Sign in to follow this  
Tom

Nice to see the Easter holidays have kicked in...

All the dickheads have started creeping out  with their kids to kick tyres and test drive cars with no money :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Tom said:

All the dickheads have started creeping out  with their kids to kick tyres and test drive cars with no money :rolleyes:

Yep, I’ve sacked off a couple of arseholes over the phone. Mind you today I’ve done two, a (proper) friend has just texted to say he wants one of my cars and I’ve a serious viewing tomorrow. 

Bank holidays to me means to be extra cautious who to let visit because there’ll be thousands of middle aged men with time to kill wanting to look at cars. 

Dead as a dodo here too. Sold 3 cars 8th-15th, now gone quiet again.

Throw in 2 "first 30 day" repairs, and it's fun times.

Been busy for us start of the week but all the mums and dads with an unlicensed 17 year old in tow are starting to surface...I might go hide during the 11am - 12 midday pre pub lunch time waster slot tomorrow and Monday.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2019 at 7:24 PM, tradegirl said:

If 2/3rds of your stock come back with problems right away just check you are prepping right. If you are and its just genuinely something has just happened we could not have forseen don't be to hard on yourself. If its a case of we should be better than this up the prep game.

I hate bank holiday weekends, more and more. Had yesterday off in today and closed completely Sunday with Monday off.  Im a grafter and when its deathly quiet is the only time I hate being at work. The lads managed 2 yesterday one was pre confirmed the other remote finance prop who came and collected. Bit of a result

have been busy during the week including 2 on Good Friday but nothing booked in for today and the phone hasnt rung yet. If nothing changes by 2, I'm locking up and going home!

On 18/04/2019 at 7:24 PM, tradegirl said:

Dear me! I hope you’re a big pitch cos as a one man band I’ve not had 2 returns in 2 years.

36 minutes ago, BHM said:

Dear me! I hope you’re a big pitch cos as a one man band I’ve not had 2 returns in 2 years.

im saying nothing as i believe in karma but my slate is super clean clean too :)

1 hour ago, BHM said:

They daren't!!!

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Either your quality control is second to none or you are selling none runners !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BHM said:

To be fair he didnt say what the repairs where could have been major or minor, we have had three this month alone, 

Renault clio heater controls on speed 3-4 stopped working £12 fix

Ford Fiesta boot pop failed £15.00 fix

Clunk on a Fiat Punto drop link £16 fix 

£43.00 total claims this month more than happy with that, got an easter egg from the punto customer for prompt service cant fault it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Either your quality control is second to none or you are selling none runners !

Straight talk & mechanical preparation - it’s easier doing the job right in the first place.

They ALL get used for a few miles (usually at least 50), I correct anything mechanically deficient (or sell those beyond hope clearly as such), reMOT about 90%, fuck off what I consider to be arseholes over the phone, I do not respond to texts, only sell to people who I consider acceptable customers, talk straight & deal straight. The fact I only shift about 100 per year obviously helps. 

In the last 2.5 years I’ve put my hand in my pocket once (£50 & told the man to go to Trading Standards if he wasn’t happy - an old p/x Astra that he wanted new alternator money for but as I pointed out old cars have old parts). In that time I’ve probably had 2 or 3 other phone calls from chancers trying it on (usually on my bottom end stock) “cos my mechanic says xxxxxx” - a few questions soon catches out this scum at which point I tell them to jog on. However in that time I’ve lost count of the number of NEW clutches, tyres, calipers, batteries, wheel bearings, disc & pads I’ve renewed prior to sale so I guess my ALMOST hassle-free business model has its price.

I’ve cursed myself now, there’ll be a flood of whingers on Tuesday :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Straight talk & mechanical preparation - it’s easier doing the job right in the first place.

They ALL get used for a few miles (usually at least 50), I correct anything mechanically deficient (or sell those beyond hope clearly as such), reMOT about 90%, fuck off what I consider to be arseholes over the phone, I do not respond to texts, only sell to people who I consider acceptable customers, talk straight & deal straight. The fact I only shift about 100 per year obviously helps. 

In the last 2.5 years I’ve put my hand in my pocket once (£50 & told the man to go to Trading Standards if he wasn’t happy - an old p/x Astra that he wanted new alternator money for but as I pointed out old cars have old parts). In that time I’ve probably had 2 or 3 other phone calls from chancers trying it on (usually on my bottom end stock) “cos my mechanic says xxxxxx” - a few questions soon catches out this scum at which point I tell them to jog on. However in that time I’ve lost count of the number of NEW clutches, tyres, calipers, batteries, wheel bearings, disc & pads I’ve renewed prior to sale so I guess my ALMOST hassle-free business model has its price.

I’ve cursed myself now, there’ll be a flood of whingers on Tuesday :lol:

I think it’s a good model. You get cars mechanically straight, don’t do too much cosmetically and sell to people who don’t give too much of a shit about scrapes and bruises but just want a boggo car that doesn’t need any spending on it. 

I do think you need a strong stomach and thick skin for dealing with some of the fantasists out there! 

4 hours ago, BHM said:

No, small trader.
To be fair, one was loose plug under the seat which threw up an airbag light on the test drive when they slid the seat all the way forward, and then the rear wiper was leaking water inside the tailgate an hour after they left. This after 500 miles of use (DPF regen), Sytner health check, MOT and clean PDI. Sod's law. Customer didn't want to come back down for repairs, so reimbursed labour etc.

The other was on a £2000 2010 Focus. Full clean (legit) MOT 50 or so miles prior to sale. She called 2 weeks after sale to complain about a knocking she'd heard the first few days. But she continued driving the car for 2 weeks :rolleyes: She was advised it was a ball joint, and indeed it was, but it was a noise we'd never heard before when prepping the car. She said she never hit any potholes. Again clean MOT, PDI, and car was thoroughly road tested. Easier to replace whole track arm, then replaced the other because I'd rather not see her again if imbalances creep up.

Incidentally, both buyers bought the cars for a song, so...I guess it serves me right for not sticking to my guns on the price.

Had 4 returns in 6 years (and 1 chancer), so...fingers crossed.

4 minutes ago, EPV said:

I think it’s a good model. You get cars mechanically straight, don’t do too much cosmetically and sell to people who don’t give too much of a shit about scrapes and bruises but just want a boggo car that doesn’t need any spending on it. 

I do think you need a strong stomach and thick skin for dealing with some of the fantasists out there! 

James, unfortunately most people want the world. A mechanically sound car, with services, clean bodywork and interior, and all at the right price.

Sensible people who know they're getting a great car at a great price, are few and far between.

4 minutes ago, EPV said:

BHM’s successfull returns policy is probably helped by the large Alsatian he has chained to his fence..!

2 hours ago, tradegirl said:

No, small trader.
To be fair, one was loose plug under the seat which threw up an airbag light on the test drive when they slid the seat all the way forward, and then the rear wiper was leaking water inside the tailgate an hour after they left. This after 500 miles of use (DPF regen), Sytner health check, MOT and clean PDI. Sod's law. Customer didn't want to come back down for repairs, so reimbursed labour etc.

The other was on a £2000 2010 Focus. Full clean (legit) MOT 50 or so miles prior to sale. She called 2 weeks after sale to complain about a knocking she'd heard the first few days. But she continued driving the car for 2 weeks :rolleyes: She was advised it was a ball joint, and indeed it was, but it was a noise we'd never heard before when prepping the car. She said she never hit any potholes. Again clean MOT, PDI, and car was thoroughly road tested. Easier to replace whole track arm, then replaced the other because I'd rather not see her again if imbalances creep up.

Incidentally, both buyers bought the cars for a song, so...I guess it serves me right for not sticking to my guns on the price.

Had 4 returns in 6 years (and 1 chancer), so...fingers crossed.

James, unfortunately most people want the world. A mechanically sound car, with services, clean bodywork and interior, and all at the right price.

Sensible people who know they're getting a great car at a great price, are few and far between.

Depends on what you stock. 10 year old BMW’s vs 10 year old Volvos. I’ve sold both. Different breed from each other. 

13 hours ago, trade vet said:

BHM’s successfull returns policy is probably helped by the large Alsatian he has chained to his fence..!

That’s called “The Mrs”.

11 hours ago, EPV said:

Depends on what you stock. 10 year old BMW’s vs 10 year old Volvos. I’ve sold both. Different breed from each other. 

So so true. My last two XC90s (£5500 & 5750) the buyers did not give a toss, both deals done in about 15 minutes. It’s worth mentioning that they had usual Volvo side bolster material splitting - I pointed it out to the buyers this weekend & they looked at me as though I was from outer space for even mentioning it. Now imagine the response of the typical BMW/VAG man! What would follow would be a pitiful display of greed, whinging & nonsensical comments brought on by their expectations of perfection. 

• Like 1

Funny how different cars attract certain type of people

21 hours ago, David Ayers said:

They daren't!!!

Cheeky sod :lol:

1 hour ago, Lazz said:

Funny how different cars attract certain type of people

...and funny how some cars attract no one. I have a selection :(

43 minutes ago, BHM said:

Cheeky sod :lol:

...and funny how some cars attract no one. I have a selection :(

Shall we start a club?

On 18/04/2019 at 4:13 PM, Tom said:

:lol:

over 25 only

need to see licence

forms to fill before test drive

and if all else fails, temporarily loose the keys ;)

Edited by have a word with the wife

Back in the day when I worked in a dealership as a young lad starting out in this game they operated a Pendle type sales process they would loose he customers keys for a bit so the customer could not walk.

i was told by my then manager that all this the customer is always right is a load of bull, and if the customer is wrong tell them.

them we're the days

15 hours ago, Lazz said:

all this the customer is always right is a load of bull, and if the customer is wrong tell them.

Too true!!! Get the fuckers told! :lol: