Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

What's Your Preference?

For the first time yesterday, I used BCA Online and I wanted to ask what you guys prefer (I predict the answer to be, prefer not to buy at auction but many of us do, so here goes)

After spending many days, trying to buy stock at the right money at various physical auctions - often walking away empty handed (but a full belly, love auction cafe), I thought I would try BCA Online on the basis that I am warm and dry and can drop in and out as my watched vehicles come along, it also has all the information at my fingertips rather than rifling through a catalogue propped on my knee whilst holding a coffee in the other hand and a pen in my teeth.

Yesterday, I had several online bids but was seriously outbid on 27 cars, most making close to retail money.  Was I dissapointed? No - because at least I hadn't spent three of four hours hanging around in the cold, breathing in some carbons then only to sit in traffic travelling to and from to no avail and burning the ozone. 

So, the question (for those who use auctions:

Physical or Online please and can you trust the mechanical/damage reports as I will only bid on assured vehicles online.

Regards, Mark

Physical will always give you a better opinion of the car. Ive seen appraisals which make it look like it need a full respray when its a few light scuffs and scratches which just need a bit of tlc. Ive also kicked back a car which was assured (although it was a physical auction i didnt hear the engine noise till i went to fetch it in the car park). I think with BCA you also pay extra for buying online? ( I am ready to be corrected on this, I'm not a BCA customer). 

It also depends on what youre buying. I would guess the newer, Higher value stuff is a safer online bet than 10 year old car group stock. Its down to you as to whats more important, and what else would you be doing with those 3 hours? We have all experienced the frustration of wasting time going to an auction and getting nothing but it pales into insignificance when you compare it to the time it takes to kick one back or fix a problem you would have identified if you were there.

I can’t seem to buy anything at bca. Despite having a gold card I can’t get near the sale prices on the good stuff. Plenty goes through under cap avg but it’s largely crap spec, weird colours etc. Basically stuff that will sit around for yonks. 

Imo, auctions are for selling, not buying. 

To answer the question though, low mileage stuff with a bca assured report with a relatively new ticket and decent service history, bought online would be my preferred choice. Everyone else’s too it seems judging by the prices. 

2 hours ago, Matt Reid said:

Physical will always give you a better opinion of the car. Ive seen appraisals which make it look like it need a full respray when its a few light scuffs and scratches which just need a bit of tlc. Ive also kicked back a car which was assured (although it was a physical auction i didnt hear the engine noise till i went to fetch it in the car park). I think with BCA you also pay extra for buying online? ( I am ready to be corrected on this, I'm not a BCA customer). 

It also depends on what youre buying. I would guess the newer, Higher value stuff is a safer online bet than 10 year old car group stock. Its down to you as to whats more important, and what else would you be doing with those 3 hours? We have all experienced the frustration of wasting time going to an auction and getting nothing but it pales into insignificance when you compare it to the time it takes to kick one back or fix a problem you would have identified if you were there.

£40 extra to buy online - money I could spend on my dealers breakfast!

Thanks for your comments both

I have to be there here them start see how they drive in clunks noises rattles ect, each to there own though what works for one and all that 

The stuff I buy I have to go and see it in the flesh.

I've mentioned this before but until the auction houses give us totally honest descriptions and declare faults there'll always be a cloud over online bidding. If only they have started right, on the lines of, for example Japanese auctions. that are almost totally electronic, but brutally honest with their descriptions. But sadly .....?

• Like 1

Hi Mark

We buy lateish fleet stuff and have found on line auction buying to be the best thing that has happened in the last 15 years.Once you get to know the differing BCA site grading,you can buy with confidence.If you put in the time and research and target say 50 per day at various auctions around the country,you will probably buy 2 and one of them you might nick.You need to have a reasonable and reliable transport company to lift them,but we have always found that the bonus cars always exceed by far the disappointing ones.......What stuff will you be selling

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark101 said:

hanging around in the cold, breathing in some carbons 

I have a few mates that have asked to come to the block with me....they never ask for a second visit! Bloody cold, grim places and god knows how short an auctioneers life expectancy is. Our local's pretty good tbf and won't fire up stuff that belches smoke nowadays, I think the office staff complained about it too much and thank god they did.

Physical for me always. We buy online occasionally and the stuff is mostly knackered whatever the report says and ends up going back or the auction contributing towards repair costs. We're on 2k - 6k bread and butter. On newer nice stuff I would be buying online more often.

I forgot to mention its hard enough to keep the auctioneer from running you up when your standing in front of him, god only knows how many bids they bounce of the wall when your on line.

• Like 3

Physical. There’s no way they’ll get me to buy online. Funnily enough Manheim phoned last week asking was I interested in bidding online farther afield. 

”No way” I cried, “your appraisals are crap”. 

Rep: “Perhaps you aren’t aware but the appraisals used online are exactly the same as a physical auction”.

”I am & as I said, your appraisals are crap”.

At this point I should say my stock profile is £1000-4000, so I’m more interested in the mechanicals rather than how pretty they look. Anyhow the next day I’m at the block looking at a low mileage shitty 2006/2007 Zafira on a silver assured. The assessment stated all tyres where at decent tread (of course no mention of the bald edges - to my eyes they were 4 that wouldn’t pass an mot) The car started on 3 pots, the fourth eventually spluttered into life, the exhaust was blowing loudly at the manifold which resulted in blue smoke from the half-knackered engine billowing out of both ends of the car! Quite an achievement for a car that scored 37 out of 37. Oh yes, and the clutch pedal was up by my ear!

So gone on, if you’re buying year old stock it’s probably worth a punt but if you’re buying cheaper stock, good luck- you’ll bloody well need it!!

Sorry but in my opinion the assessors couldn’t describe a lump of coal.

If you're buying late late stuff online is fine otherwise you have to buy in person and no you can't trust the auctions full stop. 

I'm lucky (?) That BCA Blackbushe is ten minutes away so lately I've been going up early to view the cars I'm after , normally  scrubbing 50% as no good then back to the office to bid online during the course of the day. I accept there's a risk of a noisy engine etc,but my hit rate online is about the same as being there and I can get loads done back at base. Jury's out , but for now I'm not freezing my arse off at that God forsaken hell hole ....

3 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Mark

We buy lateish fleet stuff and have found on line auction buying to be the best thing that has happened in the last 15 years.Once you get to know the differing BCA site grading,you can buy with confidence.If you put in the time and research and target say 50 per day at various auctions around the country,you will probably buy 2 and one of them you might nick.You need to have a reasonable and reliable transport company to lift them,but we have always found that the bonus cars always exceed by far the disappointing ones.......What stuff will you be selling

Hi trade vet

in honesty, I’m too green to define what sells and doesn’t (I’ve been out for 12 years) but I am working on units around the £4K trade, retailing between £5-6k with probably one hi-roller £50k because the markings (if you get it right), seem more in line with the margins I made all that time ago. 

I only have 4 units in stock at the moment but I’m trying to ramp up and quickly - but NOT at any price.

I am still in awe of how frank you are all being, it is so helpful for me - so thanks again

10 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Hi trade vet

in honesty, I’m too green to define what sells and doesn’t (I’ve been out for 12 years) but I am working on units around the £4K trade, retailing between £5-6k with probably one hi-roller £50k because the markings (if you get it right), seem more in line with the margins I made all that time ago. 

I only have 4 units in stock at the moment but I’m trying to ramp up and quickly - but NOT at any price.

I am still in awe of how frank you are all being, it is so helpful for me - so thanks again

I would forget about buying on line in that case.....too risky.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Physical. There’s no way they’ll get me to buy online. Funnily enough Manheim phoned last week asking was I interested in bidding online farther afield. 

”No way” I cried, “your appraisals are crap”. 

Rep: “Perhaps you aren’t aware but the appraisals used online are exactly the same as a physical auction”.

”I am & as I said, your appraisals are crap”.

At this point I should say my stock profile is £1000-4000, so I’m more interested in the mechanicals rather than how pretty they look. Anyhow the next day I’m at the block looking at a low mileage shitty 2006/2007 Zafira on a silver assured. The assessment stated all tyres where at decent tread (of course no mention of the bald edges - to my eyes they were 4 that wouldn’t pass an mot) The car started on 3 pots, the fourth eventually spluttered into life, the exhaust was blowing loudly at the manifold which resulted in blue smoke from the half-knackered engine billowing out of both ends of the car! Quite an achievement for a car that scored 37 out of 37. Oh yes, and the clutch pedal was up by my ear!

So gone on, if you’re buying year old stock it’s probably worth a punt but if you’re buying cheaper stock, good luck- you’ll bloody well need it!!

Sorry but in my opinion the assessors couldn’t describe a lump of coal.

I am surprised you did not point out the Zafira to the auctioneer,I would,it’s not fair to online buyers who have to pay extra.

1 hour ago, tradex said:

When ever we buy online we get our fingers burnt, no substitute for touchy feely buying. We also had a car raped before collection at Tewkesbury, which I think is now closed? 

As for the appraisals, I honestly think their guys wouldn't know the difference between a Zanussi, a De Longhi and Lamborghini.

That’s easy - Lamborghini has a 9000 rpm spin cycle - dries your towels really well.

yes Tewkesbury is closed as is Castle Bromwich which are the two I used to use, together with Telford Motor Auctions (now Wilson’s) - I do like Telford, there is no arrogance at all there but they just don’t get enough suitable through for me, lots of real cheapies though and some seem to buy 10-20 every week and probably flip them for a couple of quid.

I regularly buy Manheim SIlver including full delivery, only had a couple of issues which has always been resolved quickly and amicably. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark101 said:

That’s easy - Lamborghini has a 9000 rpm spin cycle - dries your towels really well.

yes Tewkesbury is closed as is Castle Bromwich which are the two I used to use, together with Telford Motor Auctions (now Wilson’s) - I do like Telford, there is no arrogance at all there but they just don’t get enough suitable through for me, lots of real cheapies though and some seem to buy 10-20 every week and probably flip them for a couple of quid.

Castle Brom closed to make way for HS2, it’s moved to Perry Barr now.

Online all the way for me.

In an ideal world the an appraisal would be a hybrid of Manheim's bodywork and BCA mechanical. Surecheck is complete and utter joke  so it's BCA all the way for me although it bugs the hell out of me that they don't declare nasty odours, really no excuse for it.

11 hours ago, trade vet said:

I am surprised you did not point out the Zafira to the auctioneer,I would,it’s not fair to online buyers who have to pay extra.

Surely that's the game isn't it? "Knowledge is power", noticing something negative about a car puts you one up on the competition? We might all be mates on here, but not when we're competing to buy stock? 

• Like 1

There’s a bloke at Bristol that approaches me when I’m looking at a car he’s clearly interested in and asks me to “flip” for it.... we’re not mates and I don’t even know his name....... 

I just say I’m on a commission or I’m not really interested.....

The only other bidder I watch is the auctioneers eyes.....

• Like 1

You can always tell an “auction friend” - they always want a favour from you to stand aside but it’s never reciprocated. 

15 minutes ago, BHM said:

You can always tell an “auction friend” - they always want a favour from you to stand aside but it’s never reciprocated. 

We don’t compete against each other, different types of stock. ;)

There was 4/5 traders in Birmingham who used to flip coins amongst themselves. Worked out well for them

32 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

We don’t compete against each other, different types of stock. ;)

What are you buying that you have no competition?