Scrawf

Am I being had?

Guys

Bit of advice please.  I got a lead today via Motors.co.uk and I replied via email with this:

Hello David

Simon here from Sundex Automotive.  I received your enquiry via email from Motors.co.uk.  I wondered if I could provide you with some more detail on the car?  If you would like to speak with me today please call my mobile on: 07523********

It's a smashing little car.  Less than 3 years old with only 32,000 miles and it's just been fully serviced and inspected at the main dealer (including breaks and aircon) and the road tax on these Polos at zero!  So other than an MOT (due in July) you can enjoy a year of cost free motoring!

There is more information and a video presentation on our website at https://www.sundexautomotive.co.uk/volkswagen-polo-1-4-tdi-bluemotion-

Please have a look as let me know if you would like to arrange to come and view the car and take a test drive or alternatively (as I am getting quite a few enquiries) if you would like to reserve the car a deposit of £250 will secure it for you.  I can arrange for you to pay that via a PayPal invoice.  The remaining balance to be paid via bank transfer.

Hope this is of help and let me know how you would like to proceed.

Kind regards

Simon

I then got this response:

Great!. please consider it sold and take the ads down off the site,i am buying it for my son and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location .

Regarding the payment i can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction. Kindly get back to me with your PayPal e-mail address, Name, Final Price you want for it and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

What worries me is that I know a PayPal transaction can be unwound.  So I'm sure I would be better sticking to my guns and asking for the balance of the payment via bank transfer but I want to ask you guys what you think of this!

Thanks

Scrawf

Edited by Scrawf
Edit

I would say 100% you are being had. Don't ever take large amounts on Paypal as they can unwind the deal so easily. Classic scammer if you ask me. I would be telling him to jog on

Thanks guys. Thought as much!  Doesn’t need to see the car in person?  Wants to pay the whole amount via PayPal?  Yeah I think I’ll skip this one!

Thanks for the support!

Scrawf

I’ve had the same before, it was virtually word for word what you’ve received. They send you a bogus email from Paypal saying funds received in your account. They will then contact you trying to arrange to collect the car but obviously when you log on to PayPal nothing is in there. 

I’ve sold cars to people who’ve never seen the car in person but every single time it’s been after a phone conversation and a bank transfer - not an email sob story. Steer well clear of anything along those lines

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Buyers call. End

Mostly not these days for us anyway, our internal stats show messenger to be the most popular form of first contact. 

The above example however is a blatant scam.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Mostly not these days for us anyway, our internal stats show messenger to be the most popular form of first contact. 

The above example however is a blatant scam.

FB maybe.

Buyers call

I can only assume the courier or whoever is involved or else I would be tempted to take the payment and point they in the direction of our Biffa bins.

Setup a PayPal account registered to a bank account you don't use, get him to pay, whip the cash out of the account. Scam the scammer. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojo121 said:

Setup a PayPal account registered to a bank account you don't use, get him to pay, whip the cash out of the account. Scam the scammer. :lol:

Err..... if he receives any funds using your method.... it won’t be a scam. 

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Buyers call

Yours do because if they don’t they don’t have a hope in hell of buying a car from you. 

We get a lot just turn up having given all the info they need.

Regarding paypal blatant scam. Also when telling people you have changed brakes spell it right breaks sounds shit.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Err..... if he receives any funds using your method.... it won’t be a scam. 

You're not thinking this through - what do you think the scam is? If Scrawf doesn't get sent money in the first place then he won't be sending the car off. I think the scammer sends the funds, receives the car then draws the money back by claiming fraud or the car has an issue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

You're not thinking this through - what do you think the scam is? If Scrawf doesn't get sent money in the first place then he won't be sending the car off. I think the scammer sends the funds, receives the car then draws the money back by claiming fraud or the car has an issue.

So you are saying there is such a thing as a scammer that invests money and sends it out to potential victims!

I think the scam here is going to be a email that looks like a confirmation email from paypal that funds have been received.

Or is it possible, like a stolen credit card info scam, that it is stolen PayPal details?  Also Pay Pal can be recalled like a credit card.

I smell a rat, so would not do it personally.

And "not only but also, come 'ere there's more" ......................

Pay Pal often hold the money for a week or so, by which time the scrote has opened a dispute for a refund !!

Anyone who can do Pay Pal can do a Bank Transfer, even if it is set up over the phone, my 86 year old mother in law can do BT's over the phone !!

We found that out when we discovered she has been sending silly amounts to one of the scamming lazy unemployed arse holes from "the other side" of Mels family  :( 

101% Scam !!

Edited by Dave2302

15 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Buyers call. End

This shouldn’t be difficult to understand.

This is Scam is old as world. Received exactly same email with exactly same wording when was selling old sofa on gumtree 5 years ago...

Another classic is from a sailor who is in the middle of the sea now but desperately needs your car... 

Or a bloke on an oil rig who can't get a phone signal to call you but funnily enough, can get on the Internet!!! 

• Like 1