Just renewed my trade insurance and have been told by the broker that the only cars that need to be on the Database are ones that are taxed, in my case, my van and my trade plates. In the past as soon as a car/van comes in I've put it on, wether part ex or block purchase and then took it off when the customer drives off.....I thought the whole point of MID was so the car can be tracked back to you as obviously we are not on the log book......CONFUSED:wacko:

Correct ! Trade plates and vehicle you use /taxed vehicles only. Been like that for a while :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

Just renewed my trade insurance and have been told by the broker that the only cars that need to be on the Database are ones that are taxed, in my case, my van and my trade plates. In the past as soon as a car/van comes in I've put it on, wether part ex or block purchase and then took it off when the customer drives off.....I thought the whole point of MID was so the car can be tracked back to you as obviously we are not on the log book......CONFUSED:wacko:

The DVLA can track you down fairly easily in the sense that when you take a vehicle into the trade you put all your details on the yellow slip/online? 

On my MID Tradewise - I get the option to state whether the vehicle is for sale or own use.  Moreover, I was told that vehicles need to be added with 14 days of acquisition.

Just in case, I will continue to add every vehicle which is in my custody or control - it takes 20 seconds and remove once sold - another 20 seconds.

Edited by Mark101

8 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Moreover, I was told that vehicles need to be added with 14 days of acquisition.

That's what we have in our T&C's - can have a car for 14 days before adding it to the MID

Same here. I was actually sent an email from my broker a couple of months back saying I hadn’t updated MID in a while and I needed to add some cars otherwise my policy would be terminated.

If it is in trade you will be using your trade plates on it, that is why they need to be on the MID and the individual cars don't.... We used to enter and remove them all for fear of getting pulled, then we were told otherwise, if your in any doubt speak directly with your insurer and do what they suggest, you can't go wrong that way, just keep a record of the date and time and who you spoke to/ what they said.  Paper trail for peace of mind...

I’ve just renewed & wasn’t told that - add all vehicles as normal.

Tbh with the phone app it’s the work of a moment so I’m happy to continue as is.

My broker told us to only add our own cars rather than adding all the stock cars at renewal :blink: At least thats what I thought.

I use Roadrunner/Aston Scott and all my stock has to be added if in my control for more than 5 days i think but I usually forget anyway :mellow:

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Just in case, I will continue to add every vehicle which is in my custody or control

My broker from Aston Scott said that although this is correct it is better if I don't add all. In the event of a car being sold and being involved in an uninsured accident with the new owner (easy to happen after 5 day Driveaway product expires) there could be a claim against the dealer as the last recorded party to have had "insured interest" in the vehicle. 

Got told the same from our broker last week. Was news to me! I always assumed it was 14 days grace and then make sure it's on MID and remove when sold...he looked at me like I was mad! Going to save me a couple of hours a week which is great!

Used to be to add all the vehicles in stock and up to 14 days to put them on , however they changed the rules and only those which are in use/taxed, I used to think best put them all on but was told not to do so. Saves a load of hassle so just doing what I'm told. #simples :) 

I disagree with the majority on here.  It takes seconds to add or remove a vehicle from MID/cover.

Just wait until you get one nicked and your insurance say it wasn't on the MID - or go through an ANPR en route to MOT, Valet, Test Drive or the Like and it picks up the cars plate instead of the trade plate.

For me it's a no brainer and it also shows the insurance company that you're a proper trader - remember that post the other day about someone having to prove they're trading - well there's no doubt looking at my insurance portal.

It might be a bit belts and braces but if an ANPR equiped patrol car follows me, both the trade plates and the actual car are both shown as on cover - might save a pull for displaying TP's inside the car (which I will continue to do).

Edited by Mark101

In the grand scheme of things and as far as admin goes, I am very happy to add each car bought or sold to MID but if I could find a way around updating the bloody stock book with every single VIN, REG and CHASSIS detail, I would be a happy man - it is the ONLY part of the job I hate doing - I have always hated admin.

I don't buy as many as most of you, probably 3 a week on average but coming back and filling in the stock book, starting an excel sheet on that specific car, writing key tags out, preparing adverts etc is so time consuming and doing more than one at a time drives me mad.  I like buying them and I like selling them and the sooner my business can accomodate/replace two salaries the better (wife and I) - I do the buying, selling, garage stuff and she can manage the office (which is what she does now for a large dealer group).

34 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Just wait until you get one nicked and your insurance say it wasn't on the MID - or go through an ANPR en route to MOT, Valet, Test Drive or the Like and it picks up the cars plate instead of the trade plate.

Your car being insured and being on the MID are two different things. It gets nicked without keys, you get paid, MID or no MID. 

Being on the MID also does not help you as far ANPR is concerned. If it's on SORN and you drive by ANPR you'll get a fine if your plates are not displayed correctly. If it's "stock in trade" no problem. 

I've been told the same, only add cars that are taxed and being used by ourselves, the rest are on trade plates and they don't need to go on the MID.

• Like 1

Surely just good belt and braces practice to have all vehicles on the policy, in case you need a claim? 

Have also heard of some insurers who start to question trade policies if no vehicles have passed through, my ex father in law kept his trade policy when he retired, but used to have to whack a couple of my bits of stock on there every now and then to keep it "active".

We stock around 70 cars, only ones with road tax paid for by us are put on the MID (Courtesy cars, recovery truck, sooty van etc).

Other cars in stock that are sorn'd do not have to go on the MID.

Plus as has been mentioned, the trade plates must be on the MID too.

Adding every car that comes through your hands is definitely excessive.

On 6/30/2018 at 0:50 PM, Mark101 said:

I disagree with the majority on here.  It takes seconds to add or remove a vehicle from MID/cover.

For me it's a no brainer and it also shows the insurance company that you're a proper trader - remember that post the other day about someone having to prove they're trading - well there's no doubt looking at my insurance portal.

It might be a bit belts and braces but if an ANPR equiped patrol car follows me, both the trade plates and the actual car are both shown as on cover - might save a pull for displaying TP's inside the car (which I will continue to do).

Plus one

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Plus one

Plus two

It takes me thirty seconds to log on to my portal and add a car. Why anyone wouldn't do it is beyond me.

Same when sold it forms part of our internal check list, DVLA notified MID updated payment enclosed that kind of thing.

from the dvla,you know those people that take the road fund money

Motor traders - exceptions

If a vehicle is between registered keepers or registered as ‘in trade’ with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), it is excluded from continuous insurance enforcement.

Vehicles you keep for your own use are not excluded.

and then this from the MIB

Untaxed stock vehicles (i.e. driven on trade plates) need not be notified, although if it is easier simply to notify every vehicle, this is acceptable – in fact this is MIB’s preferred approach.

SO THERE YOU GO CLEAR AS A PROSTITUTE WITH MUD ON HER FACE 

Edited by chief nut job
ITS HOT..........

3 minutes ago, chief nut job said:

SO THERE YOU GO CLEAR AS A PROSTITUTE WITH MUD ON HER FACE 

You have met her too!

Very dirty....