Sign in to follow this  
JDM1983

Ford Ecoboost

I’m going to be helping the wife’s friend buy a Ford Fiesta today, I remember many of you guys saying the Ecoboost engines are trouble, could someone tell me what the main things to look out for are please? It’s not a car I would normally buy so don’t know much about them.

Edited by JDM1983
Typo

Early ones suffered with coolant hoses failing causing engine failure. 

Heard stories about clutches, but not 100% sure on that.

Check on the Ford Etis website if there is an outstanding recall on the car. Just tap in registration.

Or buy a 1.25, generally pretty bullet proof!

All as above, i would give an eco boost a swerve, if she insists on a 1.0 car try and put her into a late yaris, a great little car in 1.0 manual form.

Apparently they also leak water from behind the cambelt.

Special tools required. Around 10 hours labour.

I think you would help her by not buying one!

And if she absolutely needs one I just took a 2016, 19K miler in part ex, no issues, wheel refurbed, LL16XAZ, black, black wheels, red roof, hers for £8500

2 hours ago, tradex said:

B)Remember the Golden Rule about friends and family? 

RUN :lol:

19 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

And if she absolutely needs one I just took a 2016, 19K miler in part ex, no issues, wheel refurbed, LL16XAZ, black, black wheels, red roof, hers for £8500

last price ? :ph34r::D

5 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

last price ?

Last price, lost price. £8500. If she wants finance and does it with me she will also get £200 deposit contribution. 

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

This is the exact car my son is nagging me for, thing is I know how crap they are, I had a 13 plate earlier this year where the conrod shot through the block! Not to mention the security issues with the mickey mouse keys and the fact that scallies love to steal the bumpers and skirts off them. 

Worth noting that Ford have stood on with some out of warranty claims on these if the car has the correct Ford service history.

Thanks for all the advice chaps, took her to see an Ecoboost and a 1.2. Clearly educated her on the Ecoboost issues, so now it’s up-to her to decide.

7 hours ago, tradex said:

B)Remember the Golden Rule about friends and family? 

I’m not supplying, just trying to make sure she doesn’t buy a lemon. Did consider it, but thought not worth the ag for a few hundred quid benefit

4 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

cheers Nick, would have passed her onto you as I know she’d be in good hands, but her budget is £6k.

7 hours ago, awc1000 said:

All as above, i would give an eco boost a swerve, if she insists on a 1.0 car try and put her into a late yaris, a great little car in 1.0 manual form.

Disagree...... bad engine the 1.0, loves oil, buy the 1.3 or else at least 1.5 litres of oil every 1000 miles

Just how greedy are these penny-pinching, pound-wasting punters? They are sooooo desperate to save a few quid on tax and insurance (allegedly) they don their blinkers and only want to see the tiny-engined dross. 

18 hours ago, Contracts said:

Worth noting that Ford have stood on with some out of warranty claims on these if the car has the correct Ford service history.

......and for the many they don’t stand on there are plenty of breakers on eBay.

2 hours ago, tradex said:

My local relatively small Ford dealer has replaced over 80 'Ecobust' engines, so their partsman told me yesterday morning for a Panther Black paint stick. :blink:

.....Jesus H Christ I didn't know they were that bad. After I left I wondered if he meant the dealer group, or could be they get other dealers engines jobs to do,  he told me, I'm telling you......definitely one to swerve. 

Well, despite my best advice, she went for the Ecoboost over the 1.2, simply because it had Bluetooth :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, tradex said:

Ahh, certainly THE most important facet to consider on a used car, when you can't afford a new one, or a big garage bill. :lol:

PS even the cheapest aftermarket head units have Bluetooth nowadays:blink:

I got her a quote for a Parrott fitted, even with that the 1.2 was £500 cheaper than the Ecoboost, go figure. 

4 hours ago, JDM1983 said:

Well, despite my best advice, she went for the Ecoboost over the 1.2, simply because it had Bluetooth :rolleyes:

No point trying to educate them just another victim in my eyes.

14 hours ago, Ek cars said:

No point trying to educate them just another victim in my eyes.

I had a repeat customer (he has bought 4 off me in the last 12 months) bring his mate for a new car.

His mate had been to Ford and eyed up a 1.0 Ecoboost Powershift. I spewed everything I could about this car and convinced him not to do it. Instead he allowed me to find him a late Focus manual (non 1.0 Eco), not an easy task.

Anyway a few weeks past and I hadn't managed to find one that met the spec, mileage and budget so I called my customer (i.e. my repeat customer) to ask whether he would consider anything else. He said "The bloke is a twat, he has gone and bought the 1.0 ECO Power Shift from Ford."

I can't wait for the call :lol:

On 11/9/2019 at 6:50 PM, Scooby who said:

Disagree...... bad engine the 1.0, loves oil, buy the 1.3 or else at least 1.5 litres of oil every 1000 miles

Iv'e never had a bad one, call me if you don't want any youv'e got:)

Is the ecoboost the one where the cam belt runs in oil? If so, I’ve heard of cam belt failure where the wrong ie cheaper oil has been used. Ford won’t stand by warranty claims unless there is a proper service history .

As these things float down the user chain, it’ll become more apparent what a time bomb they are.

right or wrong, this  engine won awards when it was launched. I’ve driven one in a focus a few years ago and couldn’t believe it was a little 1.0. Ford did a great job developing it to get so much power from a tiny lump but in real world service , it’s proving fragile, particularly if not  serviced to the book.

1 hour ago, tradex said:

No substitute for cubic inches, which translates to bigger is better. 

So my Mrs keeps telling me!