Sign in to follow this  
Lucas

Comparing two sites: Unit vs Roadside

There are two locations. Let's say the rents are almost the same. In this case, which one will you pick: 

Location 1: A 3,500 sqft industrial unit with two parking space in front. 15 minutes drive from home.

Location 2: A roadside site with forecourt (fit 7 to 10 cars) + small office + backyard (fit 30 cars). 50 minutes drive from home.

Which one will you pick? Why?

Edited by Lucas

I can't see the benefit to take both as they are far away from each other. So, I am thinking to take only one of them.

I’d go for the unit.

1 - Only 15 mins away, not 50. (When potential customers don’t turn up, you’ve only wasted 30 mins in the car, not nearly 2 hours!)

2- Cars are more secure, will stay dry and clean inside. 

3 - Roadside/passing trade is a thing of the past, most people search on line first, so not an advantage. (You’d get the odd walk in but a forecourt of just 7 wouldn’t make many stop by, they don’t know there’s 30 more round the back)

4 - The unit would hold as many as the pitch/yard. If my maths are right!!

• Like 1

^ What he said.

But before diving it at the deep end, would it be a good idea to get a few sales under your belt to get a feel for what sells well for you?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I can't see the benefit to take both as they are far away from each other. So, I am thinking to take only one of them.

Just take it up the arse, it’ll be quicker and less painful 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D&M said:

^ What he said.

But before diving it at the deep end, would it be a good idea to get a few sales under your belt to get a feel for what sells well for you?

Thanks. Your suggestion is absolutely a right and good idea. However, I decided to setup a site regardless how many cars (or even no any cars) I sold beforehand. The fact is that I am not a good salesman (not even qualified!). So, I know I will never do as good as any one of you by myself (not even close!). So, the plan is to build a business model as I always did in my other businesses. I will hire someone to run it. Yes, it is diffrercult. But I do want to try my luck. :)

I appreciated for any input.

Edited by Lucas

16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Thanks. Your suggestion is absolutely a right and good idea. However, I decided to setup a site regardless how many cars (or even no any cars) I sold beforehand. The fact is that I am not a good salesman (I am not even qualified!). So, I know I will never do better than any one of you by myself. So, the plan is to build a business model as I always did in my other businesses. I will hire someone to run it. Yes, it is diffrercult. But I do want to try my luck. :)

Lucas can I ask why cars? What's the attraction with car sales? Even with someone running it you still believe you will get a return on your investment and then some? 

Lucas i used that emoji for the very reason you seem to be asking the same thing a million times over and ignoring the advice given.

I don't mind running it for you...after all its your money and it seems like you want to throw it away so i dont mind having an attempt at running it... 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MrV said:

Lucas can I ask why cars? What's the attraction with car sales? Even with someone running it you still believe you will get a return on your investment and then some? 

Why not? All the businesses are risky.

I am not saying I believe that I will get return on my investment. I just trying my luck. 

38 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Lucas i used that emoji for the very reason you seem to be asking the same thing a million times over and ignoring the advice given.

I don't mind running it for you...after all its your money and it seems like you want to throw it away so i dont mind having an attempt at running it... 

Thank you. And, sorry mates. I think this is the first time I ask this question for picking one location out of two options.  Despite, I may asked some similar questions regarding location before.

People might think whatever I asked are stupid questions. Most of you think I should not even get into the car business at all based on the facts that etc.etc. So, maybe this make people feel like: what? Lucas, you still asking such stupid questions? I told you not to do that business million times already. You just don't listen!

I do listening. I have to say: Yes, you guys are right. I shouldn't do it because that is not a good fit. I totally understand you guys want to save me. I really appretiated. Thank you! But decision made. I can't always regret or change my mind. So, I will just do it.

Edited by Lucas

9 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

:lol::lol::lol:

13 hours ago, Lucas said:

There are two locations. Let's say the rents are almost the same. In this case, which one will you pick: 

Location 1: A 3,500 sqft industrial unit with two parking space in front. 15 minutes drive from home.

Location 2: A roadside site with forecourt (fit 7 to 10 cars) + small office + backyard (fit 30 cars). 50 minutes drive from home.

Which one will you pick? Why?

What is the cost of these premises?

Have you calculated how many cars a year you would need to sell in order to break even after all known expenses ?

With no experience you will burn money very quickly, do not expect to rent a flash unit stick a load of cars in and start making money.

What is wrong with starting small and building up gradually? 

• Like 2

Imagine if it was me that had started the threads Lucas has! I find it hilarious that because we all believe he's a rich successful business man these questions aren't as offending as they would be if a newbie like me had asked them. Seriously come on this guy HAS to be yanking our sausages

16 minutes ago, MrV said:

Imagine if it was me that had started the threads Lucas has! I find it hilarious that because we all believe he's a rich successful business man these questions aren't as offending as they would be if a newbie like me had asked them. Seriously come on this guy HAS to be yanking our sausages

I have been saying that since day 1.5 unless you win the lottery or are gifted a running company there is no way anyone could build up a considerable amount of disposable money and ask such questions even if i was going to work in nasa tomorrow i wouldnt be so naive.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, justina3 said:

I have been saying that since day 1.5 unless you win the lottery or are gifted a running company there is no way anyone could build up a considerable amount of disposable money and ask such questions even if i was going to work in nasa tomorrow i wouldnt be so naive.  

It's ridiculous yet Lucas receives a certain level of "respect" no one else would get 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrV said:

It's ridiculous yet Lucas receives a certain level of "respect" no one else would get 

I think your confusing seasonal good manners with respect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Branning said:

What is the cost of these premises?

Have you calculated how many cars a year you would need to sell in order to break even after all known expenses ?

With no experience you will burn money very quickly, do not expect to rent a flash unit stick a load of cars in and start making money.

What is wrong with starting small and building up gradually? 

Thank you! It's £35K annual inclusive. I think it needs 100+ cars to break even. 

Nothing wrong with starting small. It just that I consider doing 5 cars at home is not a business. I could be most certainly wrong at some point by doing it bigger than my poor skill. But risk is every where, we have to take the risk sometimes.

12 hours ago, MAP said:

I’d go for the unit.

Thank you for the answer. Good points!

Edited by Lucas

This has to be Benji trying to annoy us all over again, take your £200K and have a year long holiday. 

I'm going to offer you the opportunity of a life time, 1 rented premises & rented pitch low over heads incl Workshop, £30K worth of cars (20 cars ready to go).. in a nut shell this is a business in a box all for the small price of £200K.

Then I will go and have a year long holiday using your kesh.

12 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Only one mate actually answered the question! Other are questioning me. That's fun. :D

50 minutes ago, AutoJacob said:

This has to be Benji trying to annoy us all over again, take your £200K and have a year long holiday. 

I'm going to offer you the opportunity of a life time, 1 rented premises & rented pitch low over heads incl Workshop, £30K worth of cars (20 cars ready to go).. in a nut shell this is a business in a box all for the small price of £200K.

Then I will go and have a year long holiday using your kesh.

This is not my level AutoJ :P

Go for the Unit. 15 min drive will be excellent versus 50.

How soon can you start? we want the next installment ASAP. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, justlooking said:

Go for the Unit. 15 min drive will be excellent versus 50.

How soon can you start? we want the next installment ASAP. 

Do we ? I