James Baggott

Auto Trader seeks investor cash and cuts executive pay

Good move. 
I actually think AT have been decent so far and offered a lot of assistance and insight throughout this situation. They get a lot of flack ordinarily. 
I’ve even had 3 or 4 people contact me from Autotrader just to check in and see how we are including a couple that don’t need to as I’m literally nothing to do with their account which I thought was really decent. 

thanks for the link

the bit i found a bit strange =

"The firm has already axed most of its non-essential spending in areas such as marketing"

which is a bit double dutch as they want us to advertise but not advertising themselves ?:lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone...long time unregistered lurker...first time poster from Australia! Hope everyone is doing OK over there?

I'm in a similar industry to Autotrader over there and I'm not trying to sell you guys anything! But just curious - what kind of $$ do dealers over there spend per month with a company like auto trader? Over here, the dominant player is a company called Carsales...and I've spoken to small dealers who may spend $3K per month...right up to some of the larger dealers who spend anywhere north of $50K+ per month. And many are p^%&*d off about it!

It says autotrader have a record amount of cars advertised ...mainly due to free advertising in April.

Do you think they should be advertising at all?

Should any car dealerships remain open...even for the mainly faux (in my opinion) no contact sales.

Surely at this time car sales are non essential?

The car trade is a prime example ( not the worst...and one of many) of a general lack of social responsibility.

Surely a short, sharp complete lockdown and suspension of absolutely everything non-essential is at least worth trying and preferable to the much more likely scenario of this dragging on and the country being in partial half arsed lockdown for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, XFS said:

It says autotrader have a record amount of cars advertised ...mainly due to free advertising in April.

Do you think they should be advertising at all?

Should any car dealerships remain open...even for the mainly faux (in my opinion) no contact sales.

Surely at this time car sales are non essential?

The car trade is a prime example ( not the worst...and one of many) of a general lack of social responsibility.

Surely a short, sharp complete lockdown and suspension of absolutely everything non-essential is at least worth trying and preferable to the much more likely scenario of this dragging on and the country being in partial half arsed lockdown for the rest of the year.

I agree. I get the impression from a lot of people that they are trying to think of ways around lockdown forgetting the reason why we are doing it! Treating it as a barrier to trading. This is not just the motor trade either.

43 minutes ago, metcars said:

I agree. I get the impression from a lot of people that they are trying to think of ways around lockdown forgetting the reason why we are doing it! Treating it as a barrier to trading. This is not just the motor trade either.

I agree in my opinion theres loads of shops shouldn't be open that sell non essential items but sell a tin a soup so get on the essential list . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard ABL said:

Hello everyone...long time unregistered lurker...first time poster from Australia! Hope everyone is doing OK over there?

I'm in a similar industry to Autotrader over there and I'm not trying to sell you guys anything! But just curious - what kind of $$ do dealers over there spend per month with a company like auto trader? Over here, the dominant player is a company called Carsales...and I've spoken to small dealers who may spend $3K per month...right up to some of the larger dealers who spend anywhere north of $50K+ per month. And many are p^%&*d off about it!

Hi Richard

If you had Autotrader ( Autoraper )  in Aussie you would be paying about 1900 Aussie for any 9 cars plus 2 cheaper ones.It has been around for 40 years and is the market leader but every so often somebody else buys Autotrader for big money and their charges dramatically increase.To give you an idea the last buyers paid about £2b for it then floated it off to get most of their investment back.Hopefully with the Coronavirus shutdown it could might mean that ‘ the shit has hit the fan ‘ for Autotrader .

36 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Richard

If you had Autotrader ( Autoraper )  in Aussie you would be paying about 1900 Aussie for any 9 cars plus 2 cheaper ones.It has been around for 40 years and is the market leader but every so often somebody else buys Autotrader for big money and their charges dramatically increase.To give you an idea the last buyers paid about £2b for it then floated it off to get most of their investment back.Hopefully with the Coronavirus shutdown it could might mean that ‘ the shit has hit the fan ‘ for Autotrader .

We live in hope

We live in hope my son

:D

2 hours ago, metcars said:

I get the impression from a lot of people that they are trying to think of ways around lockdown forgetting the reason why we are doing it! Treating it as a barrier to trading. This is not just the motor trade either.

+1. 

3 hours ago, Casper said:

I agree in my opinion theres loads of shops shouldn't be open that sell non essential items but sell a tin a soup so get on the essential list . 

Try having a skim on the FB for sale sections to see how creative some businesses have become in trying to continue trading. And at the same time trying to make us feel grateful that they are doing it! Like local community heroes risking it all to carry on cutting hair and cutting grass! 

Mind you the supermarkets are playing games too. They are graciously allowing us to queue for an hour to buy limited, specially selected and overpriced stock. Like heroes!

Edited by metcars
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Richard

Thanks Trade Vet...interesting. Probably similar pricing to what we have over here. My brother and I are working on a new model which will hopefully restore some equity back to car dealers here...we're already getting some traction so we'll see how it goes. From our perspective, dealers are the backbones of these businesses, but don't get a heck of a lot in return.

Cheers, and stay safe over there!

4 minutes ago, Richard ABL said:

Thanks Trade Vet...interesting. Probably similar pricing to what we have over here. My brother and I are working on a new model which will hopefully restore some equity back to car dealers here...we're already getting some traction so we'll see how it goes. From our perspective, dealers are the backbones of these businesses, but don't get a heck of a lot in return.

Cheers, and stay safe over there!

Hi

Cant believe the toilet roll fighters you have over there

Guess you have libtards there too?

Do you still have redbacks on the toilet seat at night?

:lol:

Gee forgot to add,well done on the advertising thing, I hate monopolies 

Edited by New year revolutions......

56 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Hi

Cant believe the toilet roll fighters you have over there

Guess you have libtards there too?

Do you still have redbacks on the toilet seat at night?

:lol:

Gee forgot to add,well done on the advertising thing, I hate monopolies 

Ha! The toilet paper fighting seems to have eased thank goodness. Plenty of supply.

Libtards? Probably...and I've also been called one myself. :lol:

Redbacks on the dunny seat? Absolutely...Funnel Web spiders too. Need to brush them off every night...although sometimes the snakes do that job first.

And our new venture...thanks. We'll see how it goes. It's based on a similar thing we did in another industry that worked OK for a while...but we now have about 15 years of data to back us up.

Cheers

Edited by Richard ABL

China has reopened yes BUT there is no demand coming from Europe. They are producing inventories with no buyers and it’s citizens are being forced to go back to its factories on weekdays however , on weekends they are shutting themselves in doors. Which virtually snaptube vidmate  eliminates any domestic led consumption .

So we have low external demand plus building inventories = increasing probability of a business going bankrupt

Edited by adomanim

What is interesting how local grocery businesses are getting a boost from the lockdown. Because they lack internet selling infrastucture, they are videoing their stock, posting on FB and then taking telephone orders for delivery. Many thought that the supermarkets were killing off these businesses but they now have a new lifeline.

Good on AT Execs to take a cut in salary whilst paying staff 100%

Edited by Cars

11 minutes ago, Cars said:

What is interesting how local grocery businesses are getting a boost from the lockdown. Because they lack internet selling infrastucture, they are videoing their stock, posting on FB and then taking telephone orders for delivery. Many thought that the supermarkets were killing off these businesses but they now have a new lifeline.

Good on AT Execs to take a cut in salary whilst paying staff 100%

I like a laugh - are you seriously saying grocery shops are videoing vegetables & tinned foods in order to sell them?

Customer service at its finest! :lol:

5 minutes ago, BHM said:

I like a laugh - are you seriously saying grocery shops are videoing vegetables & tinned foods in order to sell them?

Yes, they are videoing their shelves and fresh produce every few days s you can see what they have in stock. I thought it was quite an inventive alternative to typing in a long list of what they have ;)

14 minutes ago, BHM said:

Nearly every store in my village is on facebook selling their wares

I've been admitted to 4 closed facebook  sites to find out all the local gossip and see where the best doggin sites are

I was a virgin to facebook only a week ago but now I can type about local stuff and not be called a racist 

It's great

How did I manage without it:lol:

5 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Nearly every store in my village is on facebook selling their wares

I've been admitted to 4 closed facebook  sites to find out all the local gossip and see where the best doggin sites are

I was a virgin to facebook only a week ago but now I can type about local stuff and not be called a racist 

It's great

How did I manage without it:lol:

I am a Facebook virgin and not allowed to join because ‘ she who must be obeyed ‘says I am liable to offend someone which causes us to lose our house.

12 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I am a Facebook virgin and not allowed to join because ‘ she who must be obeyed ‘says I am liable to offend someone which causes us to lose our house.

I was for many years. Click Dealer set up an alias profile for the work page, so no-one knows who I am. You could do the same TV. Worst that will happen is you’ll get booted off from some groups you join. For example, if you slag off Autoraper too much ;o)