Sign in to follow this  
Lucas

Comparing two sites: Unit vs Roadside

I have had an open main road pitch, been a doorstepper and now a unit trader.

Out of the three, the unit is my preference, especially this time of year - no scraping ice from windows every day, no misted up windows or damp, less flat batteries, far, far, far less repeat cleaning and not weather dependant.

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

You’re right. Exactly this. Same for me. It’s all mostly virtual browsing, but it is an advantage to have a site when the turn up or see the set up online. That’s what I tell myself anyway. ;o)

if youv’e got something leary or flashy on the front, it’ll sometimes sell from passing. 

Thanks. I didn’t want to be doom and gloom but that’s definitely what I feel.

As the years plunder on and setups like AD’s begin to prevail (maybe his business plan will evolve to a complete see, click, buy, deliver service? I see Main dealers going more this way) perhaps the roadside pitch will become more redundant. I wouldn’t rue less time inside a cold portakabin. 

Look at it this way. Today I started at 9.30 and I’m finishing in about 25 minutes and i’ve not seen a soul besides a couple collecting one at 1pm. This is not uncommon. It can be a fucking dreary boring old business at times.

16 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I have had an open main road pitch, been a doorstepper and now a unit trader.

Out of the three, the unit is my preference, especially this time of year - no scraping ice from windows every day, no misted up windows or damp, less flat batteries, far, far, far less repeat cleaning and not weather dependant.

That is true. 

4 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

Thanks. I didn’t want to be doom and gloom but that’s definitely what I feel.

As the years plunder on and setups like AD’s begin to prevail (maybe his business plan will evolve to a complete see, click, buy, deliver service? I see Main dealers going more this way) perhaps the roadside pitch will become more redundant. I wouldn’t rue less time inside a cold portakabin. 

Look at it this way. Today I started at 9.30 and I’m finishing in about 25 minutes and i’ve not seen a soul besides a couple collecting one at 1pm. This is not uncommon. It can be a fucking dreary boring old business at times.

Just as you're locking up to go home you can bet someone will pull up, just for a look round ! 

4 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

Snap! Apart from mine collected at 12!

19 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Snap! Apart from mine collected at 12!

I had 2 in all day yesterday, 1 sold, 1 I deliberately detered/didn't sell

Only 1 in today for a test drive, gone for a think (yeah right).

So glad I bring my dog to work, otherwise I would have no one to talk to.

Anyway, 24 minutes until lock up and pub

56 minutes ago, Max Branning said:

Just as you're locking up to go home you can bet someone will pull up, just for a look round ! 

I wrote the original post thinking just that and sod's law, someone did... to sell us a car back that we sold them a while ago following their partner's passing.

Dear mates,

Things are not going what I wanted. The roadside pitch process failed. Because that is a sublease and the lease is 10 years, and 1-year deposit required! Okay, then I just called the unit agent, and finally reached an agreement this morning to take the 3,600 sqft unit for 6-year lease whit 3 years break clause, 6 months deposit. Hopefully this time work!

Not too bad! At least no more long-distance travel to work needed.:)  

Edited by Lucas

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Dear mates,

Things are not going what I wanted. The roadside pitch process failed. Because that is a sublease and the lease is 10 years, and 1-year deposit required! Okay, then I just called the unit agent this morning, and we reached an agreement to take the 3,600 sqft unit for 6-year lease whit 3 years break clause, 6 months deposit. Hopefully this time work!

Not too bad! At least no more long travel to work needed.:)  

Better IMO

My lease is 6 years with a 3 year break clause - only 3 months down deposit though and much cheaper than SE prices

Edited by Mark101

9 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Better IMO

My lease is 6 years with a 3 year break clause - only 3 months down deposit though and much cheaper than SE prices

Thank you Mark. Yes, I feel a little bit of relief now when I think of working indoor and only 3 miles from home. I tried to offer 3 months deposit. But, with no any business references, so the landlord just need 6 months. I think I can't find any other less than that. 

Edited by Lucas

I would be going round local main dealers offering to buy the franchises to be fair get a glass palace.

How many cars have you sold so far again....

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Thank you Mark. Yes, I feel a little bit of relief now when I think of working indoor and only 3 miles from home. I tried to offer 3 months deposit. But, with no any business references, so the landlord just need 6 months. I think I can't find any other less than that. 

Who’s name is the lease going in Ltd company or you personally? Think I know the answer

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

I would be going round local main dealers offering to buy the franchises to be fair get a glass palace.

How many cars have you sold so far again....

How to buy a franchise? I never know I could buy a franchise. Please tell me more. Thanks.

..........I sold none. That is embarrassing! :(

46 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

Who’s name is the lease going in Ltd company or you personally? Think I know the answer

Ltd Company

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

How to buy a franchise? I never know I could buy a franchise. Please tell me more. Thanks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: FFS.

You'll need a damn site more than 200k Lucas.  We need to get you to understand English humour/irony/sarcasm ;0)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: FFS.

You'll need a damn site more than 200k Lucas.  We need to get you to understand English humour/irony/sarcasm ;0)

Oh... My bad! Sorry mates.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

.I sold none. That is embarrassing! :(

For Gawds sake , settle down and sell some cars my friend  before you do anything else , Business is ABOUT SELLING not talking about it :o. Any fool can talk about it .

You haven't found the retail skills  to your prospective customer or a sales routine when in front of customer , test drive courses ,and what to say , HOW to CLOSE a DEAL  , your niche car types , Phone  manner , doubtful your up to speed with the paper work of what to do regarding invoices , valuing px cars , Then you have to keep the flow going . 

Will take weeks at best possibly months to get it all in place and EVERY customer will be different , Remember the golden rule 

PROFIT is the key word 

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

..........I sold none. That is embarrassing! :(

Ltd Company

Wouldn’t be so concerned then. Use that ltd company to pay the rent and use another to buy cars. That way if you need to move sites you can.... well, you can fill in the blanks ;)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

... well, you can fill in the blanks ;)

I very much doubt he can.

6 hours ago, David Horgan said:

For Gawds sake , settle down and sell some cars my friend  before you do anything else , Business is ABOUT SELLING not talking about it :o. Any fool can talk about it .

You haven't found the retail skills  to your prospective customer or a sales routine when in front of customer , test drive courses ,and what to say , HOW to CLOSE a DEAL  , your niche car types , Phone  manner , doubtful your up to speed with the paper work of what to do regarding invoices , valuing px cars , Then you have to keep the flow going . 

Will take weeks at best possibly months to get it all in place and EVERY customer will be different , Remember the golden rule 

PROFIT is the key word 

Thank you so much!  Will do, everything will be all right (I hope) even with a little mistake on the way.

6 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

Wouldn’t be so concerned then. Use that ltd company to pay the rent and use another to buy cars. That way if you need to move sites you can.... well, you can fill in the blanks ;)

Thank you! This is a brilliant idea!

Edited by Lucas

So in 5 months now, how much have you spent on your Car Trade Business ?

How much NET Profit have you earned from the Car Trade ?

47 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

So in 5 months now, how much have you spent on your Car Trade Business ?

How much NET Profit have you earned from the Car Trade ?

£200K investment. £0 profit.

Edited by Lucas

8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

£200K investment. £0 profit.

You haven't invested 200 grand mate.  You've bought two Jags and a Mini plus signed yourself up for a workshop.  Plus spent a few hundred on a a couple of Autoraper adverts yes?

Are all your cars now advertised?

17 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

You haven't invested 200 grand mate.  You've bought two Jags and a Mini plus signed yourself up for a workshop.  Plus spent a few hundred on a a couple of Autoraper adverts yes?

Are all your cars now advertised?

You are right! Three of them are advertised from two days ago. And another one on hold. And looking for pick up one more today.