Wheelerdealer1

Dealer Auction - Any better now?

Not much to go wrong with those normally, except the clutch!!

48 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

it was the chain

did you check the oil level?

11 hours ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

did you check the oil level?

Tbh would you bother? In my experience adding oil doesn’t unstretch a chain or rebuild worn guides :lol:

7 hours ago, BHM said:

Tbh would you bother? In my experience adding oil doesn’t unstretch a chain or rebuild worn guides :lol:

hi the oil tensions the chain

fair enough if it is worn out but ive had them here sounding like a bag of nackers but no oil either once given elixir they quieten down after 10 minutes

these things only hold 3 litres so they always need buying on mileage and looking clean ie tyres with tread rather than ex pizza delivery,but i know you know that:D

Notice a lot of dealers on DA are adding a charge for using a debit card , wanting you to pay by transfer so they’ve got your money before you collect .

Didn’t think you could do this now or is it different for business to business?

ive read on a few listings business or personal debit card will be charged .

I buy 90% of my stock from DA and very rarely have a problem. Say 1 in 20 has an undisclosed issue. The rules I follow are:

Always collect yourself or a trusted driver(my semi retired father does the collections)

Never travel more than 70ish miles

Always buy a return train ticket just in case(it's not much more than a 1 way)

Don't pay until you have appraised and driven it

Get to know who are the good sellers( I have used DA since it's inception)

There are some good sellers  who are quite reasonable if they have missed something

I actually prefer it to physical auctions mainly because you get to drive the things before paying

On 19/04/2019 at 7:57 PM, NickGCS said:

It must be worth it when you look at the likes of the Holdcroft set up, literally a purpose built set up for the whole groups stock! They do it right as well, cars washed to appraise properly and fairly in our experience 

Holdcroft are a great outfit. They do the job properly. Staff are a  bit miserable. Although that's understandable

5 minutes ago, Jack Regan said:

Notice a lot of dealers on DA are adding a charge for using a debit card , wanting you to pay by transfer so they’ve got your money before you collect .

Didn’t think you could do this now or is it different for business to business?

ive read on a few listings business or personal debit card will be charged .

Business to business is different. They can still charge

Most dealers are set up to check the transfer while you are there collecting. Never pay in advance!

Whilst I was in a ranting mood with Car Gurus today, I also made a complaint to DA via their contact us button. 

Thought I’d hear no more about it as usual, but, to my surprise, the head bloke called me. Nice guy. 

Whilst he understood my point of view and somewhat sympathised with me, the nice conversation ended with no remedy. The dealers basically list what they like, and say/stipulate whatever terms they like. All DA can do is try to educate them as to how to best go about the listings to attract the most buyers. My suggestion of not having that dealer on their books fell on stony ground of course. 

Things like ‘absolutely no test drives or inspections’ and ‘payment in full in advance’ etc are what they are it would seem.  NO TEST DRIVES - IT’S AN AUCTION – SOLD AS DESCRIBED – NO TEST DRIVES AT BCA ARE THERE?!!

I said that in my head that means ‘ car’s shagged and I don’t care-you can go forth and multiply you trade scum’ and surely goes against the two way trust that should exist on DA, and, to be fair, does with many vendors on DA. Whilst its called an auction, it’s a bit more than that, and it’s only right that we get to check the descriptions and the lack of descriptions before paying. That and checking there’s an engine is always advisable. 

How long does it take to start the junk up, drive it a few hundred yards and then neatly report your findings I asked?  (You can be damn sure the said dealer in question has indeed driven the junk before doing the deal on the car they sold.  Or transporting to their compound etc)

Anyway, I said I’d draw their attention to this forum and you good people’s feelings about DA. He said he would be really interested in honest feedback, so over to you. 

I forget to mention the recently raised points by others where a shagged, seriously mis-described car is re-listed forthwith without any mention of said issues-despite DA being made aware of the offending dealer. The list of dealers not to buy off grows in the meantime of course. 

Edited by NOACROSS

2 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

can you name them?

I dunno who they are as never bought off them. And not likely to ever be buying from them either.

Suzuki Jimny Auto, finishing tomorrow. Yorkshire. 

To be fair to them, they’ve not tried to hide their (outrageous IMHO) stipulations.  

46 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

Batchelors Motor Group

Suzuki Ripon. IMO they were a shower of fly cunts when I used to use DA. They’ll sell absolutely any shit. Also worth noting is they know when a car has issues because their p/x compound is a distance from the showroom. One lad I know barely got off their forecourt before realising the diff was knackered.

Apparently the scrawny little rent boy isn’t appraising anymore but the latest twat, sorry appraiser, is no better. 

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

Thought I’d hear no more about it as usual, but, to my surprise, the head bloke called me. Nice guy. 

What’s all this ‘nice guy’ nonsense? He lent you his ear, gave you a few comforting words but as you say there was no remedy. 

To me the definition of a nice guy isn’t someone who politely deflects all genuine concerns & offers absolutely nil in the way of remedial action. In my book that’s a company man toeing the line & treating you like a twat. If you think he gives a stuff about your or our opinions then I’m afraid you’re deluding yourself.

PS the only thing I will add is if I was a main dealer I wouldn’t allow test drives because it’s an auction. However my appraisals would be more realistic than some of those chancers on there. 

Edited by BHM

45 minutes ago, BHM said:

Suzuki Ripon. IMO they were a shower of fly cunts when I used to use DA. They’ll sell absolutely any shit. Also worth noting is they know when a car has issues because their p/x compound is a distance from the showroom. One lad I know barely got off their forecourt before realising the diff was knackered.

Apparently the scrawny little rent boy isn’t appraising anymore but the latest twat, sorry appraiser, is no better. 

What’s all this ‘nice guy’ nonsense? He lent you his ear, gave you a few comforting words but as you say there was no remedy. 

To me the definition of a nice guy isn’t someone who politely deflects all genuine concerns & offers absolutely nil in the way of remedial action. In my book that’s a company man toeing the line & treating you like a twat. If you think he gives a stuff about your or our opinions then I’m afraid you’re deluding yourself.

PS the only thing I will add is if I was a main dealer I wouldn’t allow test drives because it’s an auction. However my appraisals would be more realistic than some of those chancers on there. 

Love it. :0) Yeah, you’re right- nice guy is irrelevant, but he was, and he listened to me - I’m under no allusion that anything will change and, in the grand scheme of things, we’re nothing to them compared to the dealer. He said it wasn’t true so make of it what you will. I also thought it might encourage others to complain where necessary if they thought they might at least be listened to  

Well it’s because of said chancers that we DO need to drive the junk before handing over our hard-earned. 

You do get to know the good ones as I said, and Emporium (Pointy Shoes) BHM Ltd would no-doubt be one of the good guys. ;0)

It’s not an auction really per-se except that it is as long as they know how to describe a Kit Kat. You need to check it’s not my dog’s crap wrapped in tin foil. 

If you bought a Surecheck BCA /Manheim car that states mechanically OK and it in fact wasn’t- then you don’t keep the junk. 

These DA chancers are crooks. 

Edited by NOACROSS

24 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

These DA chancers are crooks. 

You’re absolutely correct but it’s a disgrace that DA are aiding & abetting them by allowing them to continue unchecked.

I've never bought from DA so can't oblige a comment.... However, the image / thought of BHM in pointy shoes and a Tesco suit interests me.... :D

One group has put this on their ads. Yeah jog on!

***ALL VEHICLE SOLD WILL ATTRACT AN ADDITIONAL TRADERS FEE OF £60 INC VAT – PLEASE CONSIDER THIS WHEN MAKING YOUR BID.***

all this just takes the piss out of business to business contracts

theres no way i would buy from these people

2 hours ago, Tom said:

One group has put this on their ads. Yeah jog on!

***ALL VEHICLE SOLD WILL ATTRACT AN ADDITIONAL TRADERS FEE OF £60 INC VAT – PLEASE CONSIDER THIS WHEN MAKING YOUR BID.***

Strikes me as management trying to fill turnover gaps. I’m sure bids will be £60 lower so net price the same. Maybe they will treat it differently in their accounts.

12 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I've never bought from DA so can't oblige a comment.... However, the image / thought of BHM in pointy shoes and a Tesco suit interests me.... :D

I suspect Tesco don’t make them in my size :unsure:

AD, you’ll like this description of the vehicle. Do you notice what is actually missing from this description? ;

PLEASE CALL TO ARRANGE COLLECTION PRIOR TO TURNING UP. OUR CARS ARE STORED OFF SITE, COLLECTION MONDAY TO FRIDAY 9.00 AM UNTIL 4.30 PM ONLY. UNLESS PRIOR ARRANGEMENT Please note: None of our trade vehicles are mechanically appraised through our workshops nor do we road test them in any way, and they are strictly sold as seen- we will however list any faults that we do know about/notice. Once the vehicle has left site there will be no partial or full refunds, so please check the vehicle over before driving away whether that be you or your delivery agent. Please allow £200 for reconditioning charges as mistakes can be made and we may miss the odd item on a car. Prompt 3 day collection must be met in order to purchase this vehicle, Mon-Fri. Please inform us before you collect the vehicle of a rough date/time as our trade vehicles are stored off-site. After this period we reserve the right to cancel the sale and relist the vehicle if we think it is necessary. Payment must be made by Debit/Credit card in person with pin confirmation, BAC's or cash upto £5000. If you are paying by BAC's, once you have processed the payment please send us a screen shot of the transaction to the email provided on our Dealer-Auction so we can identify it easier in our banking. We also ask that you pay at least 24 hours before collection as BAC's is not instant and we will not release a vehicle until the funds are definitely in our account. Thank you and good luck

The vendors on Dealer Auction who merely disclaim everything and waffle on about how they want paying are a bunch of jokers. The ones that don't use the diagram to show damage, or that mention nothing about the car.  However, we still bid on their cars, although I generally try not to! Saying that, I stuck to my guns with the last one, car was described reasonably but they wanted paying in advance. I refused, explained why to them, they backed down and I got to check the car over and then transfer the funds. Fortunately it  was a HSBC to HSBC transfer so was instant.

For balance, are there any good DA stories?  Times when they have come through and been on our side? Be nice to hear some .

I’ll start with that I feel that they’re very helpful and nice people (sorry BHM) when you need to speak to them, and they appear to work hard to get you the junk if it’s provisional.

Like AT, it’s all about the bottom line, and the more dealers and buyers they have on there, the more money they’re likely to make  -this MUST obviously be their underlying goal.  Keeping us lot placated isn’t gonna be a major target (if at all)  & whilst trying to keep the dealer happy, it will be a balancing act, with us the little kid up in the air on the see-saw with the fat kid (with pointy shoes) on the other end laughing. 

As I said before, you get to know the good Dealers and I have no issues with them.

I don’t buy nearly as much off there as I used to, but this is mainly because of the high prices they fetch nowadays. Again, as a business model, it must be fantastic-wish I’d thought of it.  

It’s just the aggressive and unreasonable stipulations that get me and, as has been stated, a quick drive and report isn’t asking for much and the ones that don’t are either stupid or liars. 

Paying up front is similarly ridiculous, although there are a couple of dealers who I have got to trust and would do so if they wanted (they don’t) .

The answer will remain: if you don’t like it, don’t bid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BHM said:

I suspect Tesco don’t make them in my size :unsure:

AD, you’ll like this description of the vehicle. Do you notice what is actually missing from this description? ;

PLEASE CALL TO ARRANGE COLLECTION PRIOR TO TURNING UP. OUR CARS ARE STORED OFF SITE, COLLECTION MONDAY TO FRIDAY 9.00 AM UNTIL 4.30 PM ONLY. UNLESS PRIOR ARRANGEMENT Please note: None of our trade vehicles are mechanically appraised through our workshops nor do we road test them in any way, and they are strictly sold as seen- we will however list any faults that we do know about/notice. Once the vehicle has left site there will be no partial or full refunds, so please check the vehicle over before driving away whether that be you or your delivery agent. Please allow £200 for reconditioning charges as mistakes can be made and we may miss the odd item on a car. Prompt 3 day collection must be met in order to purchase this vehicle, Mon-Fri. Please inform us before you collect the vehicle of a rough date/time as our trade vehicles are stored off-site. After this period we reserve the right to cancel the sale and relist the vehicle if we think it is necessary. Payment must be made by Debit/Credit card in person with pin confirmation, BAC's or cash upto £5000. If you are paying by BAC's, once you have processed the payment please send us a screen shot of the transaction to the email provided on our Dealer-Auction so we can identify it easier in our banking. We also ask that you pay at least 24 hours before collection as BAC's is not instant and we will not release a vehicle until the funds are definitely in our account. Thank you and good luck

Any description of the car!

28 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Again, as a business model, it must be fantastic-wish I’d thought of it.

The problem, as I see it, is that many buyers are leaving or in AD's case choosing not to engage because of a few dealers playing by their own rules.

Ultimately I believe this lack of regulation of sellers will kill the platform.

Buyers will be driven away and the good sellers will then struggle to achieve the values they require.

As soon as something new opens up DA will be done.

Edited by David Ayers

The effort this Dealer Auction vendor took today when describing the car was amazing.

"Taken in part ex"

That's it.

Good effort!

• Haha 1