Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

What's Your Preference?

i have never and will never turn my back on profit

ive had the dirty tricks played on me in my time but i always get even if its was only trotting a car up i wasnt really interested in then dropping out at the very last second

im not spending hours in a hole to not buy what im waiting for

they can all do one

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, met said:

What are you buying that you have no competition?

I didn’t say I didn’t have competition, I said they buy different stock. 

I'll buy what I want and pay what I want for it. You want it then pay for it. Toss a coin? If someone asked me that I would be struggling not to laugh in their face :lol::lol:

3 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

I'll buy what I want and pay what I want for it. You want it then pay for it. Toss a coin? If someone asked me that I would be struggling not to laugh in their face :lol::lol:

Agreed 100%

5 hours ago, BHM said:

You can always tell an “auction friend” - they always want a favour from you to stand aside but it’s never reciprocated. 

That's why I'm a miserable bugger and don't speak to anyone at the block, I keep myself to myself. Think that's why I like coming in here so much! :lol:

Blondes with big.... 

Sorry, read the thread title and got ahead of myself there. 

10 hours ago, met said:

Surely that's the game isn't it? "Knowledge is power", noticing something negative about a car puts you one up on the competition? We might all be mates on here, but not when we're competing to buy stock? 

Hi Met

I understand that but what I am talking about is when you are standing in the ring and you see something that is clearly a blatant catalogue error.The auctioneer usually welcomes your intervention,otherwise they will  just get aggravation from an online buyer.

9 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

There’s a bloke at Bristol that approaches me when I’m looking at a car he’s clearly interested in and asks me to “flip” for it.... we’re not mates and I don’t even know his name....... 

I just say I’m on a commission or I’m not really interested.....

The only other bidder I watch is the auctioneers eyes.....

I tell them that my ‘stay out ‘fee is £500......that usually gets rid of them....I particularly remember bidding for a Nissan Navara at Manheim Washington and it was just me and a trader standing next to me bidding.I said to him ‘it is on sale stop bidding and I will pay you £500.’He did,it was for nowt,I was pleased to pay him.I remember this because we quickly retailed it for good profit plus huge chucky commission which you did get ....back  in 2002.

Popped my "Online" cherry today - I do mean at BCA!

Having listened to all your opinions, one in particular - I went and viewed all my watched lots prior to bidding online (not quite as good as hearing the things run but with assured and a preview, surely going some way to damage limitation) - discounting 3 of 15 as scrap and coming away with about 12 viable options. I then came back to the home office, made a coffee and read this forum in between lots before bidding and winning.

I won two lots and will collect tomorrow - where I will probably get buyers remorse and want to turn the clock back - 2 BM's one cab, one hatch both reasonable mileage 60k ish and apart from a small scuff on the cabs bumper, look almost retail ready (obviously subject to PDI & Prep - fingers crossed).  Hatch £200 over book, Cab £500 below book.

Edited by Mark101
Missed the fact I bid online

11 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Popped my "Online" cherry today - I do mean at BCA!

Having listened to all your opinions, one in particular - I went and viewed all my watched lots prior to bidding online (not quite as good as hearing the things run but with assured and a preview, surely going some way to damage limitation) - discounting 3 of 15 as scrap and coming away with about 12 viable options. I then came back to the home office, made a coffee and read this forum in between lots before bidding and winning.

I won two lots and will collect tomorrow - where I will probably get buyers remorse and want to turn the clock back - 2 BM's one cab, one hatch both reasonable mileage 60k ish and apart from a small scuff on the cabs bumper, look almost retail ready (obviously subject to PDI & Prep - fingers crossed).  Hatch £200 over book, Cab £500 below book.

hi

hope it goes well

i spent my life standing in cold miserable holes waiting for cars that never came down the shoot

i now trust my intuition and buy online only

happy days

ps i do ruck up sometimes mind

• Like 1

10 hours ago, s and b said:

hi

hope it goes well

i spent my life standing in cold miserable holes waiting for cars that never came down the shoot

i now trust my intuition and buy online only

happy days

ps i do ruck up sometimes mind

Aye, happy days, or where they? The job has many downsides these days but online bidding is a huge positive for me. I've bought from both ends of the country this week without moving a muscle. All proxy bids as well so no time wasted.

Like you say, if you know what you are doing then the risk is slim. 

As for rucking up, no ta. I visited my local Wilsons recently for the first time is years. Nothing prepped, vague descriptions and nothing assured with no bonnets being popped up. In this day and age I don't think so, and to add to the misery, well it was very cosmopolitan to say the least.

We mostly, as in 90% buy online... we already have really low expectations of anything that goes through the block, so are always pleasantly surprised when they start on collection AND drive:huh:

To give you an idea about how popular online buying is now.About 2 months ago BCA Newcastle introduced a Leaseplan and UKCG premium sale on a new day.So I go along and stuff is doing a fortune but there a very few people there compared with a normal sale day.The next day I was back and asked one of the BCA office guys,how did you do.He told me that it had been a record day for the site and there had been about 120 different online bidders.

I have bought online but you cant beat going in person. I bought a car not long ago online my heart sank when i picked it up, rotten interior and more damage on bodywork than I thought. If you bid online just do it with caution. 

4 hours ago, Trident said:

We mostly, as in 90% buy online... we already have really low expectations of anything that goes through the block, so are always pleasantly surprised when they start on collection AND drive:huh:

This sadly sums up online buying. The auction houses have managed to create a situation where most of us expect to be 'mugged off' and see it as part of the process. The auction houses could do a lot more to improve online purchasing, but choose not to. Sad.

Fair play to BCA -

Online win 1 - damage not recorded on Appraisal (although I had seen it) - discount £250 agreed over returning vehicle.

Online win 2 - beautiful and came with full BMW history, top of the range Parrot media system and then - traction control fault upon collection.  I returned immedaitely to BCA whom have since booked in to BMW main dealer for repair.  If they cannot fix or it is uneconomical to fix (i.e. more than a speed sensor according to diagnostic AA patrol on site), they will cancel the sale - although I hope it gets fixed as it's a minter otherwise.

Last weeks Physical buy - Fiat 500 (with Assured) has since developed a bearing fault on the gearbox, unfortunately diagnosed outside of the 48 hr Assured timescale.

On the whole, I was treated fairly I think and I am pleased with the manner in which BCA treated me.  Only inconvenience was paying for a taxi there and back and then again tomorrow presuming the fault gets fixed.

28 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

F

Online win 2 - beautiful and came with full BMW history, top of the range Parrot media system and then - traction control fault upon collection.  I returned immedaitely to BCA whom have since booked in to BMW main dealer for repair.  If they cannot fix or it is uneconomical to fix (i.e. more than a speed sensor according to diagnostic AA patrol on site), they will cancel the sale - although I hope it gets fixed as it's a minter otherwise.

L

I am gobsmacked they are prepared to send it to a main stealer in all my years have never heard of an auction house offering that service. 

20 minutes ago, justina3 said:

I am gobsmacked they are prepared to send it to a main stealer in all my years have never heard of an auction house offering that service. 

Me too but the BMW dealer is literally a coupld of miles down the road and for a sensor, it'll be buttons with BCA buying power - me it'd cost £thousands which is why I was happy to take the deal rather than kick up a fuss.

14 hours ago, tradex said:

Maybe the vendor own's the dealer?

If not this is quite bizarre practice by BCA, good news for you though:D

agreed very bizarre, i have asked a few times over the years and been reminded its an auction house not argos (in similar words)

On 3/22/2018 at 3:40 PM, Mark101 said:

Fair play to BCA -

Online win 1 - damage not recorded on Appraisal (although I had seen it) - discount £250 agreed over returning vehicle.

Last weeks Physical buy - Fiat 500 (with Assured) has since developed a bearing fault on the gearbox, unfortunately diagnosed outside of the 48 hr Assured timescale.

On the whole, I was treated fairly I think and I am pleased with the manner in which BCA treated me.  Only inconvenience was paying for a taxi there and back and then again tomorrow presuming the fault gets fixed.

Keep us updated Mark, it'll be interesting to hear how it all comes out in the wash.

does anyone have a list of whats not covered? Just been told the MAF sensor is excluded

22 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

does anyone have a list of whats not covered? Just been told the MAF sensor is excluded

Easier to say what is covered - F.A

On 23/03/2018 at 0:57 PM, Matt Reid said:

Keep us updated Mark, it'll be interesting to hear how it all comes out in the wash.

Cannot fault BCA

Cheque on its way (slowly) for BMW Cab

BMW Hatch - all sorted - lovely car and found Full Main Dealer history in the book pack

Collected one today 308 CC Sport - they left all four windows down an inch or two, nice wet seats - dehumidier now earning its keep

2 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

Only what's on the Assured screen print.

Assured doesn't mean warranty, it means the items tested as good should be good.  If they say need attention, it needs attaention - you cannot argue that with them.

It is not a cover all system.  I use it when buying online because, if I could get hold of the keys for 10 mins I would be performing those checks, clutch bite, oil, water levels and contamination etc

EML light on, wasn't mentioned, car needs a MAF, no we don't cover sensors, told the woman my arse covers more than their warranty, she hung up

1 hour ago, andymc1973 said:

EML light on, wasn't mentioned, car needs a MAF, no we don't cover sensors, told the woman my arse covers more than their warranty, she hung up

:)