Sign in to follow this  
Huggins

Long Distance Selling / Delivery

Morning all, I usually try to keep sales as local as possible for obvious reasons. Have an enquiry from a customer over 200 miles away, wanting to take delivery and pay via bank trans. How do those who are more experienced in this safeguard against getting scammed? I used to think a BT was un-reversable but read on here one that had been drawn back recently? also in terms of verifying the occupant and address without looking overly paranoid! I'd intend to use a transport company once to deliver once funds have been received!

I have the name, address and a landline number for the customer but I suppose that's not to say it's bulletpooof ,as the "genuine account holder / resident " could be on holiday etc?!

Many thanks for any help.

It's pretty straight forward to be honest.

Deliveries we use Movex or deliver ourselves if not too far.

We request payment to be made 24 hours prior to delivery date.

We send a video of the outside and inside of the car showing all and any marks / scratches / cosmetic defects.
We do a brand new MOT with all our vehicles and a PDi.
Movex also do a Cosmetic PDi on collection and delivery.

We only take a deposit (£250) but don't take full payment over the phone.  Bank Transfer only for the remaining balance.

You must make sure you're red hot on your DSR, CSR'2015 and ROW.  If you're not and you're unsure on anything, don't get involved as it can bite you in the bum selling to the wrong customer who will pull your pants down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huggins said:

Thanks Earunder - excuse my ignorance but "DSR, CSR'2015 and ROW" ?

Distance Selling Regulation
Consumer Rights Act 2015
Right Of Withdrawal

Sold plenty this way and never had an issue. As above re: videos, paperwork and payment. (A transfer can be recalled on the same day, but it's very unusual. Can also more likely get held up in fraud checks is all.)

We final sign them up at theirs upon delivery. DSR only counts if it’s something you do regularly, and even then, most people are normal but you get screamers no matter how you do it occasionally. Qualify them to see if they pass the moron test or not obviously. 

There isnt any long distance selling if you have a showroom/ pitch open to public access , we always ask for a copy of their driving licence with that delivery address on as well . 

9 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

There isnt any long distance selling if you have a showroom/ pitch open to public access , we always ask for a copy of their driving licence with that delivery address on as well . 

Are you sure?  Soooo many stories out there of dealers being hit with a DSR claim / refusal.  

Luckily we've not been hit so far, yes a warranty claim here and there but not to the extent of a full refund including delivery costs within 30 days.

1 hour ago, Huggins said:

Morning all, I usually try to keep sales as local as possible for obvious reasons. Have an enquiry from a customer over 200 miles away, wanting to take delivery and pay via bank trans. How do those who are more experienced in this safeguard against getting scammed? I used to think a BT was un-reversable but read on here one that had been drawn back recently? also in terms of verifying the occupant and address without looking overly paranoid! I'd intend to use a transport company once to deliver once funds have been received!

I have the name, address and a landline number for the customer but I suppose that's not to say it's bulletpooof ,as the "genuine account holder / resident " could be on holiday etc?!

Are you being paranoid because of the customers manner/ behaviour over the phone? Or is it just because you're concerned you may get your finger burnt?

With the costs associated with this transaction, the only caution I would express is to make sure that the customer knows exactly what they are getting. How much is a 200 mile delivery going to cost? And if the delivery driver is faced with a customer rejecting the car for whatever reason they may decide on, is he actually able to bring it back or is he moving on to the next job from there?

I would recommend you having a delivery charge involved here, and just ask yourself the question, why cant this customer make it to look at the car and drive it back himself? Even if they dont have a car, they can always get on a train etc, I'd think it will take you a few days to get a delivery of that distance arranged, so the 'i cant get down till next monday ' line doesnt really win out here.

Aside from the cautionary notes we have given you so far, if you have confidence in your car and your customer, then you shouldnt have much to worry about. I know there are many on here who do deliver distances without issue, out of interest, whats the car ?

6 minutes ago, MattR said:

Are you being paranoid because of the customers manner/ behaviour over the phone? Or is it just because you're concerned you may get your finger burnt?

With the costs associated with this transaction, the only caution I would express is to make sure that the customer knows exactly what they are getting. How much is a 200 mile delivery going to cost? And if the delivery driver is faced with a customer rejecting the car for whatever reason they may decide on, is he actually able to bring it back or is he moving on to the next job from there?

I would recommend you having a delivery charge involved here, and just ask yourself the question, why cant this customer make it to look at the car and drive it back himself? Even if they dont have a car, they can always get on a train etc, I'd think it will take you a few days to get a delivery of that distance arranged, so the 'i cant get down till next monday ' line doesnt really win out here.

Aside from the cautionary notes we have given you so far, if you have confidence in your car and your customer, then you shouldnt have much to worry about. I know there are many on here who do deliver distances without issue, out of interest, whats the car ?

Customers are lazy and accustomed to online shopping now. Buying online is just  the norm so for cars despite being high value some people just don't care.

Convenience can be factored in for a price or charged for. I see no reason to worry.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Customers are lazy and accustomed to online shopping now. Buying online is just  the norm so for cars despite being high value some people just don't care.

Convenience can be factored in for a price or charged for. I see no reason to worry.

Rory, it was you I was thinking of regarding delivery. My impression of you is that you do the job right, so have no concerns when you send a car to a customer. I agree that they are getting lazy, it may be that Huggins has a unique car or maybe he is the only one with a more common car who has said yes to delivery. either way, its down to his level of prep and customer expectation. If they're right, no worries.

15 minutes ago, MattR said:

customer expectation

How long’s a piece of string?

Many thanks for all the replies everyone. I don't usually get involved in delivery, make customers come to me but as it's a slow month for me I'm relenting!

I like to think I've got a pretty good nose for the punters and potential scammers - I've had few chancers trying it on over the years and know of few dealers who've been conned recently , makes one a little overly paranoid at times!!

For anyone interested the car is a well specced golf.

Regarding transportation I've lined up a company to deliver - the car will be "plate driven" - what's the etiquette with fuel for in this situation?!

Thanks again    

11 hours ago, Huggins said:

Drive the 200 miles to them if they sound nice people, turn up smelling of brut and with a massive grin on your face, firm handshake get them in it driving it loving it give them the patter show them the docs and locking wheel key - spare key then politely invite your way in for a coffee milk 2 sugar and a bank transfer once funds showing as cleared wish them a wonderful afternoon and make your own way home via public transport or lift. PS dont send a donkey to collect payment and sell them it YOU DO IT 

Edited by Ek cars
  • Like 2

Sell quite a lot out of area every month, several unseen, confirm with video/walk round, expection and sign off on delivery, as mentioned above we get copies of driving license and utility/credit card bill for delivery address, dont deliver to anywhere else except whats on these, not had any issues with distance selling but make sure you know the consumers rights to hand back etc. We'd much rather sell locally as well as good for repeat business and can get them signed up for our service plans which keep the servicing and MOT side busy but dont be scared about selling further afield, build up a relationship with a logistics supplier like Movex, we moved to Motor trade delivery for sales beyond 100 miles as turned out much cheaper and handover to customer is really done well. saying all that a screamers always going to be a screamer regardless of where they are and dont be put off by distance selling regs, just get to know them and you'll be fine

• Like 1

It was probably off the back of a lot of customers travelling a long way to collect cars with £100 reservation fees on and noticing most people went ahead and most people were normal  we took the gamble with deliveries.   

I'd take the money. Not a single car leaves here without payment in full. You want a look pop down we open 7 days. You want to buy its payment in full. It does tend to be confident buyers who choose delivery the trouble some ones tend to buy in person. Apart from a copper in edinburgh who recently bought an A6 and is a thorn in my side.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll remember the Brut tip! 

Final question when paying a transport  company to drive to the car to the customer, am I supposed to ensure it has sufficient fuel for the delivery or I assume they factor in some juice there costings?

thanks  

16 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

We don’t do it anymore. If they reject the car you are in trouble.

What dont send on a transporter or drive yourself to them to satisfy them and you its good ?

16 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

It was probably off the back of a lot of customers travelling a long way to collect cars with £100 reservation fees on and noticing most people went ahead and most people were normal  we took the gamble with deliveries.   

I'd take the money. Not a single car leaves here without payment in full. You want a look pop down we open 7 days. You want to buy its payment in full. It does tend to be confident buyers who choose delivery the trouble some ones tend to buy in person. Apart from a copper in edinburgh who recently bought an A6 and is a thorn in my side.

Had a fine young Romanian gentleman (not a timewaster or haggler) purchase an A6 SE 2007 from ourselves sadly a week later battery gave up the ghost (cold weather snap) thus losing the key recognition code and rendering the old girl immobilised over Xmas and New yr period thankfully good old Mihai understood and was going home to Bucaresti for cheap whores and drugs anyways during festivities and we had ro replace Battery (£80 and get lad to re code key £60) now the Media centre is no coming on thus no radio Happy new fucking year grrrrr 

;)

Edited by Ek cars