betginge

January madness at the block

We'll  once again the mad rush to buy stock in january has started.

Popped down to my local Aston Barclays last week with 10 cars to try and buy, everyone I had bids on but then the madness took over with every car going over book by several hundred, with one doing a grand over book ( Kia pro ceed are good news I've learned) 

In the end I did get a gem of an insignia on the 09 Sri petrol with 60k in  black for £2k as it had some daft loud exhaust on it which put everyone off, a cheap fix for a massive saving on cap clean.

I hope the madness stops soon as I need stock, but refuse to pay over my limit I preset. 

Has anyone been to the block and seeing the same madness I am experiencing ???

That is a cheap Insignia. Good work. I do the same with cars that need a panel or 2 painting.

Might get shot down for this but I don't really care what guides say on desirable cars to be honest. I pay what any car is worth to me leaving me scope to make profit on it.

January is always mental though with a lot of groups holding stock back in Dec and then Auctions closing for Xmas, we are all on the back foot trying to replace stock. Another week or 2 and it will sort itself out.

Do you think so Rory? I think that most years and yet we get to March and prices are still strong, I can't see things being any different this year, far from it in fact.

Like above, my most profitable cars are ones that need some recon that take the big boys out of the game. Cars that require paintwork obviously and then those cars you know inside out that have an EML on for example which you feel is nothing  to worry about. This is when BCA comes into it's own IMO putting plenty off with their flashing orange reports, keep flashing I say!

21 minutes ago, sparky said:

Do you think so Rory? I think that most years and yet we get to March and prices are still strong, I can't see things being any different this year, far from it in fact.

Like above, my most profitable cars are ones that need some recon that take the big boys out of the game. Cars that require paintwork obviously and then those cars you know inside out that have an EML on for example which you feel is nothing  to worry about. This is when BCA comes into it's own IMO putting plenty off with their flashing orange reports, keep flashing I say!

Especially now you can check MOT history that shows EML has been on for two years?:D

40 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

That is a cheap Insignia. Good work. I do the same with cars that need a panel or 2 painting.

Might get shot down for this but I don't really care what guides say on desirable cars to be honest. I pay what any car is worth to me leaving me scope to make profit on it.

January is always mental though with a lot of groups holding stock back in Dec and then Auctions closing for Xmas, we are all on the back foot trying to replace stock. Another week or 2 and it will sort itself out.

I agree ref guide prices, was looking at an 06 plate Audi TT QS 240, 34k miles. Think it capped at something like £5800, made £10,700 at BCA. Bit of an extreme example, but if there's profit in the car.... I didn't buy it though.

10 hours ago, sparky said:

Exactly as above, bought a few with engine running requires attention and nothing wrong with it, as long as its a car you know then do it. 

Stocked up in November/December knowing January would be mental as usual.

Running a bit low on stock but refuse to pay much above book money...come March/April any of those above book money purchases will look silly expensive if they're still on a forecourt.

11 hours ago, Tom said:

Exactly as above, bought a few with engine running requires attention and nothing wrong with it, as long as its a car you know then do it. 

Absolutely. P.S Last week I bought  the exact same Scenic you just recently put on FB which may have put off one or two due to the colour combination.I think it's  clear we are both men of impeccable taste :)

Edit. I have the right to edit this post if no punters agree with us and they are both sat there for months on end!

12 hours ago, sparky said:

Absolutely. P.S Last week I bought  the exact same Scenic you just recently put on FB which may have put off one or two due to the colour combination.I think it's  clear we are both men of impeccable taste :)

Edit. I have the right to edit this post if no punters agree with us and they are both sat there for months on end!

I think its a nice combo as well! I did buy a BMW e90 once in black with a dark beige interior, nobody wanted it so I bought it and sold it in a week! Thanks for following me on FB! Have you got a page?

Been snapping up good deals all week to be fair, I thought it had calmed down a touch?

Made a visit to BCA Blackbushe this week - first time in a loooong time...

Astonishing number of pre- and post-sale vehicles as far as the eye can see. The Key Office looks like a war zone, prep bays are gridlocked, half the staff look shell-shocked and sold cars are being parked at the back of the airfield up to a mile from the site. I hear they are refusing to take trade entries as they can't cope.

I don't know what all this means in the grand scheme of things though, but I think the description of the whole operation at the moment might be Omnishambles. Unless, of course, it's all totally under control?

You really are a fountain of knowledge GG. Omnishambles, what a fantastic word.

Back on planet earth, surprisingly I've had a decent buying week when I originally thought at the start of the week I had more chance of a drink with Tess Daley than buying decent stock, even more surprisingly is that nowt has come from up north as a few have come from south of the M4 and holy smoke batman,  I even had a lesser spotted bargain off dealer auction.

Omnishambles, I can't wait to use that word.

Wonder if the auction companies are trying to cash in on the madness?

Just having a look through an auction companies "by it now" auction

Now i havent checked the prices, however one car caught my eye. They list the prices as

AVG - £14,750

CLN - £15,450

RTL - £17,450

Bearing in mind this is a grade 2 vehicle.... their "buy it now" price...

£17,900 :blink::wacko:

they can keep em all

i would rather pay running costs than pay through the nose for lemon landmarks because thats what lots of them are that we make on quick decision impulses because we feel we must buy something

take a few days off and decorate the outside lavvieB)

Bring on the Omnishambles I say. My grade 2 407 sw from blackbushe sold without paperwork looked liked it should have history and even through my laptop, smelt like it had history so took a punt. Within two minutes of it arriving, full service history and docs have been found. Beautiful.

12 minutes ago, sparky said:

Bring on the Omnishambles I say. My grade 2 407 sw from blackbushe sold without paperwork looked liked it should have history and even through my laptop, smelt like it had history so took a punt. Within two minutes of it arriving, full service history and docs have been found. Beautiful.

Nice.

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Is there something I don't know....my phone isn't ringing but everyone else must be having it off?

....the prices at BCA yesterday were eye watering, lots of 'fresh faces' buying stock whilst the regulars looked on in amazement and sympathy.

I did buy a very nice one owner cheese and tomato sandwich, paid all the money for it though.

Where you advised on what sandwich to go for and how much to pay for it or did you just go with your gut in more ways than one?

W

3 hours ago, sparky said:

Where you advised on what sandwich to go for and how much to pay for it or did you just go with your gut in more ways than one?

Was the sandwich fresh stock or overage ..guessing it was fresh as you said 'nice' :) !

Just watched an 06 plate MR2 go through at BCA Paddock Wood, 35k miles, 9 x md service stamps, so nice mileage and history, but grade 3 and cloth seats, cap clean £2225, made £5150!!!! :wacko:

Fancied a 61 plate Fiat 500 Lounge in candy red with black cloth interior at our local auction the other day.

Booked at £3850

Made £4900 to a trade buyer...found a retail one on AT for £5295 within 20 miles with the same miles.

:blink:

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

Fancied a 61 plate Fiat 500 Lounge in candy red with black cloth interior at our local auction the other day.

Booked at £3850

Made £4900 to a trade buyer...found a retail one on AT for £5295 within 20 miles with the same miles.

:blink:

I do a lot of F500's and margin is getting worse and worse. I've seen some traders selling identical cars for almost what I paid for them. Then there's the squeeze from the main dealers doing 42mths PCP at £129 (or less). I haven't bought anything from Manheim or BCA since about last October as it's just the worst avenue for stock at the minute price wise!

2 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

Just watched an 06 plate MR2 go through at BCA Paddock Wood, 35k miles, 9 x md service stamps, so nice mileage and history, but grade 3 and cloth seats, cap clean £2225, made £5150!!!! :wacko:

WTF?   

ive got a perjoe here i bought before grimbo,just seen same car same mileage same colour do double what i paid and i thought id paid too much

22 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

I'm going to have to get a hearing aid and glasses I thought I was only paying £2150 for it how do I explain that to the boss.