Sign in to follow this  
Beautiful South Martin

Business Recovery Cover

Was watching Martin Lewis on GMB this morning who mentioned a recovery company called Auto Aid offering a years cover for £48 which covers the driver not the car. Touch wood I've never broke down yet driving to and from the auction but I'm sure I'm due one. Thought this might be worth taking out or would it be null and void if they landed and your sitting there with your hazards flashing and trade plates on display, only thing I can see in their T&Cs business vans are not covered......Anybody got any recovery cover that is applicable to the motor trade?

I took some out a couple of months ago with the AA. They were they only company I could find offering business  cover for trade plates but they were not cheap. I already had Auto Aid for me and the Mrs.

1 hour ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

Was watching Martin Lewis on GMB this morning who mentioned a recovery company called Auto Aid offering a years cover for £48 which covers the driver not the car. Touch wood I've never broke down yet driving to and from the auction but I'm sure I'm due one. Thought this might be worth taking out or would it be null and void if they landed and your sitting there with your hazards flashing and trade plates on display, only thing I can see in their T&Cs business vans are not covered......Anybody got any recovery cover that is applicable to the motor trade?

I’ve been with them for over a decade. They don’t have any recovery vehicles, they’re just a call centre who farm out the work to local recovery companies. As such the local recoverers do not give a toss cos they just want paying. The only proviso is I know Auto Aid check the MID to check the car is insured before allocating it to a job so put your cars on your MID. I’m sure if you ask “Do you cover trade?” the answer will be no so don’t bother asking.

I’ve used them 4 or 5 times & can’t speak highly enough of the service they offer.

Dont these companys just recover you to nearest local garage.............................  not good if you just took 2 trains and are 80 miles from base ??

Interested though have had a few times i needed recovery and had to uses flatbed

I have had the AA recover me twice in a recovery trucks I have been using to collect cars never been a problem and I have personal cover.

infact while I think about it I have broke down quite a few times, perhaps I am not a very good appraising cars?

My trade insurance is with Unicom, and they offer trade breakdown cover through ALP. It was £160 for the year, I’ve taken it out but not used it yet so couldn’t say how good it is.

2 hours ago, BHM said:

I’ve been with them for over a decade. They don’t have any recovery vehicles, they’re just a call centre who farm out the work to local recovery companies. As such the local recoverers do not give a toss cos they just want paying. The only proviso is I know Auto Aid check the MID to check the car is insured before allocating it to a job so put your cars on your MID. I’m sure if you ask “Do you cover trade?” the answer will be no so don’t bother asking.

I’ve used them 4 or 5 times & can’t speak highly enough of the service they offer.

+1

42 minutes ago, Wheelerdealer1 said:

I have AA and never had an issue with them collecting my trade plated cars

Me neither

On 18/04/2019 at 7:13 PM, BHM said:

Same here. Originally they were the only ones who'd cover my old diesel shogun. Ironically it was them that recovered me home when the engine eventually blew itself to bits one morning!:D

1 minute ago, met said:

Same here. Originally they were the only ones who'd cover my old diesel shogun. Ironically it was them that recovered me home when the engine eventually blew itself to bits one morning!:D

LOL, yeah, that is always inevitable with a Shotgun :lol:

Just now, Dave2302 said:

LOL, yeah, that is always inevitable with a Shotgun :lol:

1993 2.5TD 270k miles. I owned it for 10yrs and apart from a couple of oil changes a year a the usual MOT bits it just ran and ran. One morning I was dropping my daughter at college and it blew up! Catastrophic engine failure? I sold it to some African guy who probably shipped it back home where it got a new engine and another 270k miles!:D

not having been in any recovery club since 1980 i reckon ive saved a bob or 2 with being self reliant in recovering my own vehicles and having to pay for the recovery of my recovery trucks only twice in this period at a sum less than £400 all in

so thats another pot of gold next to the warranty inhouse fees ive saved:)

at this rate i should be in charge of brexit:lol:

We're with AA - I asked, and have confirmation that they cover motor trade vehicles and told us to take out personal cover.

Green Flag however, do not - as we found out sat in a car park with the bonnet up! :rolleyes: They had changed their policy T&Cs a couple of months earlier.

On 21/04/2019 at 9:03 PM, D&M said:

We're with AA - I asked, and have confirmation that they cover motor trade vehicles and told us to take out personal cover.

Green Flag however, do not - as we found out sat in a car park with the bonnet up! :rolleyes: They had changed their policy T&Cs a couple of months earlier.

How much does it cost with AA?

And are they fast? I know rac and aa are piss slow as they use their own vehicles.

Whereas green flag will send out a contractor which is by far quicker!

On the new dumb motorways if you break down and you miss the lay by you will be screwed on a live lane by the time recovery come out and tow you

10 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

How much does it cost with AA?

And are they fast? I know rac and aa are piss slow as they use their own vehicles.

Whereas green flag will send out a contractor which is by far quicker!

On the new dumb motorways if you break down and you miss the lay by you will be screwed on a live lane by the time recovery come out and tow you

The AA is £15 a month for the two of us on personal cover, and includes a tow to our choice of destination. Unlimited callouts too.

I think the speed just depends on how local the patrols are to you. I think they aim to be with you within 40 mins, which isn't bad. But I think if you are stranded in a live lane or somewhere dangerous, you are prioritised and they come out quicker.

Touch wood, we haven't had to use them.

12 minutes ago, D&M said:

The AA is £15 a month for the two of us on personal cover, and includes a tow to our choice of destination. Unlimited callouts too.

I think the speed just depends on how local the patrols are to you. I think they aim to be with you within 40 mins, which isn't bad. But I think if you are stranded in a live lane or somewhere dangerous, you are prioritised and they come out quicker.

Touch wood, we haven't had to use them.

Thats cheap for trade cover. 

Glad I've just seen this. I have cover with my bank account and just checked the Terms and they specifically exclude any vehicle bearing trade plates... Auto Aid seem very reasonable.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:08 PM, trade vet said:

I have had any car cover with the RAC for over 25 years.

We are just recovery whores and regularly switch between AA and Rac depending on whos giving us a deal. However when I called out the Rac last year with a failed fuel pump on an Audi TT, they would not recover me until I had taxed the car first. Thought it worth mentioning.