Sign in to follow this  
Marc

An odd one

I went to view a car yesterday, decent enough motor . I carried out the necessary -Original VIN ,hpi check etc everything being as it should. 

On the v5 I noticed in special notes it states registered or used elsewhere in the UK declared manufacture 2010. I had an inclination this could cause some trouble so I didn't proceed with deal there and then. 

I phoned dvla today and they said the car is legal, matches our record. Where the problem lies is trying to insure. I queried car with My motor trader insurance and they said problems!, don't know why but it's not coming up..they requested photos of v5 to show underwriters which I've sent tonight. 

Has any of you chaps come across something similar? For some reason insurance companies do not recognise the reg and same with some valuation sites. 

Sounds like an imported car - quite common back then with all the car supermarkets

it most likely came from ireland but also possibly jersey or isle of man

it causes a problem because it wasnt first registered in the uk for the dvla database which insurers depend on

it might cause problems for some insurers but not for an independent broker

if car good price and sellable it wouldnt totally put me off

Edited by boring dave

7 minutes ago, Marc said:

On the v5 I noticed in special notes it states registered or used elsewhere in the UK declared manufacture 2010. I had an inclination this could cause some trouble so I didn't proceed with deal there and then. 

Probably imported from NI and re-registered from their XXX1111 NI plates to a more normal age related UK one. I would've chipped the seller and bought it there and then. 

I've bought cars from northern Ireland before, didn't cause me much bother. it's not imported according to hpi check. It's a Ford focus sj60gfk

Edited by Marc

Yeah it's actually good car, full service history and a brilliant price .i go to odd places to buy cars.. this one was a ferry job and I thought that was main reason for the good value. my worry is potential customer trying to insure. My motor trader insurance wouldnt cover the car in first instance. 

Had no end like this.

Like others had said probably an ex rental from Jersey or form N Ireland.

We used to get some the RAF lads had bought tax free when stationed abroad and the ones the car supermarkets bought in Europe.

Only time it was an issue was when the Vauxhall’s were badged Opels.

Suggest you get a quote via compare the market etc.

Edited by David Ayers

Yeah I tried masquerading as a Joe bloggs customer looking for insurance, it didn't accept reg to quote. I'm guessing it'll be same as my trade insurance and they'll request v5 etc. Bit of a pain explaining that to a customer before buying the car. What would be ideal is for insurance companies to recognize the car the way the dvla can! 

It wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference. Why you’d point it out to a customer is beyond me, this simply isn’t an issue.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

It wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference. Why you’d point it out to a customer is beyond me, this simply isn’t an issue.

he might as well point out the customer before the customer goes off into the sunset and then finds the reg plate isnt being excepted in the usual search engines they will only ring him back thinking the worst. 

I had it years ago

it was a honda precinct or something

anyway lovely african bought it drove it away auto too

anyway he rang up next day saying am avin problems man

we laughed about it for years if someone ever mentioned it

23 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Had no end like this.

Like others had said probably an ex rental from Jersey or form N Ireland.

We used to get some the RAF lads had bought tax free when stationed abroad and the ones the car supermarkets bought in Europe.

Only time it was an issue was when the Vauxhall’s were badged Opels.

Suggest you get a quote via compare the market etc.

Ah the good old days where you could earn good money from ex forces cars.

Sounds Irish. Our old insurer wouldn't cover us on imports, but they were good sellers anyway. Can't get hold of many now.