Sign in to follow this  
Lucas

Comparing two sites: Unit vs Roadside

1 hour ago, AutoJacob said:

This has to be Benji trying to annoy us all over again,

Benji is MrV. 

Lucas is Lucas. 

In terms of vision, capital and business development appetite comparing both is like comparing the Dash Q400 to a Boeing Dream(forgive the pun)liner

25 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Benji is MrV. 

Lucas is Lucas. 

In terms of vision, capital and business development appetite comparing both is like comparing the Dash Q400 to a Boeing Dream(forgive the pun)liner

Thanks for the kind words nick

I didn't mean disrespect by comparing you to a Dash Q400 Benji, it's still a capable and popular aeroplane but Lucas's vision is quite simply unmatched on this forum (and beyond), hence the Dreamliner accolade :-)

2 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I didn't mean disrespect by comparing you to a Dash Q400 Benji, it's still a capable and popular aeroplane but Lucas's vision is quite simply unmatched on this forum (and beyond), hence the Dreamliner accolade :-)

What's unmatched about his vision? 

3 minutes ago, MrV said:

What's unmatched about his vision? 

Considering two sites, establishing a servicing business and employing several people before he has sold any cars at a profit?

Lucas just do it and when you have worked your ass off for the first year and made zero profits or even took a big loss maybe then you will wake up from the fantasy you are living in. Then take it up the arse and realise it would have been easier and less painful 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

Lucas just do it and when you have worked your ass off for the first year and made zero profits or even took a big loss maybe then you will wake up from the fantasy you are living in. Then take it up the arse and realise it would have been easier and less painful 

WAHEYYYYYY

13 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Considering two sites, establishing a servicing business and employing several people before he has sold any cars at a profit?

Or ridiculous? 

9 minutes ago, MrV said:

WAHEYYYYYY

Or ridiculous? 

Lucas i want a job £100k a year can't promise your business will work out but you need to promise me £100k

15 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

Thank you. That could be the result. I always assumed and prepared for the worst results when I do business.

22 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

In fact to save time  why  dont you just  gift me £30000 to save you the hastle, Then you can find something you really can invest your (then) £170000 into and  make money from

2 hours ago, justlooking said:

Go for the Unit. 15 min drive will be excellent versus 50.

How soon can you start? we want the next installment ASAP. 

Thank you Justlooking. I am trying to make it asap. But things are going very slow. The agent working slow. The landlords need more time to consider my offer since I am new to the business, and they are still in holiday. Both of them required at least 6 months security deposit. I can't complaint as this is look like a normal practice.

40 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Thank you Justlooking. I am trying to make it asap. But things are going very slow. The agent working slow. The landlords need more time to consider my offer since I am new to the business, and they are still in holiday. Both of them required at least 6 months security deposit. I can't complaint as this is look like a normal practice.

read this

https://www.darlingtons.com/blog/rent-deposits-commercial-property

i would expect to pay no more than 3 months but i guess its different the further south you go

remember to get a solicitor to go through the lease before you sign and ideally set up a limited liability company in case you need to leave earlier than intended

• Like 1

Thank you Boring Dave. Got it. Everything is in place already. Solicitor, Ltd, and business bank accounts. 

Edited by Lucas

5 hours ago, Lucas said:

Thank you! It's £35K annual inclusive. I think it needs 100+ cars to break even. 

Nothing wrong with starting small. It just that I consider doing 5 cars at home is not a business. I could be most certainly wrong at some point by doing it bigger than my poor skill. But risk is every where, we have to take the risk sometimes.

Thank you for the answer. Good points!

A proper business is one that actually makes money. 

17 hours ago, Lucas said:

The fact is that I am not a good salesman (not even qualified!). So, I know I will never do as good as any one of you by myself (not even close!). I will hire someone to run it. Yes, it is diffrercult. But I do want to try my luck. :)

I appreciated for any input.

i constantly [ just like most other traders on here] battle to get over to my customers, that, unlike "people" who "try there luck" at car sales, i , do not.

its taken me over a hour today with just one customer to get over to them that i don't " just try my luck" at car sales, sorry but you boil my piss..................

so why anyone's offering advice is beyond me , sorry lads :)

Thank you, mates. At least got two answers and one advise for the original question already. Not too bad. A happy day. :)

Edited by Lucas

10 hours ago, Max Branning said:

What is wrong with starting small and building up gradually? 

This. Especially when your experience is non existent.

Lucas, you said someone will run it, but will they do the buying too? Who will inspect, buy, collect, take to MOT/Bodyshop/mechanic/PDI? Who will valet? Who will price up, who will advertise, who will do the paperwork, who will do the sales, who will deal with after sales, who will deal with accounts?

Who do you trust to do all this and do it properly, so that your hard earned money is safe? Every businessman who ever started something ran it himself first (short of Henry Ford who employed people skilled in the field). So either you find several people with solid CVs who will do it all for you, or you find one person who's experienced as a trader and can do all of that, and ask why he doesn't have his own business.

Thank you tradegiirl. I will probably handle the buying and accounting at the beginning. Hopefully can found one handle anything else. It's hard. Buy just try. 

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Thank you tradegiirl. I will probably handle the buying and accounting at the beginning. Hopefully can found one handle anything else. It's hard. Buy just try. 

I’d hope not as you’ve no idea what to buy, nothing personal but you’re flailing about like a broken kite 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

I’d hope not as you’ve no idea what to buy, nothing personal but you’re flailing about like a broken kite 

hi

just been catching up on my sunday times magazines

im up to sept

reading about a bloke called howard schultz? ive never used one of his products but he realized his dream

just sayin.........................

• Like 1

Mates, I have to confess that there is no way I could be an expert in any part of the car business even though give me a couple years. Believe or not, even though let me run it at home for a couple years, I will still not as good as anyone of you today in any part of the car business. I will not become a good salesman, a good machinic, a good buyer, or a good inspector. That already proved in my previous small businesses. I just can't do anything better than the member in my companies who has expertise in their job. So, there is really not necessary to required me to become an expert before to set up a business.

I really appreciated your concern and remind. Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, andymc1973 said:

Thank you. I know you have a good heart.

Edited by Lucas

4 hours ago, DPF said:

Roadside location 2 better less advertising costs. 

Thank you for your input. I also think of this way earlier last month. Then I sadly found out all the roadside car dealers in that area have all their stock listed on AT. Some have 30+ cars, some 60+ cars, and some have 120+ cars. They still paying a lot to AT. Looks like they're not saving any advertisement fees. Really, until now, I can't find any dealer in my target area who is not realised on AT. This is good news, but also bad news. 

Despite the fact that AT rule the used car buy and sell market. But roadside, somehow still attracted me. That is why I have to ask this question here to get more opinions. Thanks.

Edited by Lucas

Lucas i used to work at councils.

UK councils claim they are penniless yet they can afford to hire several consultants on £800 per day per consultant. Some councils have several consultants. They cause more cock ups and leave.

I am young and innovative and will charge £400 per day to run your business or provide you with advice. 

I am being serious.