Auto Evo

Complaint - customer demand return car

Hi All

I`m new to business selling for about a year now.

I just had a customer calling me that Vauxhall Astra 2010 1.6 petrol  SRI I sold 30/09/18 blow a head gasket.

Basically says that head gasket gone due to water pump fail. Also moaning that gearbox won`t go on first gear strange was fine ever before.

It is still within his first 30 days.

When I sold car had fresh MOT no advisories 135k on the clock but no service history at £2.5k. 

Two weeks after he bought a car he called me that car leaking oil on to the exhaust fumes all over. I try to help him as he was a bit far about 100 miles away. He went to local garage to find out what is wrong with the car and said that some oil filter ring gone cost 130 pounds. Offered him 100 pound refund as good will gesture.

Now he want to return the car nothing else due to head gasket.

Still waiting for report from his garage to confirm what he is saying is correct.

Car was spot on when I sold it and had nice fresh MOT.

He collected the car did not even want to test drive it or look just paid an took car away, after he drove back 100 miles and send me text that car is spot on and he is happy.

Any help and thoughts from more experienced members would be appreciate please ?

What I can do what is my rights on that from experience ? 

All is fresh now no decision I made as yet. What would you do?

Edited by Auto Evo

If the faults are real then he is within his right to return. Minus 50p per mile

First post & milking us for info? Come on, screw your heads on lads.

I’ll stick my head above the parapet & say I’m sick of these parasites.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BHM said:

First post & milking us for info? Come on, screw your heads on lads.

I’ll stick my head above the parapet & say I’m sick of these parasites.

Seconded. 

As I've said before, things on here need to tweaked. I'd start with nobody being able to start a new thread without a certain number of posts under their belt.

1 hour ago, MrC said:

If the faults are real then he is within his right to return. Minus 50p per mile

Unfortunately this is wrong.

within the first 30 days you cannot make any deductions 

Hi Auto Evo

For a start,I would suggest when you download your copy of How to be Car Dealer,go to section 4 and read parts 9 and 10 and include that in your business plan.

If an independent report comes back stating the head gasket has indeed failed then the customer is within their right to reject within the first 30 days as it would have clearly been developing at point of sale.

As david says it is a full refund with no deductions allowed for use within the first 30 days. 

Sounds like ya gonna be in for a blue on this one matey .... welcome to life as a car dealer, refund him,  fix it, move on, 

Easy peasy: refund it. No arguments.

I wouldn’t be retailing no history 135k VX petrols!

• Like 1

Hi

Thank you all for great advice.

That is what i thought anyway refund and move on, no harm  at all, if all its true what he mention over the phone I will get it fixed and sell anyway.

Question: How do i handle complain? So far i got big fat text that is all fuc##d on the car. Should I tell him to follow complain procedure and send me  a formal complaint? 

Need a bit of time to to sort some cash out as most of it gone for new stock.  Any advice how to drag this in time let say 3 weeks without any harm.

Need a bit of time to to sort some cash out as most of it gone for new stock.  Any advice how to drag this in time let say 3 weeks without any harm.

Do you really want the billy driving your car to destruction for next 3 weeks?? If he ain’t bothered bout watching temp gauge you run the risk of getting a bag of bits back.... get it back ASAP and I would advise asking him mileage then telling him to lock it up securely and not drive it... get it collected ASAP 

49 minutes ago, tradex said:

Waterpump failed, then 'driven to destruction'. 

Customer has a duty of care, s'why there is a device called a temperature gauge fitted in cars. 

Vauxhall in their wisdom removed all temperature gauges... as they informed customers the exact moment their cars were failing...

So, are we now saying that anyone who wants to post needs to have downloaded the Doc? Free to read but subscribe to post?

For me it’s as above, download the document/Lawgistics, but where has this fault  ‘developing’ bit come from? 

If you’ve not pissed your punter off, I would get the junk back and fix it sharpish, or refund them and learn the first of many lessons to come.  

1 hour ago, tradex said:

within the first 30 days you cannot make any deductions  

Wrong, thankfully. 

Popcorn time again:D

I’ll show you mine (reference) if you show me yours! 

From which magazine. 

“The retailer can't make any deductions from your refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.

The only exception to this rule is motor vehicles, where the retailer may make a reasonable reduction for the use you've already had of the vehicle after the first 30 days.”

Note the word after.

I prefer sweet popcorn.

Edited by David Ayers

16 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

I’ll show you mine (reference) if you show me yours! 

From which magazine. 

“The retailer can't make any deductions from your refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.

The only exception to this rule is motor vehicles, where the retailer may make a reasonable reduction for the use you've already had of the vehicle after the first 30 days.”

Note the word after.

I prefer sweet popcorn.

I agree with everything you've stated, except - it has to be be salted popcorn

No service history , 135,000 miles  for £2.5k and you didn't expect it back .

Brave in my view , Only one place for that end of life heap "night auction " 

Refund , get it back , spin that for 3 weeks and you will need a skip , 

Lesson learned the hard way "ouch " 

ps you also need to keep a slush fund in your bank . 

9 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

No no no toffee popcorn

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

No no no toffee popcorn

12 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Ha ha. 

Let’s have a debate about what popcorn to have while watching a ‘debate”

to summarise  (no popcorn was harmed in the making of this post)

if its confirmed h/g popped its cherry

you need to

pay to have car returned

pay garage if necessary

refund customer with no deductions

decide what you are going to do with the paperweight because depending which crap engine is fitted most of them have metal gaskets that once compromised also end up with a badly warped head that most reconditioners wont touch

note to yourself that vauvhall was sold to the surrender monkeys for a reason

Another chancer asking for advice. How can I delay giving him money back for 3 weeks because I've spent it all? Get an overdraft, run your business professionally, if you cant afford to refund him, how will you have enough to fix it???? 

Stop being lazy, go and read the CRA 2015 yourself. If youve been selling for a year you should know what your responsibilities are by now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MattR said:

Another chancer asking for advice. How can I delay giving him money back for 3 weeks because I've spent it all? Get an overdraft, run your business professionally, if you cant afford to refund him, how will you have enough to fix it???? 

Stop being lazy, go and read the CRA 2015 yourself. If youve been selling for a year you should know what your responsibilities are by now. 

Bang on there 

To be fair to the OP if you go by the word of the CRA this is in muddy waters.

In the first 30 days it is up to the customer to prove there was a fault present at time of sale if he wishes to use his short term right to reject.

The customer has stated the head gasket has failed due to the water pump going. So has admitted this problem occurred after the sale. 

The OP has also paid £100 replacing “some oil filter ring” which if it’s the bit I’m thinking of comes with a new oil filter for £10. 

Saying all that I would get it back and inspected. Refund if it has gone and move on.

6 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

The OP has also paid £100 replacing “some oil filter ring” which if it’s the bit I’m thinking of comes with a new oil filter for £10. 

Expert knowledge of these engines would suggest it to be more likely to be, the seal between the filter housing and the block.