arslan2468

Newly part time Trader

Hi all, I found this site a few months back and have been ghosting on here, stalking threads and picking up loads of key information about the trade. Ive recently started trading myself started around may last year, brought my first car and then after a few months sold it. Ever since I've been buying vehicles, getting any work done, prepping them and then selling. Im 22 years old and a full time student at university and plan to continue doing this for as long as possible, I've always got one car in stock. My problem is now trying to get into a constant flow of selling, typically i would sell a car then would take me nearly a month just to source another. The type of cars also vary from standard corsa's to bmw 1 series and golfs etc. apart from the current car that i got in stock being a 2011 Audi s3.im trading from home and also got a really good cheap mechanic doing all the work for me. most the cars I've got from private buyers which is why I'm struggling to source vehicles as their hard to find. The first vehicle that i brought was from Aston Barclay and was a 2012 corsa 1.3 diesel but brought it in the dark blue colour which is a hard seller, guess i learnt the hard way, only making £150 profit, Otherwise i would normally get a £500-£700 profit. I've attended BCA auction centres but find that the cars sell for so much that there isn't any room at all to make any profit, most other traders told me to avoid Aston Barclay. just needed some advise that tailored to myself on how to improve my business. Any advise will be much appreciated

thanks in advance  

If you have the time trawl the classified adverts and try to buy some stock via private adverts.. Its always good to flop the cash out and hit them hard with a low ball offer!

Concentrate on your studies, this really isn't a job you can do properly part time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sparky said:

Concentrate on your studies, this really isn't a job you can do properly part time.

Funnily enough, did you know. The founder of Lotus cars (Colin Chapman), was buying and selling cars part time while studying for his engineering degree at London University. He had about a dozen cars 'in stock' when the government decided to remove the private petrol ration and wiped him out, apart from one car which he couldn't shift and which he decided to modify for trials, which led to bigger things

As a student you would still be working on the side anyway unless your  from a loaded family so why not. 

Hardest part of this job is buying unfortunately no easy answer Auctions ain't cheap until you buy a lot of volume. Even then not that cheap.

I would go private if I had time on my hands, and I would not be a month between stocking cars there are plenty out there just need to think smart.

10 hours ago, MrC said:

If you have the time trawl the classified adverts and try to buy some stock via private adverts.. Its always good to flop the cash out and hit them hard with a low ball offer!

I’ve been doing this so far it’s just the issue of so many other people that are out there already offering next to nothing on any private car being sold, but I will stick to looking for cars and offering much less then asking price, 

9 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

Out of interest - what are you studying?

I’m studying pharmacy and In my last year, and I’ve also got a part time job, 

45 minutes ago, sparky said:

Thankfully I’ve always been doing something as well as studying since I was in school so can always have that good balance of studying and work,  I’m mainly doing this as a means of another income stream which is quite profitable, a few hundred quid a month defo does help me, 

8 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

As a student you would still be working on the side anyway unless your  from a loaded family so why not. 

Hardest part of this job is buying unfortunately no easy answer Auctions ain't cheap until you buy a lot of volume. Even then not that cheap.

I would go private if I had time on my hands, and I would not be a month between stocking cars there are plenty out there just need to think smart.

With auction, I’ve got friends who got trade accounts with BCA and Manehim Which helps to reduce costs 

6 minutes ago, tradex said:

What happened to fruit picking?

Too many lemons..... :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, tradex said:

Ya on fire...are you here all week:D

Yep, well, until I start selling cars again..... :wacko:

Hi Arslan

You sound like a good guy.As the other guys say,just stick to what you are doing.I am pleased you are doing pharmacy,I expected  something like Robin Hood or Harry Potter studies.The bottom line is,the guys who do well in our job with car sales pitches now only net 1p in the pound.However a good pharmacist ,as I understand just has to create a new legal high and ............

You're basically 'shotting' a few cars for a bit of cash here and there. If it's a few hundred quid a month you're after just carry on doing what you're doing. Truth is you'll probably not go back to it once you graduate, I wouldn't recommend you do anyway, there's far more money in drugs than cars... however, alot of money in cars is from drugs and alot of people who buy them are on drugs. Maybe there's more connections than I'd first thought :lol:

Anyway, there's no silver bullet, just keep plugging away and ask on here if you get stuck with any nasties.

• Like 1

The thing with being a wheeler dealer and "buying and selling" is that it gets into your blood. Once you get the bug, you are always looking for a deal......

• Like 1

21 hours ago, arslan2468 said:

Hi all, I found this site a few months back and have been ghosting on here, stalking threads and picking up loads of key information about the trade. Ive recently started trading myself started around may last year, brought my first car and then after a few months sold it. Ever since I've been buying vehicles, getting any work done, prepping them and then selling. Im 22 years old and a full time student at university and plan to continue doing this for as long as possible, I've always got one car in stock. My problem is now trying to get into a constant flow of selling, typically i would sell a car then would take me nearly a month just to source another. The type of cars also vary from standard corsa's to bmw 1 series and golfs etc. apart from the current car that i got in stock being a 2011 Audi s3.im trading from home and also got a really good cheap mechanic doing all the work for me. most the cars I've got from private buyers which is why I'm struggling to source vehicles as their hard to find. The first vehicle that i brought was from Aston Barclay and was a 2012 corsa 1.3 diesel but brought it in the dark blue colour which is a hard seller, guess i learnt the hard way, only making £150 profit, Otherwise i would normally get a £500-£700 profit. I've attended BCA auction centres but find that the cars sell for so much that there isn't any room at all to make any profit, most other traders told me to avoid Aston Barclay. just needed some advise that tailored to myself on how to improve my business. Any advise will be much appreciated

thanks in advance  

Ghosting.... explain why you felt it necessary and who you were ghosting 

3 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

The thing with being a wheeler dealer and "buying and selling" is that it gets into your blood. Once you get the bug, you are always looking for a deal......

Totally agree with Arfur, if you are not careful you will end up as a used car dealer, once it gets in your blood even the strongest antibiotics won't work

Edited by A & S

20 hours ago, arslan2468 said:

I'm mainly doing this as a means of another income stream which is quite profitable, a few hundred quid a month defo does help me, 

Start 'matched betting' easy money,  less stress, less work ;)

Edited by NoMargin

2 hours ago, NoMargin said:

Start 'matched betting' easy money,  less stress, less work ;)

Its all about passive income and working 2/3 hours a day on some signals earning £3k plus a month.

I can teach you to trade for a small fee.....:lol:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Its all about passive income and working 2/3 hours a day on some signals earning £3k plus a month.

I can teach you to trade for a small fee.....:lol:

I'll pay you only if you sign a money back guarantee if I don't make 10k in the first 3 months :)

On 16/01/2018 at 0:40 PM, trade vet said:

Hi Arslan

You sound like a good guy.As the other guys say,just stick to what you are doing.I am pleased you are doing pharmacy,I expected  something like Robin Hood or Harry Potter studies.The bottom line is,the guys who do well in our job with car sales pitches now only net 1p in the pound.However a good pharmacist ,as I understand just has to create a new legal high and ............

That is true, pharmacists do earn a fair bit but actually getting a job is difficult more than likely ill be working on a self employment basis, and the certain months are so dead that i would be free most days a week, other months will super busy. As for myself I'm still in uni and still got a few months to go before I'm graduated and I've still got a placement year too which i won't be earning a lot and selling cars really will help. 

On 16/01/2018 at 2:47 PM, Mojo121 said:

You're basically 'shotting' a few cars for a bit of cash here and there. If it's a few hundred quid a month you're after just carry on doing what you're doing. Truth is you'll probably not go back to it once you graduate, I wouldn't recommend you do anyway, there's far more money in drugs than cars... however, alot of money in cars is from drugs and alot of people who buy them are on drugs. Maybe there's more connections than I'd first thought :lol:

Anyway, there's no silver bullet, just keep plugging away and ask on here if you get stuck with any nasties.

yep thats actually true most of the people who come to buy cars are all drug dealers lool, but buying and selling cars has really helped me financially and also slowed me to get my hands on vehicles that i really wouldn't be able to buy normally. 

Im not sure if i can post a link to an eBay listing on here for you guys to check to see if my ad is decent enough? 

On 16/01/2018 at 5:44 PM, Arfur Dealy said:

its always been in my blood, I've been called a wheeler dealer since i was 13, 

Hi Arslan

You could have a disused petrol station and forecourt or something ,have both car sales and a drive in /or drive through pharmacy on the same site.Pensioners are always complaining that they cannot get parked near chemists !  Just a thought.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:18 PM, arslan2468 said:

thanks in advance  

You need at least £1200 profit in a car if your thinking of stocking more, you need to know what sales are on where and when with BCA but they are over CAP at the moment.

9 minutes ago, NacMan said:

You need at least £1200 profit in a car if your thinking of stocking more, you need to know what sales are on where and when with BCA but they are over CAP at the moment.

Seen some dealers sell for about £800 -£900 profit but only on some cars the aim as you. Say is about £1200 -£1500 though a lot of the big dealer groups are looking to profit it between 2-2500 k on ex motabilty stuff ive followed 2 recently that were knowing missed one and seen the other in auction but was a bit over priced id known both cars since new  

30 minutes ago, Casper said:

Seen some dealers sell for about £800 -£900 profit but only on some cars the aim as you. Say is about £1200 -£1500 though a lot of the big dealer groups are looking to profit it between 2-2500 k on ex motabilty stuff ive followed 2 recently that were knowing missed one and seen the other in auction but was a bit over priced id known both cars since new  

If you aim at £900 profit, what if a car comes back with a fault? What if theres some unexpected expenses, mats, lights, paintwork you didn't think was so bad, warrantys, it all adds up, advert fees. in my opinion £1000 is the lowest you should go.