Sign in to follow this  
ASCAndrey

30 year old car complaint

I cannot find my login so this looks like my very first post! Ive used the forum before and it has been very helpful!

I have a customer who i believe is being unreasonable. He bought a 1990 bmw with 197,000 miles on the clock and is complaining to me about the following:

- Coolant level sender being broken

- The revs drop just below idle when you just rev the car. He says this is due to spark plugs, air filter and service being due along with the throttle body needing a clean.

He bought the without seeing it, on the phone and had it delivered. There was huge demand for it because it was very cheap and the bodywork is spotless. 

He is now saying that i need to pay him £317 to pay for new spark plugs, air filter, cleaning throttle body, adjusting idle and the coolant sender, I think this is astronomical considering the car was £2000! I offered to pay £97 for the coolant sender but i told him i'm not prepared to pay for a service. the car wasn't sold with any indication of it being recently serviced.

He is repeatedly sending me text messages with 'i suggest you send me the money otherwise ill go to small claims court' which i feel like he is trying to bully me into it. (fool)

I have offered £97 and he has declined. Do you think i should let him take this to small claims court?

As of today he is also claiming that it has an oil leak. but its just oil 'sweat' which doesnt really drop it has been under-sealed so it all looks greasy!

Thanks in advance!

Two ways of dealing with this fool:

A) Give him his money back less 40 per mile and sell it again for a tad more money if there was so much interest.

B  ) Tell him to do his worst at court and take your chance.

C) Pay him what he's asking or what you're offering, but get it in writing that this is a one off goodwill gesture and his accepting your payment absolves you from any future comebacks, conversations (text or otherwise) about the car.

For what it's worth - I would go for A as you can't argue with a fool.

If you go for C then he must return it to you to investigate and deal with.  Could just be a liar as well as a fool.

Good luck!

Sounds like a complete chancer to me! Threatening you via text message...... :rolleyes:

He bought the without seeing it, on the phone and had it delivered.

are you mad

its 28 years old man

it needs seeing and then paperwork handing over wherever you are based and he drives off into the sun/ rain

this is a classic shirt lifting episode by your punter

Edited by boring dave

Why are you entertaining him? you say there was huge demand for the car so do you need grief? tell him if he is unhappy with the car to get it back to you ASAP and you will refund him as you dont want unhappy customers,,,, then sell it again.

• Like 1

I would suggest telling him to ring you. Then ignore any future texts. If he does ring tell him you need to inspect the vehicle. As Simon will tell you maintaing a classic car like this is part of the fun of owning it.

• Like 2

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but how long has he had it? 

18 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Why was it 2 grand ?

Modern classic?:ph34r:

57 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Why was it 2 grand ?

My first thought was "well done for getting 2 grand for that!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boring dave said:

He bought the without seeing it, on the phone and had it delivered.

are you mad

its 28 years old man

it needs seeing and then paperwork handing over wherever you are based and he drives off into the sun/ rain

this is a classic shirt lifting episode by your punter

+1

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Why was it 2 grand ?

I honestly just assumed it was a typo! 

28 minutes ago, EPV said:

My first thought was "well done for getting 2 grand for that!"

Very well done indeed although now the seller is reaping their reward for selling to the idiot.

What a funny game this industry is! :lol:

• Like 1

Our reply to this customer would be 'see you in court'. What an idiot! Just fu@k him off mate. ffs...they all seem to come out of the woodwork when its quiet.

I have pasted  just a few bits from our invoices t&c's. It may be useful to perhaps use similar wording on your invoices too. It can help sometimes.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ALL PARTS AND MECHANICAL ITEMS OF THIS VEHICLE ARE WORN RELATIVE TO ITS MILEAGE AND AGE AND WILL REQUIRE ONGOING ROUTINE MAINTENANCE ACCORDINGLY.

I CONFIRM THAT I HAVE INSPECTED & DRIVEN THIS CAR, INCLUDING THE BODYWORK, WHEELS, TYRES, & INTERIOR TRIM & CAN CONFIRM THERE ARE NO FAULTS, INC MECHANICAL OR ELECTRICAL PRESENT AT THE POINT OF PURCHASE APART FROM ANY DISCUSSED.

ANY WARRANTIES AND COMPLAINTS ARE VOIDED IF ANY PARTS OF THE CAR ARE DISMANTLED BY A 3RD PARTY, WITHOUT OUR PRIOR WRITTEN AGREEMENT & CONSENT DURING ANY WARRANTY PERIOD. RECOVERY COSTS ARE NOT COVERED, PLEASE ENSURE YOUR VEHICLE HAS A RELAY/RECOVERY SERVICE. YOUR CONSUMER RIGHTS ARE NOT AFFECTED.

• Like 4

When you remove somebody's pants on an old shed, they are always going to pick fault and try and get one back on you in my book....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stalker said:

When you remove somebody's pants on an old shed, they are always going to pick fault and try and get one back on you in my book....

LIKE. 

3 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Like! 

He’s probably told his mates down the pub and they laughed him out the door! Particularly as one of them will have a 2004 e46 for less money! 

Edited by Del Boy

4 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

What a Cretin. Why are you entertaining him, tell him to jog on. 

This is what he’s trying to do to you & this should be your response........

• Like 1

get it checked out by your mechanic. And talk, dont text. He wants texts for 'proof' in a small claims court.

On 30/08/2018 at 1:48 PM, ASCAndrey said:

There was huge demand for it because it was very cheap and the bodywork is spotless. 

What model is it? I'm clearly in the wrong game.

I'd say you're liable for the sender and bugger all else.