car is a retail prospect - it isn't and never has been, some dealers don't even realise what their stock profile is after they have bought it lol.

heh sorry if it all sounds a bit negative but its reality isn't it, on a positive note trade-vet glad to hear things have calmed down at the block and hope you managed to buy some nice cars at the right money.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CCC said:

From talking to mates who are in management there’s a lot of redundancies about to kick off in their firms, they’d held off hoping for a managed Brexit but with that looking unlikely it’s time to start cutting the cost base hard ahead as the downturn looks permanent.

Seeing house prices tumbling round here too (SE) for mid/top end stuff. 

Which area are you referring to,house prices in long established good neighbourhoods rarely tumble.However these expensive ‘ help to buy ‘ boxes they are knocking up in doubtfull regeneration areas must be at risk.

13 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

I'm not talking about niches, i'm talking about any car with pedigree, lower miles, low owners, proper history, decent spec, originality, granted these units are harder too find and compromise is the order of the day...but when dealers are happy too compromise on most of these factors then what do they expect? too many newer people in the job think stock comes from auction and that's how it works - period, plenty of people moaning about dead stock when it's quiet, the reality is it was probably wrong stock or bought wrong to start with, still plenty of dealers thinking every car is a retail prospect - it isn't and never has been, some dealers don't even realise what their stock profile is after they have bought it lol.

heh sorry if it all sounds a bit negative but its reality isn't it, on a positive note trade-vet glad to hear things have calmed down at the block and hope you managed to buy some nice cars at the right money.

I have just realised you are a ‘ doorstepper ‘,I agree with what you say.It also helps a lot if you have nice property in a desirable location when selling from the door.Late ex fleet stuff won’t work from the door,yet for a lot of pitch guys ex fleet is the best stock to have.....BTW I was doorstepping as a 17 year old !

2 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I have just realised you are a ‘ doorstepper ‘,I agree with what you say.It also helps a lot if you have nice property in a desirable location when selling from the door.Late ex fleet stuff won’t work from the door,yet for a lot of pitch guys ex fleet is the best stock to have.....BTW I was doorstepping as a 17 year old !

doorstepper not quite lol, lets just say i was in 1983 at 17 years old, and reverted back to being a doorstepper on the dearer stuff until recently- from a very nice doorstep lol. these days just underwrite mostly late / franchise

one things for sure, i wouldn't want the challenge these days of filling a pitch with stock i would be happy with, but if i did try i wouldn't be relying on just fleet stock from the block.

33 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

doorstepper not quite lol, lets just say i was in 1983 at 17 years old, and reverted back to being a doorstepper on the dearer stuff until recently- from a very nice doorstep lol. these days just underwrite mostly late / franchise

one things for sure, i wouldn't want the challenge these days of filling a pitch with stock i would be happy with, but if i did try i wouldn't be relying on just fleet stock from the block.

You are very fortunate that you can still buy direct from franchise dealers,that fizzled out many years ago for most of us.I much prefer ex fleet stuff although I rarely buy it these days as we only have a small pitch and I am very part time.We now just buy from the local BCA and at the door,I don’t even buy online anymore.If I was starting out again it would definately not be in this business.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trade vet said:

You are very fortunate that you can still buy direct from franchise dealers,that fizzled out many years ago for most of us.I much prefer ex fleet stuff although I rarely buy it these days as we only have a small pitch and I am very part time.We now just buy from the local BCA and at the door,I don’t even buy online anymore.If I was starting out again it would definately not be in this business.

I certainly would not want too start out again either in today's market, it does need to be said though - some of the trade have become a bit conditioned in how they think the job should work, so many dealers do not exploit or exhaust local avenues for sourcing stock, there's an whole army of dealers who just buy auction / online and incur indemnity and transport fees of £3-400 per unit before even prep starts, not saying that's completely wrong but these units should be topping up your stock not be the core of it...

just out of interest any retailers want to show on here the old method of working out what your stock profile actually currently is ??  just take your ten dearest cars - work out your average miles (add and divide x10) average price (add all 10) and average age of unit, add engine cc capacity's if you want, be interested to see what folk are running with?

Your forgetting we buy any car, the fact that these days anyone can just look online and get and know exactly what their car is worth, gone are the days of picking up local bargains and getting great priced px cars in stock, the public now are better armed 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wheelerdealer1 said:

Your forgetting we buy any car, the fact that these days anyone can just look online and get and know exactly what their car is worth, gone are the days of picking up local bargains and getting great priced px cars in stock, the public now are better armed 

not forgetting them at all, the fact is there is that much traffic diverted too wbac the reality is they don't bid what you might think anymore, if you have a local one then great use it too your advantage, just understand their buying patterns and you can beat their price easily if your customer quotes them, don't forget its BCA owned and only price driven by demand from the auction, couple to that the fact that bca realise the trade does not have much appetite for wbac entrys, example- summer, they often bid only 80% of cap clean for 4x4, (ive sat with wbac managers and witnessed them buy stuff at 70% cap, it happens) they also don't like mileage cars either, beating a wbac quote is usually easy and not a problem, dealing with a customer armed with an autotrader "opinion" of a value is a bigger problem not wbac.

4 hours ago, trade vet said:

Which area are you referring to,house prices in long established good neighbourhoods rarely tumble.However these expensive ‘ help to buy ‘ boxes they are knocking up in doubtfull regeneration areas must be at risk.

Posh bucks market town. It’s topmwbd stuff that’s arguably getting beyond affordable. One we liked was £685 asking, dropped to £650, we bid at £625 at agents suggestion and was accepted, now being told they’ll take £610. 

That said a lot of asking prices are optimistic, so in reality they houses are losing money vs what was paid, they just haven’t appreciated as much as the owners thought. 

5 hours ago, awc1000 said:

Its always been standard practice to have the last price brigade take the p>ss if your selling cars sub two grand, they just don't go away when things are slow, i guess if they are skint chancer's they are immune to any economic downturn lol.

tangovictor - i thought you were a band of 6 down in wealthy cornwall? iv'e got trade friends doing very well in your neck of the woods on anything from 5k upwards if it has pedigree, whats your main stock profile =- age/miles/price? maybe change your stock profile a bit? nice cars attract nice folk etc.

No mate I am in the Midlands.

There's always one or two that you have below 3/4k

Am also thinking long term e.g. petrol / diesel / electric etc

There will be a "point" when no one wants diesels and this point will randomly appear without notice. I have had some folks ring from certain cities that want a petrol variant than a diesel as their city centre has / incoming no diesel in city centre thing.

I think some traders really need to be careful if they only sell diesel or a majority of diesel.

Its just the whole malarkey of a rush of time wasters / stock VERY expensive at auction and bad economic times which will get very worse if we get a no deal Brexit. Prices of goods from eu will jump through the roof leaving less money for people. A lot of stuff is eu imported (from food to car parts!)

Self employment will be difficult and with added crap like zero emissions / diesel etc we will get hit a lot harder than other trades such as gas / plumbing plastering. 

Plus annual increases in auction fees, insurance, junk misgraded at auction, new BCA assurances that are worthless which you waste more time debating with BCA.

I think there will be a massive crash soon. Everyone will increase prices to meet ends and no one will be to afford them unless your Mike Ashley

Boris Brexit Boom-Boom :ph34r:

Edited by TangoVictor32