twerp

FAO Scottish Dave

Merry Christmas all 

Any idea why a 2017 E350 CDI cut out and won't start after going through a 1 ft ford ?

Some sort of fuel pump cut ? Something needs to be reset?

It's only 1 foot so no chance there

I don't have all the details, but I think it hit the water too quick and upset the SRS system

It will be under warranty still, perhaps don’t mention the ford when you book it in your local MB dealer. 

7 hours ago, twerp said:

Merry Christmas all 

Any idea why a 2017 E350 CDI cut out and won't start after going through a 1 ft ford ?

Some sort of fuel pump cut ? Something needs to be reset?

The drivers brain needs resetting.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cold air intake is 11 inches off the ground

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

The drivers brain needs resetting.

Don't get me started !

A few years back had a customer bought a Peugeot 307 2.0HDi from us, after about a couple of weeks the lady drove through a ford (she admitted it) and the car conked out and would not start again, she made a claim under the warranty we gave her (in house). We did not even offer to look at it as it was her own fault as she should not of attempted to go through deep water. She went to Trading Standards, they also said that we are not liable. Chances are if the car goes to the main dealer they will pick up the water damage.   

11 hours ago, met said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the cold air intake is 11 inches off the ground

+1

What kind of fucking moronic arsehole would drive a fully electronic, virtually autonomous Car through a Ford :rolleyes:

And you can bet your life if the dumb assed punter says it was 12" of Water it would have been at very least 24" to 36" 

And yes, if MB get that back with a bent rod and water in the Cylinder you will have one very sorry punter.

Make it quite clear from the outset that this will not be covered by Warranty.

Get the Car back, and get the Dash Cam footage off the Telematics ;)

This Car has many Cameras that give 360 degree vision ;)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

What kind of fucking moronic arsehole would drive a fully electronic, virtually autonomous Car through a Ford :rolleyes:

And you can bet your life if the dumb assed punter says it was 12" of Water it would have been at very least 24" to 36" 

And yes, if MB get that back with a bent rod and water in the Cylinder you will have one very sorry punter.

Make it quite clear from the outset that this will not be covered by Warranty.

Get the Car back, and get the Dash Cam footage off the Telematics ;)

This Car has many Cameras that give 360 degree vision ;)

:blink:

is is that the answer you wanted twerp? 

Im guessing it’s a very close relative ? 

He was probably looking more for a combination of a couple of buttons to be pressed on the steering wheel but I feel restarting this car will involve a bit more than this...

• Like 1

Many years ago we had a customer who drove through a ford and water ingestion wrecked the engine. Somehow she managed to convince her "road risk " insurer to pay for an engine rebuild.

Water was confirmed 1 ft because I went there to check !

If I can manage 1.25 ft in lower cars I'm certain it hasn't drawn water in

Thanks all

14 minutes ago, twerp said:

Water was confirmed 1 ft because I went there to check !

If I can manage 1.25 ft in lower cars I'm certain it hasn't drawn water in

Thanks all

How fast was the car moving through the water? 

As Mae west would say its not the length you need to worry about but what you can do with it ,in this case a bow wave can be accomplished in no time at all,would I take any car after a mk5 cortuna through a Ford ,,,? definitely noooooooooooooo

Edited by boring dave

French cars often have their air intake high up. German cars often have their air intake low down. Of course this may have no bearing whatsoever on this car and the numbskull behind the wheel but I fully agree with Dave2302’s initial comment.

Don’t get involved. I smell a punter/relative who’s fucked up and will waste plenty of YOUR time trying to sort out THEIR mess. Wish them good luck & tell them to get on with it themselves! You never know, this could be a minor problem...........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, met said:

How fast was the car moving through the water? 

I'm away and don't have all the details. But they wouldn't have driven at speed, thats for sure. 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

French cars often have their air intake high up. German cars often have their air intake low down. Of course this may have no bearing whatsoever on this car and the numbskull behind the wheel but I fully agree with Dave2302’s initial comment.

Don’t get involved. I smell a punter/relative who’s fucked up and will waste plenty of YOUR time trying to sort out THEIR mess. Wish them good luck & tell them to get on with it themselves! You never know, this could be a minor problem...........

I'm certain no water has been ingested. The air intakes on most Merc are high and is on this car :

1613442d1488136499-driven-2017-mercedes-

Edited by twerp

It’s not the splash from the Mercedes that causes the problem, it’s the tidal wave from the car coming in the other direction that’s the problem. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stalker said:

It’s not the splash from the Mercedes that causes the problem, it’s the tidal wave from the car coming in the other direction that’s the problem. 

... even at quite low speed a car acts like a boat cleaving through the water creating a bow wave. People think the way to cross water is as quickly as possible, far from it

You realise 1ft = 12 inches ?

I drive through it all the time - no chance of a wave or sucking up water

22 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

He was probably looking more for a combination of a couple of buttons to be pressed on the steering wheel but I feel restarting this car will involve a bit more than this...

100% + 1

I would also love to see the footage from the Cameras, and hear the conversation in the Cabin just after it cut dead !! 

MB are probably already aware of this, I'm surprised there hasn't been a phone call to them yet, perhaps they didn't have a phone BT'd to the car :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Dave, my Viano’s air kompressor over the last few weeks “when remote opening the car” has started to groan a lot more often ending with a chuff of air ? It’s driving perfectly well with no issues...but occasionally when left for a while it sags slightly on the OSR.... what are your thoughts? S