Tony911

Insurance claim what to do

Hi all, had a call from the trade insurance yesterday stating a vehicle which was on our policy was involved in a accident can we please provide proof of sale and supplied us details of accident and vehicle involved. Looked up the reg and we did sell this car on the 13/1/2019 and paid via bank transfer. The problem is the accident happened on the 8/1/2019 at a nursing home in Blackburn which is a good 2 hours drive from where we are and about 3 hours away from the customer who purchased it 5 days after the alleged incident. We never drive stock cars only to valeters, garages or test drives. Guessing they have got something messed up here but in worse case sinario how I can we prove the car was parked up? Any advise before calling up the insurance company on Monday morning as worried this claim could be put against us

17 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

Any advise before calling up the insurance company on Monday morning as worried this claim could be put against us

This could've been a case of a similar reg number on a completely different vehicle of the same make and model and supplying dealer. 

Just tell your insurer you were not involved in the accident, you car wasn't there on the day and show them proof of the purchase mileage, MOT mileage and sale mileage that show that the car hasn't travelled the alleged hundreds of miles. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Just tell your insurer you were not involved in the accident

I had this years ago, get this stated categorically to the insurer by letter, recorded and first class post, (send 2 identical letters), then legally they "have been served" ;)

Agree with Nick, another similar Car, someone has written the number down wrong, typo etc etc, but fact is once it's "in the system" etc etc it can be an absolute nightmare ;)

Edited by Dave2302
  • Like 1

CCTV from your forecourt, a signed statement from one of your staff or a neighbouring business or similar in addition to the mileage readings should suffice. 

Good luck with it. 

• Like 1

Cctv footage doesn't cover that far back only holds for 3 weeks. Just wondering if somebody has used cloned number plates. Will phone up and provide them with sales invoice payment details. Just worried they might put it down to our policy and claim on it as it was in our possession at time of incident 

11 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

Cctv footage doesn't cover that far back only holds for 3 weeks. Just wondering if somebody has used cloned number plates. Will phone up and provide them with sales invoice payment details. Just worried they might put it down to our policy and claim on it as it was in our possession at time of incident 

Would have thought you will be ok once you provide all the relevant data insurance companies do not need many excuses not to pay out give as many as you can.

45 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

Just worried they might put it down to our policy and claim on it as it was in our possession at time of incident 

They cannot just claim against your insurance based on the number plate...

Has the other person in the accident verified what car it is? Is it the same model and make as your car? It might be totally something different.

When manufacturers make cars and plates are assigned some plates are very similar so plate could have been misread especially if it was damaged in the accident.

I Dont think you need do any more than tell the insurance company the car was stationary (as all your stock is) at the time of the incident. If you have your own personal car then that would surely help your case - why would you be in a pitch car 2 hours from work?

If they become pushy you can cover yourself more by providing:

Presuming you got the car from auction the invoice will have mileage of the vehicle on it.

You then got your advert with the stated mileage and your pdi with the mileage. 

So that proves you didnt do a 150+ mile round trip.

On the alleged date you might have been out shopping for example and your bank statement could say you was elsewhere. 

Or another possibility is your buyer did have an accident and they have the wrong date of the incident hence they come to you. You might need to speak to your buyer to cover your own backside

54 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

If they become pushy you can cover yourself more by providing:

Presuming you got the car from auction the invoice will have mileage of the vehicle on it.

You then got your advert with the stated mileage and your pdi with the mileage. 

So that proves you didnt do a 150+ mile round trip.

On the alleged date you might have been out shopping for example and your bank statement could say you was elsewhere. 

Or another possibility is your buyer did have an accident and they have the wrong date of the incident hence they come to you. You might need to speak to your buyer to cover your own backside

/\ /\ /\ LIKE ........... Exactly This

And the new MOT will have mileage and date on it ;)

Edited by Dave2302

Just had an update on this and insure have been forwarded images of the car from the police report and it looks like the number plates have been cloned as the car is a total write off with the number plate which we had in stock but it's definitely not that car looks to be a 2004 2005 vw golf with 2008 number plate and also ours was a gt sport whole different front end, alloys, leathers, we sold the car 5 days later which we have provided the sale invoice to our insurers. They are asking for images of the car which we do not have and AutoTrader only keep on file for about 5 weeks once it's sold. :( planning on driving over to the customer who bought it and get a written statement off them if they can. In the images all the front end is smashed all down drivers side and airbags have deployed even the side curtain airbags and there is no way we could get all that work done and sell it within 5 days. Yes the arse holes did a hit and abondoned the car:angry: any advice guys much appreciated 

5 minutes ago, Tony911 said:

Just had an update on this and insure have been forwarded images of the car from the police report and it looks like the number plates have been cloned as the car is a total write off with the number plate which we had in stock but it's definitely not that car looks to be a 2004 2005 vw golf with 2008 number plate and also ours was a gt sport whole different front end, alloys, leathers, we sold the car 5 days later which we have provided the sale invoice to our insurers. They are asking for images of the car which we do not have and AutoTrader only keep on file for about 5 weeks once it's sold. :( planning on driving over to the customer who bought it and get a written statement off them if they can. In the images all the front end is smashed all down drivers side and airbags have deployed even the side curtain airbags and there is no way we could get all that work done and sell it within 5 days. Yes the arse holes did a hit and abondoned the car:angry: any advice guys much appreciated 

tony can i suggest you keep photos of all cars advertised? they dont take up much room if you have a  computer i just date them to the month and year they are advertised

i know its a pain but i started a few months back of screen shotting my adverts once car sold so i have a full true record of what was in the advert,i use an old samsung ml printer black and white for this purpose and i can get over a 1000 sheets out of it for less than £10

these i attache to my paper copy of each invoice plus paper copy of pdi plus warranty copy etc etc,i know its a lot of work and paper but i just store it all in my cellar

these days paperwork is king

i thiunk ive said before i had the same as you years ago buyer came up took a car next thing my own cars plates were in a cloning in chelsea london another accident

it must be non stop for insurers

on a funny note i swapped some plates the other day and got the reg wrong,i reused them one way unstealable screws so its gouing to be fun taking them off ...again........

good luck with your progress by the way

• Thanks 1

Started keeping images on laptop ever since this happened. Funny enough have found customers contact details and spoken with him he has forwarded a screenshot of the advert which he has sent to a pal via facebook and a couple of more images of the car. What I don't understand is if the police have compounded the car what was written off there is no way we could sell it as the police have that vehicle with dodgy plates. 

be very careful here and keep on top of your insurer. If i was you get the customer and get some photos of the car provide sales invoices and documentation also evidence as much as you can these are two different cars.

Its a strange thing insurance your insurer has an Road Traffic Act responsibility for this claim unless they can provide this wasn't your car. Be warned the other insurers often don't accept this and it can easily make its way to litigation often solicitors will see sense but not always

This is what i used to do for a job was handler the insurance claims so if you need any advice drop me PM

3 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

So have they cloned the chassis number as well

I was thinking this , the chassis number must be different and will give the police the correct plate number for the smashed up car . 

44 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

So have they cloned the chassis number as well?

Not sure but gonna give them a call tomorrow and provide them with the images the customer has provided of the advert which clearly shows it's a total different car. What I don't get is if the police compounded that car how could we sell that vehicle? 

42 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

I was thinking this , the chassis number must be different and will give the police the correct plate number for the smashed up car . 

Only if the police have the smashed up car still

Often is just recovered and disposed of. Likelihood is that the vehicle was stolen so doubt anyone stuck around to chat ....

10 hours ago, Tony911 said:

Tell them that and provide evidence that the 2004 and 2008 models differ. 

Also is the car the same colour? If not point this out 

You got your mid removal and add on dates. Provide these.

Your BCA invoice. If you bought it from BCA that is. If you know someone workibg there have a friendly chat see if they can dig their advert out and hopefully you can use their images?

They might keep things on file for 6 years(I might be wrong about this).

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 11:49 PM, TangoVictor32 said:

Tell them that and provide evidence that the 2004 and 2008 models differ. 

Also is the car the same colour? If not point this out 

You got your mid removal and add on dates. Provide these.

Your BCA invoice. If you bought it from BCA that is. If you know someone workibg there have a friendly chat see if they can dig their advert out and hopefully you can use their images?

They might keep things on file for 6 years(I might be wrong about this).

The only reason they have traced it back to us that it was on our mid at time of incident. The car is same colour but older and not a gt sport like the 1 we sold. They are looking for the driver we believe as the police must have that car which was used in incident. Will provide with all the evidence we have put together today and take it from there, they can happily contact our customer who will confirm the car he bought from us with that reg is a totally different car and he still has it and hasn't had any issue with it what so ever:)

What year would you guys say it was? Is it a gt sport?

Edited by Tony911

9 hours ago, Tony911 said:

The only reason they have traced it back to us that it was on our mid at time of incident. The car is same colour but older and not a gt sport like the 1 we sold. They are looking for the driver we believe as the police must have that car which was used in incident. Will provide with all the evidence we have put together today and take it from there, they can happily contact our customer who will confirm the car he bought from us with that reg is a totally different car and he still has it and hasn't had any issue with it what so ever:)

What year would you guys say it was? Is it a gt sport?

20190815_003432.jpg

Looks like a gt tdi around early 2004-to late 2006 

I sold these from new. They came out on a 53 (just) and though the mk5 shape runs to 2008, this style of GT finished in 2006/7, and was replaced by the gt sport model. Sorry to sound geeky, the gt sport will have 17" alloys ( those are 16") and a different grille. Absolutely no way is that a picture of a 2008 car.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MattR said:

I sold these from new. They came out on a 53 (just) and though the mk5 shape runs to 2008, this style of GT finished in 2006/7, and was replaced by the gt sport model. Sorry to sound geeky, the gt sport will have 17" alloys ( those are 16") and a different grille. Absolutely no way is that a picture of a 2008 car.

This 100% Tony keep us posted how you get on 

Edited by Casper