Pip

Are you still moving diesels or has it slowed.

I have a few diesels which are sticking around but I have petrols as well not selling. Ticking over as normal but are diesels still worth buying?

Yes and no. 

Diesel is still the best fuel for 80% of people BUT because of all the bad press and scaremongering they just don’t dare buy them. 

Because of the mileages that they cover they can’t use a petrol either so they just stay put and don’t change car unless they MUST. 

For small city cars diesel is becoming a No for me but for large highish spec 3.0 litre plus prestige models I’d stock diesel with no hesitation whatsoever. 

If you're in London then obviously a No No.

Outside / Skirts, 50/50.

Ulez clamping down again to the "inside M25 area" by 2021/2.

As Nick above said, people who want the big heavy german engines are still buying and don't really car about the costs of owning the car and are more interested in getting a good deal on the car than anything else.  Sold a Jaguar Portfolio 30k on the clock on a 13 plate, no Ulez, he wasn't fussed but because it was a good price and had every possible extra fitted to it inc rear entertainment.

• Like 1

Most of our cars are diesels, rarely have petrols in fact. Never had much of a problem.

People do ask about DPF issues occasionally, but that's about it.

With the Birmingham congestion zone, I imagine that might change for our more local customers.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Most of our cars are diesels, rarely have petrols in fact. Never had much of a problem.

People do ask about DPF issues occasionally, but that's about it.

With the Birmingham congestion zone, I imagine that might change for our more local customers.

Still selling ok up here in scotland to the right buyer also a lot of traders still buying at the auction so must be turning them over i guess 

I’ve always run petrol cars until our present two, the ulez rollout has hit me thinking I should move them on at some point soon (or at least one of them) and the Birmingham think I wasn’t aware of. I’m not sure what the effect will be in large car sales as having run big petrol saloons before the mpg numbers can be scary unless you go for 4 cylinders. 

20 hours ago, CCC said:

I’ve always run petrol cars until our present two, the ulez rollout has hit me thinking I should move them on at some point soon (or at least one of them) and the Birmingham think I wasn’t aware of. I’m not sure what the effect will be in large car sales as having run big petrol saloons before the mpg numbers can be scary unless you go for 4 cylinders. 

5.0litre V8 petrol is the way to go :D and an electric push bike for the city :lol: 25 mph down the pavement , its sooooo much fun watching em jump , not so good today though its persisting down with the wet stuff :o, solution ! "stay out the towns on wet days ":)

46 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

5.0litre V8 petrol is the way to go :D and an electric push bike for the city :lol: 25 mph down the pavement , its sooooo much fun watching em jump , not so good today though its persisting down with the wet stuff :o, solution ! "stay out the towns on wet days ":)

What electric bike have you got? I'm sure I saw someone get nicked for not having insurance on one :lol:

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

What electric bike have you got? I'm sure I saw someone get nicked for not having insurance on one :lol:

You wont catch me buying  an electric bike :lol: there's a camper van place next door and hes got one , Spezialised  I think its called ,£7,000 :o its cost he said , I pinch it for fetching milk :D and take it in the shop too :lol:

I'm still selling diesels, but have noticed that they don't carry the same premium over petrol's like they used to. For example I have two Octavia's one manual petrol and the other auto diesel, they are both the same price despite the auto diesel having less miles on it. Eighteen months to two years ago and the diesel would have been a grand more than the petrol.

I still prefer a drop of derv myself, especially on Merc and Beemer.

5 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Last petrol was E500, so a whole 5.5 litres :) 

Before that a mere 3.5 litres of BMW. 

Don’t miss 20mpg though, X5 3.0d does 28 for me, I’d hate to think what the old 4.8iS V8 did. 

Edited by CCC

Diesels are only an issue in London (because we're all idiots). You guys in the sticks won't be affected?

6 minutes ago, metcars said:

Diesels are only an issue in London (because we're all idiots). You guys in the sticks won't be affected?

And Birmingham with the new ZONE they are implementing.

Diesels have been v hard work here- South Coast (with a few exceptions) for a couple of years now.  You can see the punters face change -as if they've just chewed wasp-once they hear the D word. Especially true with the over 60's who make up a large proportion of our local conurbation.

2 hours ago, JA Trader said:

And Birmingham with the new ZONE they are implementing.

Of course it doesn't just affect the city, but the areas around the used by commuters too. If you include every city in the UK there's not much of the country that won't feel the effect of low emission zones. I think there's interesting times ahead.

2 hours ago, metcars said:

Of course it doesn't just affect the city, but the areas around the used by commuters too. If you include every city in the UK there's not much of the country that won't feel the effect of low emission zones. I think there's interesting times ahead.

Unless you're a pensioner probably, somewhat ironically given Noacross's earlier post.

Seeing quite a few classics now coming on the market for fear of issues once it rolls out to the North Circular. I fancy an R129 but half the attraction is tooling London on days out.

Off to London tonight and timing it to arrive just after 6pm to avoid congestion charge.

3 hours ago, CCC said:

Unless you're a pensioner probably, somewhat ironically given Noacross's earlier post.

Seeing quite a few classics now coming on the market for fear of issues once it rolls out to the North Circular. I fancy an R129 but half the attraction is tooling London on days out.

Off to London tonight and timing it to arrive just after 6pm to avoid congestion charge.

Yeah, that's me, I'm about a mile outside of the North Circular, so I'm in the thick of it. I posted a while back about no longer stocking diesels.

50/50 for me. I’m 35 miles from the centre of London. 

54 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Yeah, "Diesels could rise in popularity again as efficient Euro 6 models begin to enter the used car market."

Could being the operative word?

The used market could be awash with unwanted euro 6 diesels?

You naughty people selling diesels...if the daft sods known as Extinction Rebels find out about you..they will turn up at your lots with a fire engine and spray red

:lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TangoVictor32 said:

You naughty people selling diesels...if the daft sods known as Extinction Rebels find out about you..they will turn up at your lots with a fire engine and spray red

:lol:

Bring it on . We will smoke them out :lol: