Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

Your thoughts on Ford/Volvo Powershift Gearboxes ?

I have only bought one and it was fucked, said I would never buy another but have just been offered another.... What are your feelings on reliability ? 

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I have only bought one and it was fucked, said I would never buy another but have just been offered another.... What are your feelings on reliability ? 

Powershit from what i can gather....

But he who dares rodders.

I’ve had plenty in Volvos and have all been OK, but all at nice miles. 

I dodged a bullet on one the other day though but luckily it was a private sale so I could spank it before handing the dosh over. 

I had a Bmax in PX at a ridiculously low price though and I knew something was up. It was, but bizarrely a new battery and a reset sorted it out! Was lucky that time.

9 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I would leave it unless coming in PX. It’s diesel too is it?

Yes, I swore never to buy another......

Thanks 

35 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Powershit from what i can gather....

2 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

They call them PowerShit. 

Horrible boxes. 

Thanks guys, I needed reminding :) 

Had a neighbour have a mondeo on a 12 plate 42k and the same box went to much ford stand by the boxes up to 5 years old so he was told, had to part ex it for pennies 

They require regular fluid changes otherwise the actuators get gummed up and the clutch packs wear prematurely.

The Fiesta / C Max / Focus (petrol) have a 'dry' system and are totally different.

Edited by twerp
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Thanks 

Thanks guys, I needed reminding :) 

As you always tell me sensei, follow your gut 

23 minutes ago, EPV said:

As you always tell me sensei, follow your gut 

Now your making me blush, believe it or not I used to be in the British juniors Judo squad back in the days of Brian Jacks’s fame. 

We had a Ford Powershift which took about a year to put right, and even then it wasn't 100%. Never again.

I know they're the same thing, but I'd like to think the Volvo ones are slightly more reliable. Even though that's just a trick to calm myself down when I buy/drive a Volvo one.

Never had an issue with one...but yeah, they're shit. Not as bad as all the 08 - 11 plate PSA crap we get though. Autos...love them but it's always a roll of the dice for us.

Bought a v50 once........... Never again. Absolute grief, headache and a massive loss from it. 

They don't work " simples " not if but when :)

You just have to hope its 6 months plus down the line if your brave enough to retail .

We dispose is if taken as PX and the customer gets offered shall we say less than little for them . 

Retail one , NEVER not ever . 

17 hours ago, tradegirl said:

We had a Ford Powershift which took about a year to put right, and even then it wasn't 100%. Never again.

I know they're the same thing, but I'd like to think the Volvo ones are slightly more reliable. Even though that's just a trick to calm myself down when I buy/drive a Volvo one.

We had and Alfa Romeo with a Sillyspeed gearbox.... that took more than a year!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Now your making me blush, believe it or not I used to be in the British juniors Judo squad back in the days of Brian Jacks’s fame. 

Brian, and more so his bro Shane were buddies of mine, used to Barefoot Waterski with Shane a lot ;)

And back to the Transmissions, yeah, they are all shit now, that's why we got out of the Auto Box Game when we did.

About the only Trans I'd rebuild now for a Customer is a Merc 5 Spd 722.6 Auto, once fixed they stay fixed, everything else is just a lottery :(

I like the Vovlo powershift, like to smoke the odd one and would avoid a manual if it came on the radar, old habits nothing more.. Can I ask, is all this above in relation to the Ford ?? Almost pulled the trigger on a Kuga with powershift last week but walked away.. The powershift comments have my bloody eyebrows across my forehead.. I'm auction bound for a full english in the morning too!

Edited by Area 51

On 19/09/2018 at 7:45 PM, Arfur Dealy said:

Remind your customers of that and add a bit of a Connor McGregor walk at the start of your Videos- Won't be getting any attempted warranty claims then :lol:

Powershift boxes must must have the fluid changed regularly. A lot of people dont bother because you are looking at £200. But if i was selling one I would make sure i had the margin in it to change the fluid before it left the forecourt.

On 20/09/2018 at 5:56 PM, Dave2302 said:

About the only Trans I'd rebuild now for a Customer is a Merc 5 Spd 722.6 Auto, once fixed they stay fixed, everything else is just a lottery :(

I've PM'ed you about the Merc box to pick your brain... Hope you don't mind!

• Like 1

On 21/09/2018 at 9:24 AM, Rory RSC said:

Remind your customers of that and add a bit of a Connor McGregor walk at the start of your Videos- Won't be getting any attempted warranty claims then :lol:

Lol the ‘Billy walk’!