Sign in to follow this  
Rory RSC

Taking Part Exchanges

Do you give a value first or do you let the customer tell you what they would like for it first?

Rory , I always ask in the conversation ... some will say / others not ..its a game , but many times I've thought of a higher figure than they expected so always work asking as far as I'm concerned ... of course  we all get those who are miles over but then bring them back to reality :) 

I always try and ask the customer what they are hoping to get for it first. Doesn't always work though, a lot just say 'as much as possible'

I always ask first as mentioned its a game of whits, I tend to avoid questions that allow them to give a silly answers like how much do you want for your car, that often gets answered with as much as i can get, so that answer gets you no where, try ones like what do you value your car at.

The price range i work at thankfully it doesnt come up often and when it does i am being offered a pile of turd fit for scrap which i am happy to give them £150 for and explain the advantages of letting me doing it over the local scrote who will sell it on and not transfer the log book ect, that often focuses there minds.

I always get them to go first. Always have and will continue. 

Seen an interesting thread on Pistonheads forum where a couple of car dealers ( Franchise) suggested they always go first and its bad form to let the customer suggest what they want.  

what they would like for it and what they think its actually worth can be a funny conversation, Although I personally don't ask them want they expect for it anymore just from my experiences it never works in my favour.

Oh the cat and mouse game of Part Exchange Valuations.  We always ask the customer what they are looking for first but it doesn't really matter anymore  Most nowadays have high expectation because of the ludicrous valuations tools but we tend to offer CAP average on clean cars and only budge a few hundred below CAP on something that needs work and CAP clean if it's a nice car we have no problem retailing ourselves.

We offer a few hundred of CAP below on preparation cars as we've got a backup of getting our money back by putting it through BCA.  It just depends on the prep that needs to be done.  Over a year I'd say we more or less break even.

If I thought I could retail the swapper,I would always tell the punter how GOOD it is and offer him £X (subject to a run )before explaining what prep we would do before offering it for Y. Of course after  a run,I would try and chip the price ! I always got a 'buzz ' when I got a good swapper in at the right price.

Always the potential customer - then I know if they're realistic or in la-la land.

Always ask the question. With places like we buy any car now operating, i feel customers have actually become more realistic recently.

Ask them what theyre expecting. 

If they say you tell me then offer £150 and then you’ll soon get a guide price from them

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Ask them what theyre expecting. 

If they say you tell me then offer £150 and then you’ll soon get a guide price from them

Jimbo, I’ll try that with a cheeky smile over the phone :) 

• Like 1

I've got to admit to replying 'can of petrol and a box of matches' when asked 'what will you give me for my car?' over the years.. 

I don't have hard and fast rules like this when it comes to selling. For me every deal is very different and you need to tailor the approach to the character you're dealing with.

I will say that test driving their car is always a brilliant way to level them out though ;)

1 hour ago, tradex said:

it was the diff'

You missed a bullet ,well done,if greed had got the better of us we might have not gone up the road but just checked it over and saw it went in gear

2 hours ago, tradex said:

with the often mentioned story of "the thing is, I just don't like it" so the warning signs were all there.

This is the key! Most important questions are 

"So, why are you getting rid of it?" and "does it have any issues I need to be aware of?". Then watch the eyes and body language! 

Part time car trader part time lie detector! :lol:

2 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

This is the key! Most important questions are 

"So, why are you getting rid of it?" and "does it have any issues I need to be aware of?". Then watch the eyes and body language! 

Part time car trader part time lie detector! :lol:

Too bloody true. If it's more than about £150 I drive it.