John Bowman

Ban on diesel cars proposed for Bristol

Bristol City Council has approved a ban on diesel cars in a central zone during the daytime, which is set to come into effect in 2021. The proposal is now going to Whitehall and there will be a public consultation with residents and businesses.

What do dealers on the forum – especially those in the Bristol area – think of the proposal? Do you think it'll become a UK-wide trend – and what could it mean for sales and dealerships?

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/bristol-approves-daytime-ban-diesel-cars/180911

Feedback appreciated for use by Car Dealer Magazine. Thanks.

Edited by John Bowman

I think I mentioned this already in a thread somewhere.

IMO diesels will die slowly. But I live in London, and we're always ahead of the curve!:lol:

That’s what you get when you get a council under Labour control with heavy support from Lib Dem’s & Greens - I see the Green Party are a strong 4th in Bristol. 

Anyhow, if Corbyn or Swinson get voted in, Bristol banning a few compression ignition cars will be the least of this country’s worries.

Allegedly Bristol has a death toll of 300 p.a. due to air pollution! I’d love to see how the council arrived at that figure. I suspect a liberal lefty cock-eyed equation to suit their case.

3 minutes ago, BHM said:

Allegedly Bristol has a death toll of 300 p.a. due to air pollution!

They are the cocaine capital of the UK! 

Their air is polluted with more than diesel particles. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BHM said:

That’s what you get when you get a council under Labour control with heavy support from Lib Dem’s & Greens - I see the Green Party are a strong 4th in Bristol. 

Anyhow, if Corbyn or Swinson get voted in, Bristol banning a few compression ignition cars will be the least of this country’s worries.

Allegedly Bristol has a death toll of 300 p.a. due to air pollution! I’d love to see how the council arrived at that figure. I suspect a liberal lefty cock-eyed equation to suit their case.

Totally agree 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

You beat me to it.

Labour has ruined every city it has touched.

My children in Nottingham are suffering from constant council tax rises of 5% annuAlly.

The labour council say its due to Tory Austerity. BUT they purchased an energy company in 2015 and it's making a loss and so far have pumped £40m in to it - hold on i thought you lot said you had no money hence the reduction of services.

Edited by TangoVictor32

Spare a thought for all the Bristollian crusties living in converted ambulances and minibuses...

...you reap what you sow.

• Haha 1

https://www.cleanairforbristol.org/faq-items/how-are-the-300-deaths-in-bristol-calculated/

They just basically made that 300 figure up, not one single person has actually died from diesel fumes.

Maybe they'll send the revenue from the fines to the 40,000 children who work in the mines of the Democratic Republic of Congo for 50 pence a day, digging Cobalt for their electric cars batteries.

It would be interesting to hear from the Peugeot dealer in Bristol that is situated in the banned diesel car zone.

3 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Their air is polluted with more than diesel particles. 

:lol::lol::lol::lol: That’s your funniest post in ages! Funnily enough the last time I was in the Bristol City Centre plenty of bag heads asked me for financial assistance. 

54 minutes ago, J.T said:

It would be interesting to hear from the Peugeot dealer in Bristol that is situated in the banned diesel car zone.

They’ll have to start working night shifts for handovers of diesels.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BHM said:

They’ll have to start working night shifts for handovers of diesels.

.... and on a zero hour contract!

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, tradex said:

Ahh, just noticed that commercial vehicles can enter the town if they pay a charge.....

A cynic could argue that its OK to 'pollute/kill people' as long as the council earns from it:rolleyes:

And even private vehicles...

Yes the charge is supposedly to discourage people... Fact is in this country these charges are extortion money or protection money - you pay and you're protected. You dont you get bummed with a fine...

11 hours ago, John Bowman said:

Bristol City Council has approved a ban on diesel cars in a central zone during the daytime, which is set to come into effect in 2021. The proposal is now going to Whitehall and there will be a public consultation with residents and businesses.

What do dealers on the forum – especially those in the Bristol area – think of the proposal? Do you think it'll become a UK-wide trend – and what could it mean for sales and dealerships?

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/bristol-approves-daytime-ban-diesel-cars/180911

My initial thoughts are that if a city successfully bans diesel cars it will cause a fall in diesel sales as the public will loose confidence in the values on a national basis in fear the ban spreads to other cities.

As it is only early stages I would expect it will turn out to be pre Euro 6 or similar, or just end up operating as a revenue raising daily charge for non complying vehicles as there will be lots of key workers commuting into the city who can’t afford to upgrade their cars.

Isn't this what Leeds Council are bringing in? Plenty more will follow as it will be a big money spinner for these supposedly cash strapped local authorities. 

• Like 1

Funny how if you pay MONEY to the council its ok to drive vans in the city isn't it .

Either Diesels are bad or they aren't , A daily charge doesn't make it better does it , Like London Congestion Charge , they now pay to queue :lol:it was free to queue before wasn't it . 

Bit like speeding tickets from cameras , SPEED KILLS they say , then they charge you £100 for 35mph so its ok :o how the devil does that work . 

Just been talking to a ex traffic cop friend of mine about bad driving in this heavy rain , he hates cameras and said when he was on duty he stopped offenders and gave them a talking too , think it was called education then :rolleyes:

What it really wants is no one to drive into Bristol or anywhere else that bans cars , only need one week and they would change instantly :o

Mind maybe not Corbyn or the Libs /Green idiots they haven't a clue about businesses full stop 

Rant over I'm going for dinner now :)

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 11:00 AM, John Bowman said:

but the clowncil are also thinking of introducing a scrappage scheme, set to be introduced as part of the scheme, please read the whole article !

cheap diesels in bristol lads ! come on, scan that part of the country ! 

labour want to scrap business rates for shops in town, then want to stop customers coming in ? :huh:

On 11/6/2019 at 11:05 PM, Contracts said:

My initial thoughts are that if a city successfully bans diesel cars it will cause a fall in diesel sales as the public will loose confidence in the values on a national basis in fear the ban spreads to other cities.

As it is only early stages I would expect it will turn out to be pre Euro 6 or similar, or just end up operating as a revenue raising daily charge for non complying vehicles as there will be lots of key workers commuting into the city who can’t afford to upgrade their cars.

I'm not a million miles from Bristol; a TSI motor I have in stock has jumped to +400% in AT Portal in the past two days, I had 2 calls about it yesterday and woke up to 3 emails about it. It is a really good example and priced well tbf but it does seem a hell of a coincidence.

What happens when you buy an old diesel out of manheim bristol you cant drive it home it will need to be transported?!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 15Cars said:

I'm not a million miles from Bristol

None of us are :lol:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tom said:

What happens when you buy an old diesel out of manheim bristol you cant drive it home it will need to be transported?!

Yes, on the back of the big dirty diesel truck - the one the posh parents of Bristol will be stoning as it drives past asphyxiating poor little Tarquin & Matilda.

Edited by BHM

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Yes, on the back of the big dirty diesel truck - the one the posh parents of Bristol will be stoning as it drives past asphyxiating poor little Tarquin & Matilda.

Haha that made me laugh , 2litre diesel car on back of 6 litre delivery truck because cars are banned , typical modern  Finking that isn't it :lol:

When I was a lad we recycled everything 

Milk In Glass bottles 

Cabbages in News paper 

Fruit in Paper bags 

Pop Bottles in glass 

Fish n chips in Paper 

Electric Milk carts 

Then the modern youf changed it all didn't they and now blame us :blink: 

On 11/6/2019 at 5:10 PM, Nick M.K. said:

Harsh!

I believe that is my “beloved” Penzance’s claim to fame!!

2 minutes ago, CRW said:

Harsh!

There was a TOP 10 Article recently. 

Bristol number 1, Penzance not even on the list :-)

2 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Penzance not even on the list :

It should have been.

half the town are off their tits every weekend. 

1 hour ago, sparky said:

This is all really ridiculous, next the tree huggers will be blaming asthmatics for us being able to wear a pair of speedos on Xmas day. Oh wait a minute....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50215011

Who are these twats that come out with this drivel? How do they draw a wage every month?

Apparently just one asthmatic person can generate UP TO 63 STONES OF CO2 PER YEAR! How fucking big are their inhalers? 

Also 4% of the NHS’s greenhouse gas emissions are from.......inhalers! Cripes!! I’m glad I’m not asthmatic because after scanning through that news piece I reckon there needs to be a cull of asthmatics in order to save little Tarquin & Matilda of Bristol.

Going back to the original question about Bristol’s filthy air, how’s this for irony? Bristol’s postcodes start with BS. 

Edited by BHM